CM's Canine fact of the day: #5

CollieMan

Experienced Member
A dog's mouth typically exerts 150 to 200 pounds of pressure per square inch, with some dogs exerting up to 450 pounds per square inch.

That could seriously ruin your day!

CollieMan

Experienced Member
Ta Da!

"Normal chewing places about 68 lbs/sq inch of pressure on the back teeth.

If you intentionally clench your teeth you may increase that force to about 150 lbs/sq inch.

However, an individual who clenches and grinds their teeth subconsciously at night can place up 1200 lbs/sq inch of force. That sounds like an industrial grinding machine!"

Dental Health Directory Library
Bite and Occlusion
http://www.dental--health.com/biteocclusionpohl.html

Even more information on the subject...

mopar53190

Add sharp teeth to that mix!!! And their neck muscles used for tearing!!! And their determination!!! They can make hamburger out of a sirloin steak in no time!!! OUCH!!! I'm glad I never was on the receiving end of a serious attack!!!

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks CollieMan!! I just wanted to see how much stronger a dog's jaw muscles is compared to ours. :) I guess since they use it for literally everything then it's much much stronger.

Thanks for the info!

l_l_a

german shepherds have one of the highest bite pressures among dogs. thus we made conscious effort to teaching our "soft mouth" and no teeth on human skin, and self-control when playing!