Clickers

harry8

I've never used clickers before when training my 17 month old dog. I've always kept it simple using positive reinforcement through treats.

After reading the notes in level one i'm wondering whether it would be an additional benefit or shall I just stick to what we know? Is it even too late to start clicker training?

Thnx

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
Do you use a marker signal? Many people use a word like "Yes!" to pinpoint the behavior that they want to reinforce. This works the same way as a clicker. :)

harry8

No, i just say Good Boy and give him a treat. I've kept it quite basic as i works with simple 'tricks' like sit, down etc but if i'm going to teach more complex behaviours i think i'm going to need to use a clicker to make sure Harry knows the exact behaviour i'm reinforcing.

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
When shaping behaviors, you pretty much need a clicker. Because some of the movements that you need to reinforce are very subtle and you need to pinpoint it accurately. :)

They are very cheap, like $2 or so at any pet store. Get the I-Click if you can as it's very comfortable and it's my favorite! :) You can also check out my store as there are always some eBay sellers that sell them very cheap.

yoyopoodle

I say 'yes' or use a clicker depending on the dog, behavior I'm trying to get, and what other props I need my hands for. I highly recommend having one because they are extremely effective.

A dog is never too old to be clicker-trained :)

zcoonhound

harry8;7404 said:
I've never used clickers before when training my 17 month old dog. I've always kept it simple using positive reinforcement through treats.

After reading the notes in level one i'm wondering whether it would be an additional benefit or shall I just stick to what we know? Is it even too late to start clicker training?

Thnx
I agree with the other replies, that it is never too late to start clicker training and it is a great benefit to your training style. Z and I started using clicker training after "discovering" it during research on tricks to train. We had started with obedience training using the lure method and found clicker training to be fun for both of us. It allows Z to "think" her way through the actions for the trick and we usually end up with something unique! I plan on introducing the clicker to my 7 year old MULE this summer and see where I can take it!:msngiggle:

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Zcoonhound, let us know how it goes with your mule!!!
I've heard of many people using clicker training with horses, mules, donkeys, and other hooved animals. ^^ I'm curious to see how it works, but haven't used it with my own. Hope it goes well for you! :)

storm22

Experienced Member
ive wanted o try clicker training with our horses but what to train them? thats what i have to think about any ideas Zcoonhound

there right its never to late too start clicker training, unless your dog is deaf and the other ones going deaf you could have the same problem as i have with the older pugs hehe but they love a good scratch if they get it right

l_l_a

oh boy, youtube has lots of videos of clicker training being done on other species of animals! It is so fascinating!

Here's a sheep doing an agility course through clicker training!
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NKK53dInzw[/media]

And here's a mule being rehabilitated (it was formerly abused, poor thing, and was terrified) using clicker training
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCtrtbdXkVw[/media]

And then Yoyopoodle has videos of clicker training her cat to retrieve!!
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkvPhQEmuE8[/media]

and then wasn't there a thread on the other forum about dolphins?

chevycgc

It's never too late. I just started a few months ago with a 7 year old a 5 year old and a 2 year old! And yes there are benefits. I don't know why the clicker works better for me than a "yes" marker but the dogs react differently to it... in a favorable manner I mean. Give it a try!

Sally

harry8;7404 said:

Thnx

harry8

Thanks everyone. I'm going to give it a go - Harry is keen on learning so hopefully he'll take it like a duck to water! Great YouTube vids!

achieve1dream

Experienced Member
Clicker Training Horses

ZCoonHound definitely let us know how it goes with the mule! I have had horses all my life, but never given clicker training a try, also because I couldn't decide what to teach them, how to teach them or what to use as treats lol. But when I do get a new horse (been without one for a year now :( first time in my life being horseless) I am definitely planning to use clicker training with him. Keep us updated!