Chuck It ball Thower

crazyknitter

Anybody use the Chuck It dog thrower?LOVE this because my dog Ali drools so bad that the tennis ball gets so full of spit,icky!!!!!!!!!!!!:dogwacko:
Don't have to pick up the ball with my hands to throw it. Just thought I'd share:dogbiggrin:
Guess I can't put up a links or pictures of it because I'm so new to the site:msngiggle: Just google it to see one.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
I've seen this toy around...my own dog doesn't enjoy fetch quite enough to get one, but i wonder if it is good toy or not. I wonder if the slobber all flies off the ball as you whisk that thing by your head? or not?

Crazyknitter, i've also seen many many versions of balls that have a rope attached, or a handle of some type, to throw....maybe to keep one end of it slobber free..?

crazyknitter

The slobber does not fly all over:doglaugh: I can also throw the ball farther with the Chuck it. The biggest problem I was worried about was using it in the winter.I was afraid it would freeze and break from all the slobber.:msngiggle:I used to use a leather glove to throw the ball and in the winter the glove would freeze stiff from the slobber. If the Chuck It gets a little frozen slobber on it I just hit it on my boot and it all falls off. It also saves on my arm as I throw for both Ali and Cam at the same time.I just can't say anything bad about the Chuck It.
I bought one of those balls with the handle on it and Ali used the handle or the ball to pick it up :msngiggle: So now both ends had slobber on it.

brenda taulbee

Me and Kenzii both love our chuck-it! The only problem I've come across is that she loves it too much, and starts whining and crying as soon as she sees it in my hands, begging me to throw her ball for her. That's ok when we're one-on-one, but when she's hiking with her dog pals we have to leave the chuck-it at home

It definitely helps with the distance throwing! I have a really terrible throwing arm, but with the chuck-it I can launch a ball across a football field.

storm22

Experienced Member
chuck it throwers are awesome, i also have gotten one of the chuck it balls (that bounce in different directions) and it fits into the thrower which is great cause within 5mins a tennis ball is barely recognisable but the bounce one is made of rubber and koda even loves it, she even fought storm over it (not her way at all)

MarciM

We love the chuck it, as crazyknitter mentioned you can throw it much further! we haven't had any slobber issues, just glad i don't have to pick it up with my hand. We solved the start/stop issue by tucking the chuck it under my arm, so Ellie knows to wait patiently until I am actually holding it my hand in a ready to throw position. I also don't chuck it until she is calm, in a down stay and looking right at me. Then when we're done playing, I tuck it back under my arm, put up my hands and say "all done" and we start walking away from the area where the ball game was happening. I make sure she knows there is a defined start and stop to play time. Otherwise she would be in our face about the ball all day and night.

Jukes

The chuck it is an absolute god send with two dogs - like others have mentioned you can throw the ball farther meaning one of my dogs runs one way for one ball as I launch the other in the opposite direction:p.

It also gives your arm a break since the ball goes farther it takes slightly longer to fetch it - giving me a much deserved break:)

Anneke

Honored Member
Yep, we have got them too. I have the normal long one, but I also have a short one, which is a little easier to carry with me.
And my dogs also go crazy when they see us taking them along... Jumping and whining:D Love that thing!
And like you said... you keep your hands clean!! Cooper chews on the ball and gets it all slobbery and wet. Jinx takes the ball with her when she takes her muddbaths:rolleyes:

running_dog

Honored Member
If your dog has a dodgy retrieve to hand then the chuckit does not help - you're always rewarding the dog spitting the ball out. Zac needs very little encouragement to try spitting the ball at me from 5 paces away and once he's started he won't give up. BUT I'm guessing that dogs can learn that a chuckit retrieve is different to a normal and a formal retrieve.

Other downsides of the chuckit are: it is a nuisance to carry, the ball ends up getting lost in rough ground (tennis ball loss per walk rises from 0.05 to 0.5), and last but not least being rather clumsy I accidentally clout people and dogs with it while throwing :oops:.

A great invention but not for me :).

dogcrazy

Experienced Member
Same thing happens to my dog. She runs after the ball, but when she picks it up she drops and looses the ball.
A great invention but not for me (runningdog said the same thing)

storm22

Experienced Member
i find storm when he gets tired he'll drop the ball places but thats when i take kodas ball off her and get her to sniff out storms ball which she does really well, but thats her nose for you, i also find holding the long ball thrower annoying and koda quite often taps or grabs at it to walk it down the road, but ive never tried the short one im guessing its easier to carry, but it is handy to carry your full poop bags tied to the end after the game till you get to a bin (so handy when you have two muppet dogs on leads going every which way but the direction your wanting to go)

i also find my clumsyness gets the better of me also koda jumps for the ball when its about to be thrown she quite often gets hit with it but she doesnt really feel it cause her eagerness to get the ball flows all the blood from her brain to think about anything else

but i do find after about 10minutes of running after the ball my dogs are in a much calmer mind to walk on thier leads and we can go for a nice walk instead of being pulled round cause they have too much energy at the start of there walk

LeviTheOutlaw

Chuck it's (or the ball flinger as its referred to in my house) are awesome!!! Levi discovered the ball about 2 months ago and has been obsessed with it ever since. My shoulder was getting very sore from all the throwing. After I got the ball flinger it stopped hurting. Plus I don't have to touch the nasty ball after he has slobbered on it and then rolled it in the dirt. Best thing I've bought for him other then the furminator.

Dogster

Honored Member
OMG, I LOVE those balls!!!!! Shivon has 3. The medium whistler, max glow and the blue rebounce.:) Shivon loves them too (of course) And I also use a chuck it.(y)