Chase's Walk And Update

southerngirl

Honored Member
Took Chase on a walk yesterday. He doesn't get a lot because I'm trying to walk Missy and Piper separate which is hard enough.

IMAG0388.jpg IMAG0389.jpg IMAG0390.jpg IMAG0394.jpg IMAG0395.jpg IMAG0398.jpg Missy wasn't too thrilled. IMAG0393.jpg IMAG0395.jpg

Here's a video of him walking. Nothing interesting, but I've never made a video of him so yeah. He enjoyed the walk. When we got down to the cul-de-sac I let go of his leash while I picked black berries and he stayed with me. Only problem is every little hole in the weeds and bushes he would go in and get stuck cause he can't back out with his legs being bad. So I had to grab his collar and pull him out.:rolleyes: Despite getting stuck he kept doing it. Oh and in the video I kept he's walking beside a hill you can't tell it is in the video, so I kept trying to get him away from it. Right after I stopped recording he tried going down and fell onto his butt and I had to pull him back up. I did take him to far, but I was thinking it would be fine cause he could rest while I was picking berries, but he didn't. I had to walk super super slow getting back. I was maybe a 15 - 20 min. walk. I ended up carrying him the last five minuet(he's 60 pounds)
We're still putting him to sleep. I've been looking for a vet to do it that we can afford. Didn't realizehow much it cost. One place said $250 the lowest was $85 but another $20 for mild anesthesia. They said anesthesia would make him more comfortable and they highly recommend it.

Attachments

Ripleygirl

Experienced Member
Nice to see he is still interested in sniffing and wants to go for a walk, lovely you are still taking time to walk him too. He looks a bit wobbly but is still interested in what he is doing. Love to you and you family at this hard time.

MaryK

Honored Member
Unfortunately got the error message with the vid, happening all too often here.

So glad you're still taking him for his walks, it's a difficult, very difficult time and I understand about the expense.

For Zeus it cost over $550.00 for the euth and also private cremation. Not cheap that's for sure.

My love and big hugs goes out to you and your family in this very difficult time. I'll try to play the vid again later, hopefully with better results. Thank you for updating have been thinking about Chase a lot.

southerngirl

Honored Member
Nice to see he is still interested in sniffing and wants to go for a walk, lovely you are still taking time to walk him too. He looks a bit wobbly but is still interested in what he is doing. Love to you and you family at this hard time.
Yes, he has always loved going on walks. Right after I turned the camera off poor Chase feel onto his butt and I had to pull him back up. Can't really tell in the video, but the majority of the time he walks side ways, his back end won't stay behind him.
Thank you for the kind words.

southerngirl

Honored Member
Unfortunately got the error message with the vid, happening all too often here.

So glad you're still taking him for his walks, it's a difficult, very difficult time and I understand about the expense.

For Zeus it cost over $550.00 for the euth and also private cremation. Not cheap that's for sure.

My love and big hugs goes out to you and your family in this very difficult time. I'll try to play the vid again later, hopefully with better results. Thank you for updating have been thinking about Chase a lot.
Oh wow that is a lot. Sorry to ask, but did Zeus get anesthesia for the euth?
Thank you hugs are welcomed.

southerngirl

Honored Member
Chase is certainly still enjoying his walks!

It is very hard when you have made the final decision and then have to wait, it's like an open wound that can't heal. Thinking of you.
Yup he has always loved walks, but they are a lot different know. LOL he used to be the one walking me.

Yeah it is hard. Me and my family have been talking about Chase and the good old days with him. And the longer we wait the more we start to second guess our decision. Deciding to put him down is hard. with my cat she had kidney failure and when her back legs gave up on her one day the decision was easy, but with Chase his mind and body are deteriorating it was slow but this year it's gotten quicker.

MaryK

Honored Member
Oh wow that is a lot. Sorry to ask, but did Zeus get anesthesia for the euth?
Thank you hugs are welcomed.
The private cremation costs more than the vets, not sure what the split is, but it's always been the higher amount, I think around $300.00. I didn't look at the bill too upset and normally they don't give it to you straight away, rather send it on later, as it's such an upsetting time. This time they did give it to my partner.

Sorry not sure whether he had an anesthesia or quite what. What I do know is it was very quick and completely painless. Kyle warned me because of his seizures he may jerk his head around. Fortunately he didn't, because even warned, I didn't really want that to happen. He was also given a shot of Valium first, in the hopes we could spend a few minutes quiet time, sadly that didn't happen.

No need to apologize for asking either, I totally understand and can handle such questions. Just sorry I cannot answer it.

Sending more hugs your way.:love:

MaryK

Honored Member
Yup he has always loved walks, but they are a lot different know. LOL he used to be the one walking me.

Yeah it is hard. Me and my family have been talking about Chase and the good old days with him. And the longer we wait the more we start to second guess our decision. Deciding to put him down is hard. with my cat she had kidney failure and when her back legs gave up on her one day the decision was easy, but with Chase his mind and body are deteriorating it was slow but this year it's gotten quicker.
It sure is hard. Danielle, ASK Chase to let you know when HE feels it's his time to cross. He WILL let you know, it's never failed with me with any of my animals. They will let you know beyond any shadow of doubt when they've 'had enough' and frankly, by the sound of it with Chase, I don't think he's quite ready to cross just yet.

Got up the video this time and to be honest Chase is walking better than Zeus did during the last few weeks of his life here on earth. Zeus too went 'side ways' and as he's always been a super dog at heel work (his speciality) I carried his lead (just in case the dog bod was around) but didn't put it on, just 'guided' him on the 'straight and narrow'. And steadied him when he looked like going over, or if on the odd occasion he did, picked him up again.

If Chase is still loving his walks and can manage them as well as he is in the video, I wouldn't be making 'that' decision quite yet. It may not be long, but he's not quite ready to cross. As I said ask Chase and also give him permission to cross if that's what he wants. Dogs (and other much loved animals) will keep going because WE don't want to have to make that decision. By giving permission, darned tough I know, it allows them to freely make up THEIR minds. And they DO let us know.

They're timing may not always be the best though. Zeus let me know at 11.p.m. when his vets were closed. He'd been walking o.k. that day on his afternoon walk, though I did notice a change in his back legs they were 'stiff' looking (sorry can't quite describe but you know how it is you just 'know' something's different) but his back legs just 'went' completely, he couldn't stand not even with assistance and then, sadly, he started to seizure because I couldn't get him to his vets at that hour of the night. Could have gone ER but well, I wanted him to be with vets who loved him, not a hard, cold clinical place where he wasn't loved and known.

Huge hugs!!!!!!!!!! It's tough I know but allow Chase to decide he'll sure let you know. And afterwards he'll let you know he's safe and well and you did the right thing.