Chase An Angel Now

southerngirl

Honored Member
Today at 4pm. Me and my family took Chase to the Vet and they put him to rest. Chase had gotten a lot worse in the past month, loosing even more weight and could barley walk. My siblings and I have felt like it was long over due, but we had to wait till my mom was ready. It was the hardest thing I've done to see him fade away. My poor mom couldn't stay in the room. We had, had him since he was 8 weeks old. And after much debate we figured out what year we got Chase March 2002. He was 17 years old.
I will remember him how he was in his younger days so loyal and patient. Sweet boy went through me and my three brothers growing up and my older brother and sister going from teens to adults. He never liked toys, but he loved sticks. He is now with his son Domino and his best friend Niko

March 2002-October 25, 2014

kassidybc

Experienced Member
I'm so sorry Danielle. I can't even imagine having a dog for that long and having to put him down. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

running_dog

Honored Member
Danielle, Sorry to hear about Chase. I know this is something you've been facing for a long time, hopefully it will be easier now you know that you've finally been able to do what has to be done. I can understand your Mum finding it hard to let go. We had an 18 year old border collie, when he died it seemed the last of our childhood went with him. Thinking of you.

southerngirl

Honored Member
Today at 4pm. Me and my family took Chase to the Vet and they put him to rest. Chase had gotten a lot worse in the past month, loosing even more weight and could barley walk. My siblings and I have felt like it was long over due, but we had to wait till my mom was ready. It was the hardest thing I've done to see him fade away. My poor mom couldn't stay in the room. We had, had him since he was 8 weeks old. And after much debate we figured out what year we got Chase March 2002. He was 17 years old.
I will remember him how he was in his younger days so loyal and patient. Sweet boy went through me and my three brothers growing up and my older brother and sister going from teens to adults. He never liked toys, but he loved sticks. He is now with his son Domino and his best friend Niko

March 2002-October 25, 2014
Gah totally put the year wrong don't know where my head was. 1997 not 2002.

southerngirl

Honored Member
I'm so sorry Danielle. I can't even imagine having a dog for that long and having to put him down. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.
Thanks Kassidy. It's really odd not having him around. Since I was so young when we got him I don't have any memories before Chase.

southerngirl

Honored Member
Danielle, Sorry to hear about Chase. I know this is something you've been facing for a long time, hopefully it will be easier now you know that you've finally been able to do what has to be done. I can understand your Mum finding it hard to let go. We had an 18 year old border collie, when he died it seemed the last of our childhood went with him. Thinking of you.
Thanks, r_dog. It did help that I was, along with the rest of my family had accepted that it was his time to pass on.
Yes, I know what you mean about your childhood going with him. A lot of my childhood memories involve Chase. He was there for me from toddler, pre-teen, teenager and than to an adult. He'll always have a special place in my heart.

southerngirl

Honored Member
We are working on a memorial for Chase. We are going to buy a shadow box to put his collar, a picture of him and maybe a little poem to hang up in the house. Than we are going to Hobby Lobby to buy a kit to make a marker for his grave. We buried him in a nice shaded area of our yard, a beautiful area surrounded by trees.

running_dog

Honored Member
We are working on a memorial for Chase.
That sounds like a really good idea.

I don't know if you can get photobooks where you are. But in England you can go online and upload your photos and make them into a proper book with captions and then get it printed out for you. It might be a nice thing to do if you have photos of Chase. This is a link to an English site that does them but you would probably be able to find somewhere where you are.

southerngirl

Honored Member

I don't know if you can get photobooks where you are. But in England you can go online and upload your photos and make them into a proper book with captions and then get it printed out for you. It might be a nice thing to do if you have photos of Chase. This is a link to an English site that does them but you would probably be able to find somewhere where you are.
Thanks r_dog, that's a great idea. I'll check it out.

kassidybc

Experienced Member

We have those here, my mom makes them a lot. I don't know what the website is though, I can ask.

MaryK

Honored Member
Danielle, I am so sad and sorry for you and your family. It's the hardest thing to have to do, I know I've been there myself. I can so feel for your Mom, the first dog I had to have assisted across the Bridge I too couldn't stay in the room but since then I've managed to get my courage together and it does take courage, a lot of courage. He would have known and understood, dogs do and are very knowing and forgiving, I hope your Mom isn't beating up on herself because she did all she could and no one can do more.

Remember Chase, as you are, when he was young and fit, being there for you all the time, through all those years of you and your siblings growing up. They are wonderful memories to keep close forever. Chase was one wonderful dog and he must have been a very patient dog too with all of you.

Time is a great healer, just allow yourself to grieve that's normal, he was family and of course you're going to miss him and find it hard to be without him. But as time passes the wounds will heal even though it doesn't feel like it right now.

You've done the right thing, as my lovely vet Kyle always says, we treat our dogs better than humans in that respect as we don't allow them to suffer but help them to a new life across the Bridge.

Yes, he'll be playing with sticks and having fun with Domino and his best friend Nicko. He'll always be watching over you and your family, your very own special fur angel.

Take time Danielle to heal. And remember, the bonds of true love are never broken. Chase has just changed his address, he's still 'there' for you and who knows one day when you least expect it he'll let you know he's safe, well and happy. That DOES happen, I've had it happen to me too many times now to not believe that our darlings do 'come back' to let us know they're safe.