Chance's 3rd Chance

Dlilly

Honored Member
This is my foster dog Chance. I thought that before I would teach him some hard lessons, (leave it and to not table surf) that I'd let him have some success learning. ;) He is a Beagle x Treeing Walker Coonhound mix.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
WHAT AN ADORABLE DOG!! oh my, that dog just couldn't be any cuter if you wanted him to be!! just adorable...

GOOD ON YOU, DILLY, for helping out a homeless dog! How much more 'marketable' Chance will be with your training him! Looks like you are doing a great job training him, too! YAY!!

Dlilly

Honored Member
WHAT AN ADORABLE DOG!! oh my, that dog just couldn't be any cuter if you wanted him to be!! just adorable...

GOOD ON YOU, DILLY, for helping out a homeless dog! How much more 'marketable' Chance will be with your training him! Looks like you are doing a great job training him, too! YAY!!
He is a super dog, he just has 2 problems…. He eats poop and counter surfs. :sick: He is just obsessed with food! Once I teach him not to do those 2 things, I think he will have a better chance of getting adopted. Right now I'm not really advertising him. I want him to be perfect so he won't get returned again!!!

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
ah, my dog ate poop too. Wasn't that hard to get him to stop.
I taught him "leave it"

Once he had "leave it" solidly nailed, i took him over to the poop, and gave cue and hand signal, "leave it"
I did that many times, for days and days and weeks, til he generalized, ALL poop was "leave it".
He did get the idea, and no longer ever eats poop.

Prior to his learning "leave it", i had to keep our yard spotless.

Anneke

Honored Member
I did do it the same way as the beginning of the last clip. Treat in hand, let the dag try to get it and reward for backing away. But my next step was to put a treat on the floor and cover it with my hand. Go through the same process as if it was in my hand. Then leave the treat in plain sight, but with my hand close, so I can cover it, if the dog goes for it. Important is then NOT to let them eat the treat u use as the lure, but to give a treat that comes from you.
If you do let the dog eat the lure treat, you have a chance the dog will leave, for instance your sandwich, but then think, hey, first I had to look away, and then I can eat it...
I can now put treats on my dogs paws without them going for it.
When the dog gets that the treat on the floor is off limits, you have to get creative with where you put your food. On a chair, on the table, on the kitchercounter... Go over all the places where you might have food.

Dlilly

Honored Member
Kikopup ROCKS! I am going to use both of her methods with Chance. I know this is going to be a challenge for him! (y)

I'm going to wait at least another week before attempting this though. He needs to have some success and fun first!

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Oh, i think training IS fun.:D :D If it is NOT fun,
you are doing it wrong.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I think you can start right off. Getting NewDog to pay att'n to you, is never a bad thing.
Helping NewDog learn a new way to be around poop or items on counter, is not a bad thing. should be fun for him to figure out what you want.

I LOVE KIKOPUP, TOO, SHE ROCKS!! she focuses primarily on behavioral issues, all her videos are so great, so easy for me to understand, and they are so short to watch, too.

I did not use the method Kikopup uses when i taught Buddy "leave it",
but, back then, i had not heard of Kikopup back when i taught "Leave it"

I started with low value treats, like bread, on floor , not too close to the dog,
and put my hand in chop sign, between him and the bread,
and said "leave it"
and rewarded my dog for leaving the bread alone.
I sat right next to my dog for first lessons, and had bread far away at first.

I never ever ever used the bait as his reward.
I had other treats to reward him with, never using the bait.

Overtime, i used increasingly tempting treats, and had the treats closer and closer to the dog,
made chop hand signal, and said "leave it".

Overtime, i faded out my presence beside the dog, slowly,
so i can be across the room,
and have yummy treat right by my dog,
and he wont' touch it.

Now I can leave a hot steamy steak, right in front of Buddy,
tell him "leave it"
and go away,
and he will not have touched that steak.

It wasn't that hard to teach, starting with low value treats far away from dog, and slowly advancing along.

after Buddy learned "leave it"
THEN
i took him by poop, all the time, and gave "leave it" cue, to many different poops, for many days and weeks,
and Buddy got the idea. He did. I don't remember how long it took til he walked away from a poop all by himself, without even a cue from me.

I say, teaching cues is fun, and you could start in right away teaching anything you want, so long as you are postive only, and keep beginner lessons short, like 5 or 10 minutes for beginner dogs.

Kikopup begins her lessons with her new dogs on day one. I've seen the videos of her doing this, is how i know. She posts "Here is my new dog on day one....", and begins to show what lessons she did, on day one.

I'd keep all beginner lessons SUPER SHORT,
and i follow all lessons with playtime<---to help Buddy release excitement and to help Buddy think lessons are fun, and so Buddy knows when lessons are over i say "all done" and begin to play with him,
and my dog LOVES his lessons, just loves 'em.

Dlilly

Honored Member
Thanks for the advice! I think I'll start teaching him leave it then. ;)

What I really need some help with is how he interacts with new people. I haven't found a video yet that could give me some ideas on how to change his behavior…. He just gets so exited when he sees someone. He won't listen to me, he is focused on the new person. He will then jump and give kisses *barfs* to the person….

Oh, and, if we are on a walk and a person passes by, he will try to go to the person. I had to carry him back home because he would't walk on. :cautious:

I've tried the "ignore the jumping" method, and it just isn't happening. I think I might just teach him to jump on me, then to jump off.

Right now I'm teaching him "watch me", so I can get his attention. I don't know how that will work out though….

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Yeah, jumping up is a toughie, my dog did exact same thing! (once he ever decided humans were not so scarey and he gave up growling and biting them alll:rolleyes: )

Here are some good ideas on that:

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
also, Dilly, i so so admire, your efforts to help this dog become his possible self,
to help increase his chances to find a permanent home.
this is a real admirable thing you are doing,
and it warms my heart to think of you investing into helping this dog find a better way to be.

good on you, Dilly, good on you.

Dlilly

Honored Member
Thank you for all of the help!!

I wanted to help out at the animal shelter, but you must be 18 to volunteer there, so I thought I could try out fostering. At the time, I was wanting to adopt a Beagle, so I thought by fostering, I can get some experience training them. That's how the madness began!

I'm going to go "play" with him right now! I'd record my training session, but my younger brothers refuse to hold the camera for me. :mad:

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
<---rofl!!

come on, Dilly, get those brothers in line!! ha ha, too funny!

GREAT AND AWESOME idea, there, Dilly, to foster a breed you are interested in! marvelous. More ppl should do that.

Dlilly

Honored Member
I worked on Leave It again today. I'm on the step where I try to get eye contact. We are getting there. He was soo cute trying to figure out to leave the food alone! We will work on it again tomorrow. :)

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Chance is gorgeous! What a handsome and happy dog. :)
HA 1:07 Shiloh--look at me, I'm staying too!!
Big pat on the back for helping Chance become more adoptable. (y) You should be proud of yourself.
Ditto everything that's been said. Do check out the thread Tigerlily linked, I posted about an exercise that works really well for getting dogs to generalize that they can't jump on anyone. Should help your pretty foster pup. :) Keep up the good work!

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Great you are starting on "Leave it"
Maybe i taught it wrong, but to ME, and to MY dog, "leave it" does NOT require eye contact. "Leave it" simply means my dog can not sniff nor eat whatever i am pointing at.

that's it. He can look at me....he can look out the window, he can lick his own foot, he could even get up and walk around, he bite some toys, i don't care, so long as he does not eat nor sniff at whatever item he has been told to leave alone.

"Look at me" is my cue for eye contact. "Leave it" does not require eye contact, imo.

I just gave cue "Leave it" and then, rewarded my dog not doing anything, really, :ROFLMAO: as he just sat there baffled on that first lesson........... then it kind of clicked, "ohhhhh, mom is rewarding me for NOT eating that piece of bread over there....ohhhh, so THAT's what this is about, ah ha!"

I didn't care if he looked at my eyes, not at all.............. to ME, getting my dog to look at my eyes is whoooole other cue than "leave it"