Cgc?

blacknym

Experienced Member
Who here has earned there CGC and how did you go about it?

I'd like to get working on Deja earning her's. :D

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated. :D

MissyBC

Experienced Member
Missy has earned hers. It wasn't too complicated. Can't remember the whole test, I have the results somewhere, but I'd have to find them.

One thing though: you're not allowed the use of treats during the test.

This video off of youtube might be of some help to you in getting Deja prepared:

Good luck!

Honored Member
Holly might be going for hers this Sunday ;) .

Me and Holly tend to do things a bit unconventionally so we are planning on just rocking up to the test and doing it, hopefully it works out.
At the club that I do agility they have CGC classes, that's what people usually do first (we haven't done them though).

I think Holly is capable of doing it without any specific training just because of her general temperament and all the other training that she has done (obedience, rally-o, agility, tricks).

Holly already has her Rally-o Novice title and is fine being handled by other people and being left alone so I figure that covers most of it.

You could call around your local clubs and see which ones offer classes and how much they charge etc, they might have practice run throughs that you can join in, or watch, without doing the actual classes.

blacknym

Experienced Member
Thanks for the advice!

By that video... I know what Deja's weakness would be. She has a hard time being handled. Because she is small she also puts her front legs on your knee if she lets you pet her. Lol with me it's fine but a stranger she rarely lets them pet her. She would have a hard time with being left with a stranger as well. :)

I'm gonna see if I can fine those CGC classes. :)

kassidybc

Experienced Member
Holly might be going for hers this Sunday ;) .

Me and Holly tend to do things a bit unconventionally so we are planning on just rocking up to the test and doing it, hopefully it works out.
At the club that I do agility they have CGC classes, that's what people usually do first (we haven't done them though).

I think Holly is capable of doing it without any specific training just because of her general temperament and all the other training that she has done (obedience, rally-o, agility, tricks).

Holly already has her Rally-o Novice title and is fine being handled by other people and being left alone so I figure that covers most of it.

You could call around your local clubs and see which ones offer classes and how much they charge etc, they might have practice run throughs that you can join in, or watch, without doing the actual classes.
I'm working on training Chloe for her CGC, her big problem being handled by a stranger, so we have to work on that. I'm not a pro in the least, but I just wanted to remind you bring her brush! You may already know that, but I didn't want you to show up without a brush and not be able to do it or something. :)

jackienmutts

Honored Member
Alfie got his years ago - and until now, Makena could never have passed hers due to her dog-dog reactivity. I finally told the owner of our training facility about week ago that we finally are ready!! (y) It's been a long road to get here. If Deja's weakness is being handled, then really work on that. Make sure she can be left with a "trusted stranger", as they take her to a secluded room (or someplace out of sight from you) and she needs to be ok with that, as well as groomed (brushed), and petted by a stranger. The rest is done with you - walking, staying/coming on command, etc. Just work hard on getting her as confident and relaxed as possible when in the presence of other people.

Honored Member
I'm working on training Chloe for her CGC, her big problem being handled by a stranger, so we have to work on that. I'm not a pro in the least, but I just wanted to remind you bring her brush! You may already know that, but I didn't want you to show up without a brush and not be able to do it or something. :)
We didn't end up going in the end. My brother was flying home the same day, unfortunetely I ran out of time to get to the CGC trial.
I will go to the next one though (they don't hold them here very often).

kassidybc

Experienced Member
We didn't end up going in the end. My brother was flying home the same day, unfortunetely I ran out of time to get to the CGC trial.
I will go to the next one though (they don't hold them here very often).
Are there actual trials? It sounded like you could also just go to someone nearby that was certified to test it and they could test it for you. On the AKC website I looked for people near me that could test us, and there was like 5 people within a 10 minute radius of me, so you might be able to find someone that way and do it earlier.

Honored Member
Are there actual trials? It sounded like you could also just go to someone nearby that was certified to test it and they could test it for you. On the AKC website I looked for people near me that could test us, and there was like 5 people within a 10 minute radius of me, so you might be able to find someone that way and do it earlier.
I'm not American. CGC is not such a big thing here and I've heard that there is a lack of CGC judges in my area. I'm not sure if the judge that they had at the trial was from here or had to travel.

I think it's actually pretty standard to have a "CGC trial" here, even in areas with more people/judges. Every month I get a kennel club magazine sent to me and it always has an article about a recent CGC trial in it, where multiple dogs get tested at once. Never heard of a judge testing just one dog.

I actually just got an email saying that there might be another test in February that we could go to, so it's a long wait between opportunities.

Honored Member
So I just checked to see how many judges there are in NZ.

There are a total of 3 judges in the South Island and 36 in the North Island. Don't know how many are actively judging, that's just the list from the NZKC website.

I live in the South Island O_o

kcmetric

Corrective collars or other devices are not allowed, nor are treats. It's not a very complicated test. Perhaps the hardest part for dogs is passively watching some silly person run around really fast in circles (or dropping a very loud item randomly) and also the greeting another dog part.

If you take a prep class you will have a different evaluator than your instructor (or you should according to AKC's rules).
A lot of people are starting 'C. L. A. S. S.' testing now too (Canine Life and Social Skills). They have three levels, beginner, intermediate, and advanced.

Baby has his CGC, if your dog is registered you can now use CGC as part of their title.

AKC has the test on their page. Just google search it.

Dlilly

Honored Member
Just thought I'd add that an alternative to the CGC is the Dog Scout test. They are very similar except the Dog Scout test takes into account that not all dogs are crazy in love with people or other dogs. I prefer the Dog Scout test for that reason.

kcmetric

CGC doesn't require dogs to be crazy in love with people. It just requires that dogs can accept some minor handler from others, ie: petting.

In no way is your dog expected to act like a golden retriever puppy with people.