Cesar Millan training techniques

traxxie

Well, it is really hard to ignore CM. It doesn't work to say, 'yuck. hate that stuff' if you work with dogs. He is so popular with an audience of people that don't have a background in animal behavior that now you can find training classes that teach 'how to deal with animal owners who've seen his show'.

I walk dogs that are supposed to be walked using the CM method. I've met, walked and cared for a dog that had an extremely bad experience at his clinic.

I'm fascinated that so many people love him and don't understand that his specialty is dogs with severe behavioral issues. You don't call the Mayo clinic when you sneeze, and you don't go to the extreme training methods/trainers to handle most dogs because it is not necessary.

Also, the reason dogs look worn out on the show is that they are. They are exercised for a couple of hours before CM works with them. That is his philosophy and his practice, even though you don't see that part on the show.

My own experience is that people who want to use his methods focus on the discipline and don't pay enough attention to the exercise or affection.