Cesar Millan: Love Him, Hate Him, And Why?

MaryK

Honored Member
Yes sounds like you do need more training:LOL: From bitter experience, and I still back-slide, only way to get a message across, when angry, is in quiet well modulated tones (with a bite). Postulate answer first, don't open mouth until you're sure you can speak without yelling, take several deep breaths and failing all else walk away with mouth firmly shut:D Just the act of walking away does at times get your message across:LOL: I know, have a partner who was a DW fan and a person who 'knows it all', he's converting fast(y) !

Good for you, no longer a fan of the DW(y):)

MaryK

Honored Member
All of this negative punishment, positive punishment stuff is confusing.:confused:
It can be I agree but if you think of how your dog FEELS or HOW HE/SHE WOULD LIKE WHAT YOU'RE DOING you'll sort it out quite quickly. Think like a dog:)

Does your dog understand WHY?

And best of all stay with CLICK/TREAT POSITIVE REINFORCEMENT - you CANNOT GO WRONG(y):) No other correction is needed then, so you'll be sorted too:D

southerngirl

Honored Member
It can be I agree but if you think of how your dog FEELS or HOW HE/SHE WOULD LIKE WHAT YOU'RE DOING you'll sort it out quite quickly. Think like a dog:)

Does your dog understand WHY?

And best of all stay with CLICK/TREAT POSITIVE REINFORCEMENT - you CANNOT GO WRONG(y):) No other correction is needed then, so you'll be sorted too:D
Thanks, that helps me understand it better.:) So when me and my friend leave the room because her dog is jumping and biting us it's negative reinforcement, because the dog is like "why are you leaving" but after a few times they associate you leaving with their jumping and biting so they stop. Is that right?

MaryK

Honored Member
Thanks, that helps me understand it better.:) So when me and my friend leave the room because her dog is jumping and biting us it's negative reinforcement, because the dog is like "why are you leaving" but after a few times they associate you leaving with their jumping and biting so they stop. Is that right?
Glad to help:)

What I would do with your friend's dog is to 'distract' with a toy/treat (I wouldn't use noise distraction though) and CLICK/TREAT when the dog takes the treat/toy. Also ask the dog to sit or lie down if possible. This is a bit harder because with a dog leaping and biting it's painful on you and your friend.:eek: And the dog may have 'zoned out' on you.

If necessary, dog leaping and biting a bit too much for close contact, throw the treat/toy and click when retrieved and again throw the treat. That way the dog will get the message and you'll be 'safe' from unwanted attention. Then S - L - O - W - L - Y get closer.

If your friend's dog brings the toy/treat back to you, then ask for sit before click/treat.

Your friend's dog sounds like it's either (a) a youngster (b) loves to play and wants you both involved in the 'game' or (c) both of the above:)

Don't encourage the dog to 'play' with you either, stay very calm and quiet. Too much excitement and noise will make a lot of dogs worse, it get's them all excited too and they show it by leaping and biting, it's THEIR way of having FUN - but not yours:eek:

You're right about how the dog thinks when you leave the room, but the dog will still remain 'stressed' even if the dog does stop eventually. He/she will be more into 'shut down' mode than a good behavioral response. Still wondering 'why' but giving up jumping and biting and this is not what you're after achieving long term is it? You want your friend's dog to sit or lay down with you both HAPPY AND CONTENTED!

Example:

Visited an elderly lady yesterday. She has her granddaughter staying with her and the granddaughter's dog is pretty much untrained:( Small dog but brother CAN IT NIP!!!!!!!!! Caught me a beauty on the leg, I didn't move fast enough to avoid the snapping jaws:eek:

This dog does this EVERY TIME you visit!!!!!!!!!! And what they do is SHUT THE DOG OUTSIDE!!!!!!!!! Hasn't stopped the unwanted (and painful) behavior AT ALL!

You still have to do some 'fancy foot work' to avoid a decent bite/nip and believe me this dog's nip is darned painful!:eek: It broke the skin on my leg and I have a seriously decent bruise this morning!

So as you can see, shutting the dog out, or removing yourselves, isn't the answer at all.

I have offered to help the lady with this problem, not sure she quite 'got it' so will wait until I see the granddaughter, because it only needs that dog to bite someone else, who's not so tolerant, and well....... results will not be very good:( This dog is an older dog, so it's not playing, it's stressed about visitors and 'resource guarding' the home. But the same principal applies, just removing the dog hasn't worked!

southerngirl

Honored Member
Thank you.:D My friends dog Lily is either one or almost one too tired right now to remember how old she is and she is a Boxer(they're very very energetic dogs and man can Lily Box. I'll either tell my friend or have her read this.

MaryK

Honored Member
Thank you.:D My friends dog Lily is either one or almost one too tired right now to remember how old she is and she is a Boxer(they're very very energetic dogs and man can Lily Box. I'll either tell my friend or have her read this.
LOL Boxers are also fun dogs, who's soul idea of a 'life purpose' is to party,party,party:ROFLMAO: Adore them:love:

Mutt

Experienced Member
quoting myself from the thread Adrianna&Calvin had already linked to.
positive reinforcement:
something is offered which works stimulating (motivator) and which will stimulate the dog to offer the behavior more often.
examples: treats, playing, greeting visitors

negative reinforcement:
taking away something which is unpleasant for the dog
example: using physical manipulation to let a dog sit (putting pressure on his rear end) and taking away that pressure when the dog is in a sit position.

positive punishment:
adding something to the situation which the dog doesn't like, so that the dog will offer the behavior less often.
example: you giving a hard pull on the leash, shouting

negative punishment:
taking something away which the dog likes, so that the dog will offer the behavior less often.
example: turning away and ignoring the dog when the dog jumps on you (this way you are 'taking away' attention.
How you can keep them apart:
positive: adding something to the situation
negative: taking something away from the situation
reinforcement: when you want the dog to offer the behavior more often
punishment: when you want the dog to offer the behavior less often

maybe an idea to make a seperate threat with this info (in general dog training) and making it a sticky? (just a thought ;))

sara

Staff member
quoting myself from the thread Adrianna&Calvin had already linked to.

How you can keep them apart:
positive: adding something to the situation
negative: taking something away from the situation
reinforcement: when you want the dog to offer the behavior more often
punishment: when you want the dog to offer the behavior less often

maybe an idea to make a seperate threat with this info (in general dog training) and making it a sticky? (just a thought ;))
How about you make a thread and I'll sticky it? you are better at wording it than the rest of us LOL