Canine Seasonal Illness

running_dog

Honored Member
A dog belonging to one of my friends may have Canine Seasonal Illness (CSI). I'd never heard of CSI before and as it seems to be important to get your dog to the vets asap if it shows symptoms it seemed like one to be aware of - especially if like me you walk your dog in the woods a lot. I've tried to list the main points I found out about it.
  • It seems to have only been reported in the UK.
  • It is new - Sandringham Estate, Norfolk reported it to the Animal Health Trust in 2010
  • Cases occur from August to November.
  • Dogs with CSI exhibit symptoms 24-72 hours after being in woodland.
  • The most common symptoms are sudden onset lethargy, diarrhoea and vomiting.
  • Some cases are fatal though as awareness has increased fatalities have reduced.
  • The cause is unknown.
  • Many dogs walk in woodlands where CSI occurs without getting CSI.
For more information, you can visit this website of the Animal Health Trust.

running_dog

Honored Member
Has this been reported in the U.S or just the U.K?
Sorry, I should have put that in bold too, it seems to have only been reported in the UK.

So it is really for UK people to be aware of. I know most of us active members are not in the UK but there are a lot of guests on here some of whom will be from the UK and possibly wondering why their dog is suddenly lethargic.

southerngirl

Honored Member
Sorry, I should have put that in bold too, it seems to have only been reported in the UK.

So it is really for UK people to be aware of. I know most of us active members are not in the UK but there are a lot of guests on here some of whom will be from the UK and possibly wondering why their dog is suddenly lethargic.
No, your fine, I just wanted to double check.:) And I think it's great that you posted it, hopefully some people from the U.K will see it, so they'll be able to catch it if there dog shows signs.

running_dog

Honored Member
To put Canine Seasonal Illness in perspective, my friend's dog would have been better off to have that (with treatment most dogs recover in 7-10 days), instead she had a tumour and had to be put to sleep :(.