Can We Go On Walks Before 2nd Round Of Vaccination?

Is it ok to take my puppy out for walks, or even into the backyard, if she has no had her second round of vaccines?

I have read a lot of scary things about this. Some people say, unless you know no dog you don't know has been around in months and months, don't take a puppy not done their vaccines outside (no walks, no backyard, no nothing). We don't live in the country, so we can't say for sure what's been in our yard.

Our puppy has been using pads on the desk for potty training, so her paws have largely been on safe turf so far. But, she has a lot of energy and really no outlet for it since we are nervous about getting her outside for walks.

Just wanted to ask, what you guys do? Are we being paranoid? Or... is it better safe than sorry?

Isi Havanese

No you are not being paranoid. I was not real sure of this myself. As a nurse I know that whether or not a human is given a live or attenuated vaccine they take anywhere from several day to weeks to develop antibodies to these viruses. I don't think it would be any different for dogs. They must not be fully innoculated (protected)m until after the third series because they keep giving them a series of the same vaccines 3 times right..that is to build their immunity. So Now I am worried, I live in a subdivision with woods behind my home and no fence, my Havanese is just now 14 weeks old and I have already let her out back to fail at learning to potty. I posted on your other question too @ the potty training. Your baby is darling what did you name him? Is that why he is he only allowed on the deck? Do you have a yard? I thought you might live in an apartment .
Bottom line ask your VET what you should do. He or she will be familiar with what cases of what diseases are being seen in your area and be best able to guage the risk for your dog where you live. There is some sort of a Lepto vaccine that dogs can get optionally, however I read that this particular vaccine is known to kill a good number of Havanese pups, so I told him I did not want her to have it and put it in her chart. Then he told me we will discuss it again later because it has been going around where I live and when she gets @ 6months old perhaps we will need to weigh the risk vs benefits. I just pray for my new little Angel , Isabella and learn and do the best I can as youy are doing! God Bless.o You are going to the best new mommy!
By the way my name is Christie I also have a 4 year old German Shepherd and he is 110lbs and my 2 and half lb Isabel, they LOVE eachother! How about that! Everyone told I couldn't do it, what about my German Shepherd it wouldn't be fair for us to get one so small that he would have to locked away from and the puppy takes all of my time. They play constantly and he is so gentle with her you wouldn't believe it. so:p Trust your instincts. No matter what anyone says about anything, you will come to know your dog and advice is great but weigh it all out with what you feel is right. :notworthy: We will figure out all these lil Puppy questions together. Did you say this is your first dog? How thrilling!:D

Thanks Christie! You're so sweet. Andi is our first puppy so we are confused and frustrated on an hourly basis! She's adorable and we love her... but, it's hard... Of course we knew it would be, but she's certainly even more of a challenge than I was prepared for!

We do have a backyard, I just don't know if she should be in it because she is not immune yet. She went in our driveway a few times, but I'm unsure of that too.

I asked the receptionist at my vet about it. She didn't think that it was an issue at all to take Andi on walks, she just said be weary of other dogs that I don't know. However, she was just at the desk, she is not a vet. But again, I have read a lot of advice saying don't risk anything... so I wanted to get other people's opinions on the subject.

I'm Christina by the way :) Glad to hear your dogs are getting along!

abby_someone

You know it is funny, my first dog, I heard nothing about this. I took her everywhere, paraded her around and had NO problems! Of course, maybe it was OK because it was in Dec. Now I know better, and I am as concerned as you are. My vet said no outside ventures until the puppy is 12 weeks old.

I did find an article that stated that the immunization worked differently on each dog. It depends on how much colostrum they got as a puppy, what order they were born in, and so on. Vets recommend a standard schedule of vaccinations because no one knows what each puppy's situation is.

Did your vet recommend the full series when they turn 4 months? That is a looooong time to wait for socializing. IMO. I can only hope it is not that way. I will ask at my next apt. on the 24th.

It does seem like a long time to wait. She is just a terror when she is full of energy and I don't know what to do with her inside for a month! She needs to walk and run around.

I have an appointment her second round on July 4th, I guess I'll see what the vet says at that point :S

jackienmutts

Honored Member
I would say your backyard is fine - but I wouldn't allow her out on walks just in the neighborhood, on other peoples' grass, etc ... basically where other dogs have been. One thing you might want to look into is a puppy kindergarten class at a training facility. The one thing you don't want to do is isolate your puppy away for the first few months of it's life - it desperately needs socialization, play, and life experiences, as there is a definite window. Your puppy needs to be meeting and playing, etc - but in a safe environment. If you can get in a puppy class, they will most likely have a "safe" yard where only puppies can go -- I know our training facility has one such yard, where only very young puppies are allowed, no older dogs - so no danger of disease - but young puppies can begin their socialization process 'now' and not miss that window while waiting for all their shots. Check with your vet to be sure - and if possible, check with a training facility for puppy classes during this "waiting period". It's an important period - don't let it get away from you.

Sammie Dunn

Vets advise that you shouldn't take your puppy out to parks, other people's gardens or such if there is or has been a dog present. This is just to prevent illnesses and sickness. However I got my puppy at 10 weeks old, he got his first jab the 2nd day I had him and I still introduced him to other dogs at my friends house and the odd occasional trip to the park and he was fine. So long as they have had their first jab it is ok cause that is the most important one. The first jab prevents against parvovirus which can kill puppies :(

abby_someone

Here is an excerpt from an article that I found here:http://www.vetinfo.com/dparvo.html, Written by Michael Richards, DVM in 2000/2007

"Puppies receive protection from parvovirus in the colostrum, or first milk produced by their mothers. This protection is variable depending on whether the mother had antibodies against parvovirus and how much colostrum a puppy received in its first 24 hours of life. In some cases this protection is not conferred. This variability in maternal protection is the major reason a series of vaccinations is given to puppies. A starting date for vaccination is picked based on the puppy’s ability to respond to infection and the likely timing of exposure to the disease. In general the first vaccination in the puppy series is given between 6 and 8 weeks of age. Only a portion of puppies are capable of responding to this initial vaccine series but since it isn’t practical to determine in advance which puppies can respond, all are vaccinated. The puppies that need the protection get it and the rest do not benefit from the first vaccine. At least 2 weeks later and preferably 3 to 4 weeks later, a second vaccination is given. A larger percentage of puppies respond to this vaccine, but not all of them. The vaccination series is continued at 3 to 4 week intervals until it is likely that all puppies who can respond to vaccination have done so. The number of vaccinations in the series and the age at which the final puppy series vaccination is given will depend on the type of vaccine used, the breed of the puppy, the puppy’s lifestyle, the owner’s experiences and the veterinarian’s experiences with the disease."

It seems that each puppy's response to the vaccine is different. This is a really good article and helped me understand parvo a little better.
Jackienmutts: I agree with the socialization 100%, but I live in an area where it is rare to see a dog trained at all. There are no "kindergarten" classes:((I really wish that there were). I will have to drive 70 miles to find even a training class, which I am going to do only for the socialization AFTER my vet gives me the OK. Sometimes it is a real bummer living in the middle of nowhere :(.

Sammie Dunn

Vets advise against it just because the puppies immune system is not 100% yet. I took Coco out a couple of days after his first set of jabs and all was fine with him (until he feel down stairs and broke his elbow :( ). I would say it is better to introduce them to other dogs as soon as possible. Also if you have other dogs in the house, how are you able to keep them separate for a while without the house getting barked down :D ... I would say it is ok in small doses.

abby_someone

I am not sure what you mean by "small doses". If you mean dogs you know have been vaccinated since puppyhood, then yes, I agree, but....

I am not willing to risk it until he is 12 weeks old.

jackienmutts

Honored Member
I would not let my puppy out in the local park for 5 min or so -- until vaccinations were complete. A puppy can pick up parvo (or other diseases) very quickly. Lots of unknown dogs carrying unknown things can wander thru the local park, you have no way of knowing who's been there. Dogs are pottying in the park, etc. You must remember, a puppy's immune system is still very delicate. Sadly I had a friend who lost a young puppy to parvo several years ago, it was tragic and most likely, avoidable.

Also if you have other dogs in the house, how are you able to keep them separate for a while without the house getting barked down
Obviously, if you have another dog at home, the puppy will be interacting with your other dog - but that's much different than "interacting" with every unknown dog who's wandered thru the park, plus any neighboring dogs (who've wandering thru the park and trampled thru grass and have heaven knows what on their paws) - and by allowing your dog to be in the local park or play with older dogs, that's essentially what you're doing. There are reasons for limiting puppies exposure for the first several weeks until vacc's have been complete - but by finding other puppies and setting up play dates, you're allowing them to still take advantage of the ever-important socialization window and start building their skills. By (hopefully) playing with other puppies, they're still around others who's exposure is also limited. It's in their best interest.

Sammie Dunn

I didn't allow him to play with other dogs. I simply took him into the park which friends and family have all done with their puppys. It is ok for 5 minutes to get them used to a different area.
I know that a puppys immune system is more delicate however I was told by a few people and websites that it is ok if they had their first jab. Which is true cause its the first jab that defends against parvo.

Coco is fine and I did it about 3 days after his first jab so people that say puppies get ill if they are out then are wrong. Some do, some don't. My local park does not get alot of dogs going to it, its right by my house so I know that for a fact and know what areas dogs went in and which areas they didn't so I took him to a area which I know only 1 dog had been too.

I didn't say that you should allow the puppy to interact with every single dog you see. I said that it is ok out in the park, if you bump into another dog there is nothing you can do except pick the puppy up and walk in the other direction. But you need to let the puppy see other dogs, even if you are holding him/her so that they get used to different breeds/sizes

Andi gets to interact with our neighbor's dog, simply because we have no choice (we share a deck and backyard)... I guess there is still some risk in that, but it will help with socialization.

abby_someone

Which is true cause its the first jab that defends against parvo.
According to my research, vets and researchers don't know which shot will be the effective one, and a puppy CAN pick up a virus if it is there no matter how short the duration they are on the ground if they are not protected by either their mother's immunity, or a shot. It is like the 5 second rule on your sandwich, there is just as much bacteria/viruses on the sandwich if it is there for 5 seconds or 10 minutes.

I am very glad that you have not had any problems(y), but I am unwilling to risk it with my new puppy and I am going to wait until my vet gives me the OK.

I'm new to the forum, but I'll tell you what I do. Don't take this as medical advice because it isn't, but I typically weigh the risks with my foster puppies (I foster a pup or two each year). Because these puppies aren't mine, I don't have the opportunity or funds to take them through puppy socialization classes. That being said, I'm not about to box them up in my house and let them miss that critical window of socialization. A lot of the puppies' socialization occurs at my house, but once they've had two out of the three sets (all of mine so far have been >12 weeks by that point), I start to take them out to meet people in public. Typically we go on neighborhood walks, to the barn to see the horses, chickens, and rabbits, or to my local strip mall to sit outside one of the busiest stores (think Starbucks on a weekday morning). I don't take them to dog parks, pet stores (except for adoption events, where they are always on newspaper and not touching the ground), or other heavily populated "dog areas," but I do do my very best to get them out and about. I want them to learn what is normal and what is not before they are to the point where they start making those assumptions on their own. You get such a short period with puppies where they truly are a blank slate that I think it is pivotal to take advantage of that time. I try to minimize risks as best as I can by picking and choosing the areas that I take them, but yes, I suppose I take a few chances with the knowledge that the benefits of having a well-adjusted, well socialized dog for life seem to outweigh the risks.

ETA: It is completely understandable if you are unwilling to take that risk with your puppy, but do make sure to have lots of new people meeting him or her at home and work on leash walking now in your home or yard so that when the time comes, the puppy won't have any reservations about the collar and leash.

Dodge

My local park does not get alot of dogs going to it, its right by my house so I know that for a fact and know what areas dogs went in and which areas they didn't so I took him to a area which I know only 1 dog had been too.

I didn't say that you should allow the puppy to interact with every single dog you see. I said that it is ok out in the park, if you bump into another dog there is nothing you can do except pick the puppy up and walk in the other direction. But you need to let the puppy see other dogs, even if you are holding him/her so that they get used to different breeds/sizes
Wow,are you one of these curtain twitchers :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I m not sure how you can say that you know for sure that dogs have not been in the area where you have taken your pup O_o(after all,there are owners taking there dogs for walks at all sorts of weird hours of the day and night,you may even still be snooooozzzing the night away when they are walking their "reactive" dogs,to keep away from other dogs;))
I do believe however that the earlier you can take your pup out to see a variety of things (people/cars/lorries/dogs/motorbikes/pushbikes) the better,I used to sit on a bit of grass outside our house for ages and ages before he was aloud to go for walks,just to get used to noises,smells,sights etc,follow your gutt instinct,if you wouldnt put your baby at risk with putting it on a "dirty" ground,dont do it to your pup :love::love::love:

Sammie Dunn

Right, first of all I don't see why everyone is reacting to my comments and saying that I was wrong and how do I know this and how do I know that?

Secondly, Dodge... I know that only 1 other dog goes to this park because you can see it from my bedroom window when I am sitting at my computer desk which is alot for work and college. And as for walking, I take Coco out and my neighbour takes her puppy out every 2/3 hours during the night and I only sleep about 1 hour a night cause of insomnia. So I know that only 1 other dog goes in that area. And that is my neighbours dog.