Can I Load Pics Here From My Blackberry? I Am Sorry I Don't Have A Pics Yet. Need Help!

Isi Havanese

Hello to all I am new here!:eek: I need help loading my pictures of my two babies here. Anyone else have a Havanese or other little dog in the Bichon or Maltese type or family of dogs? Curious to know what tricks your little ones do? My Havanese is 13 weeks old 2.5 lbs and her BFF is a 4 year old 110 lb German Shepherd. I am lucky they love each eachother. Supervised 24-7 for now of Course:rolleyes:!! Does anyone have dogs like mine that are so different in size and breed type? Does anyone have them doing tricks together if so what kind. I take mine to nursing homes and would love to take my shepherd along as part of an act. I think I could show oithers that little ones and BIG ones can get along and the tricks go a long way to showing that they are not so big and scary. If my Isi The 2.5 lb baby Havanese isn't afraid why should anyone be? Any ideas would be appreciated. ;)

Lexy88

Welcome :) I have a very large GSD as well, Blade, he is 50kg - I think Sara [another member here] said that was about 120lbs. He is only 18mths and is a bit rough with smaller dogs at the moment, he loves them, just doesnt realise he is steam rolling them :p Enjoy the DTA.

Isi Havanese

I understand that. The key for me was to teach him the true meaning of "easy". It started with my kids of all thimgs teahing him easy when taking food. Then I expanded that to easy playing, easy taking toys, easy pulling on his leash etc... Now when he plays with the tiny pup I say Easy, Kaden in a firm but loving voice and he totally gets it. I am careful to never feed them together in any way, even treats or when we eat one of them is kenneled, even though he knows the rule,,ni begging or even looking too much at us whilst we eat then when we are finished we save a small bit for him. The puppy is beginning to learn the food rule too. I also had a Westie (WHWT) just before I got the Havanese she passed away at the age of 13 lying beside me on the couch I went to tell her to come to bed it is time. She didn't move I cried and yelled at her to get up and then it really hit me that she had passed in her sleep. :cry:She did not suffer and she was Kaden's boss too. She wanted no part of playing and he not allowes to blink without her consent first he truly loved her and spent the week crying and searching the house for her. Then we brought home the puppy, after a few guarded jealous and still sad days he finally has a play buddy that he has to be EASY with though. She should be @7-13 lbs but is soo small she is looking like she will make it to @ 5 or 6 lbs. I will look up a pounds to kg weight table and let you know what that is in kg. Basically she weighs slightly more than a can of cola. Does that help? My biggest problem is him stepping on her but she has quickly learned to step out of the way when he is up. They impress me so much. I was not until your post that I realized that his easy thing is sort of a tricl of it's own. It sure is useful and I use it daily for everything too! One word many countless useless he really understands the entirity of the word now that I think of it I wonder if it would work simularly for other words and tricks, though I cannot think of any other concept teaching right now, anyone have any ideas?:sneaky:Sneaky way of making them do anything want kind of a word concept training?

Isi Havanese

By the way Blade isgeorgeous! Looks a lot like my Kaden GSD. He must know how to be easy with the baby in the picture.? Still makes you nervous though just due to the as you put it steam rolling potential of their size.:cautious:;)

Lexy88

Blade is extremely careful with my toddler, its amazing - he will play rough and tumble with my partner and as soon as Riley, my son, waddles in, he suddenly calms right down and is careful with toys etc.

sara

Staff member
t
Welcome :) I have a very large GSD as well, Blade, he is 50kg - I think Sara [another member here] said that was about 120lbs. He is only 18mths and is a bit rough with smaller dogs at the moment, he loves them, just doesnt realise he is steam rolling them :p Enjoy the DTA.
I realized after I posted that, that my math is way out to lunch... He is 110 lbs not 120 lbs (my bad!:oops:) there are 2.2 pounds in a KG

I dont have quite that size difference, but Oliver is approx 35-40 lbs, and Mouse is 8.5 lbs, and they play beautifully. Also, my sister got a 9 week old Westie pup a month after I got Oliver. Ollie was 7 months old and a goofy clumsy oaf... but he was extremely gentle with Annabelle

running_dog

Honored Member
It isn't the size of the dog it is what is inside it that matters! Some little dogs are very big inside :LOL: !
Big/little dog tricks could be really good fun. I hope you can do little dog walking weave round big dog...

Isi Havanese

Thanks I hadn't thought of that. That is why I am here for the expertise and ideas from dedicated dog lovers like myself. I always thought of trick training as very challenging and something only experts or hard core dedicated dog owners involve themselves with. Looking back at that notion now it seems so obviously ridiculous. Dedicated dog lovers yes but the expert part not necessarily. I am discovering that what works for my Havanese is not necessarily what is being taught in her puppy class. Like the clicker training. We were doing so weel then I brpught home the clicker and it seemed to immediately throw her off as if she has never learbed a thing. A few days without it now and she has began to sit, lay down, jump, twirl, jump with a half twirl and sit pretty with my hand for balance has now become the bouncing back leg only dance. She is mastering rolling over too now. I am worried that I amy be confusing :confused:her with too much too soon too young? What do you think everyone?:unsure:(y)or(n) Today we went swimming for the first time!:D She was a little nervous at first we did lots of treats and praise and she quickly became princess Isabella on long straight rubber float running form end to end and feeling quite confident on their too. She jumprd off omtp the water on her own began to freak out then I quickly"rescued":eek::oops: her gave her treats:p and assisted her out of the pool we did this on and off for about and an hour and a half. She seemed to have really enjoyed it and now she is exhausted. Which is difficult to do with a 13 week old ball of energy. Unfortunately these swimming expiditions will be few due to the chlorinated pool water we shampooed and conditioned afterwards which was just too much :sleep:for one day for her at this age but the socialization window is begininng to close :(:eek:so as many new experiences as possible ASAP right?:unsure::LOL::cool: Hope this a;eight nut i wnat to copy some of this in hopes of getting some more responses to my questions as a new thread. If this is not acceptable practice here please inform me.:notworthy::)

Isi Havanese

The video from Sara the moderator was too cute! I had n0t watched it in it's entirety before because my Westie passed away at the beginning of March.:cry: I had her for 13 years and she just lied down by me and when I said, "come on Pixie it is time for us to go to bed." She didn't move. I kept saying come on let's go. Her eyes were open she looked like she was just resting but she had gone, right beside me and I didn't even know it. She must have just passed moments before that. She had been fine that day and was no where near acting as though she might need be put down any time in the next year or even two. She had played with my GSD that very day. It is still quite a painful loss.
I got my Havanese a week later, I had already researched the breed and knowing that my husband likes little dogs and is not comfortable with bigger ones, like my GSD, I jumped at the chance to get her when I seen an advertisement for her within an hour drive from my home. So I went, cash in hand and saw both parents before choosing a puppy. The adults were beauties and just what I was looking for, but truly I could not have imagined the joy this lil' girl would bring to me. I still miss my Westie, Pixie, she was and will always be my BFF, I buried her in the backyard, my husband did it for me actually.:( I had had 3 litters of poups with her. So watching the Westie puppy brought back a lot of memories. Westie's are great! My Pixie was a lap dog, not typical of the breed at all. So I did choose another breed.
:LOL: The way the two in the video play is exactly how my GSD,Kaden and my Havi, Isabell play now too. She even bites his teeth now, he does gently let her know when he has had enough. He is so good, I did not interfere from the start, as difficult as it was but I am so glad I didn't now!:)
Thank you all you have all been so kind here, I truly do feel quite welcomed!:notworthy:

sara

Staff member
How sad for you guys, losing a dog is one of the hardest things we go though. I lost both my childhood dogs within months of eachother it was horrible.

Oliver is not a good puppy socializer, he does not tell them off for being too rough or biting too hard, he just lets them... odd for a dog aggressive dog dog eh? but he loves his girls, and Annabelle is a favorite playmate. My sister moved to Ontario last year, and Ollie misses them like crazy.

Isi Havanese

Thank you everyone. You all are quickly feeling like my extended DOG FAMILY here! I have learned so much, shared so much and I cannot get over how KIND everyone here has been to me! As much as I have went on and on about my new puppy, she will never be what my Pixie was to me. Each dog touches a different place in our hearts. One that never will be touched again by another but I know their are other places in my heart for a new dog to touch. So I get attached again. Just jump right back in head first with my heart open. I still cry when I think of her but they are tears of joy, I gave her a great life and she gave me many years of that unconditional love that only they seem to know how to truly give.
:love:For my Beloved Little girl, died in peace and rests in peace.
Thank you all.:love:for you 2!

abby_someone

Thank you! I am so sorry that you lost both your childhood dogs in a couple of months. It is so very, very hard to lose a pet, let alone 2.

I have to be grateful that our hearts have the capacity to heal and love another bundle of fur:love:.

Isi Havanese

Thank you, check oiut my new Avatar, that is not actually my baby but it looks JUST like her! Except my Isi has a palpable attitude:X3::sneaky: even in pics. I have great new pics of her crawling on Kaden my GSD, they are too cute together but I still can't load them.

abby_someone

And you had me all excited when I saw you on another thread!! LOL! they are cute little dogs for sure. I can't wait until I can see that "attitude" myself!!!

sara

Staff member
Thank you! I am so sorry that you lost both your childhood dogs in a couple of months. It is so very, very hard to lose a pet, let alone 2.

I have to be grateful that our hearts have the capacity to heal and love another bundle of fur:love:.
It was a horrible time for me. I got Patches when I was 7 years old, and Benji when I was 8. Both died when I was 21. Patches was my heart and soul, she made me who I am today. I was lost after she had to be pts, though she was ready. It nearly pushed me into an unending depression, but I adopted Zoe shortly after... she NEEDED me.

Benji was heartbreaking, he was a perfectly healthy little dog one day (who was never sick a day in the 13 years we had him), and the next he had Cancer... he tried to fight it, a long and hard battle, but for a rescue dog off the streets that was somewhere between 14 and 16, he just didn't have anything left.

But because of them, 5 other dogs have found homes with me, they paved the way for deaf dogs (Patches was deaf for 4.5 years before she died) and rescue dogs. Zoe, Scout, Oliver, Mouse and Boo can all owe their lives to those 2 precious angles.

Dogs give us everything they have, and everything they are, the least we can do is to let them go with dignity, and to honor their memories in the best way we know how.