Camping With The Dogs

southerngirl

Honored Member
Memorial Day May 23-25 weekend I plan on going camping with my family and family friends. Well my mom said Piper is going no matter what, but she doesn't want Missy to come, no one wants Missy to come...
Well she has to because she can't go to doggy camp because of her being reactive. I'm in a way dreading it, worried she'll make the trip miserable, but I'm also a bit excited that she's coming, she never gets to come and I always miss her and feel bad that she is at home. I would really appreciate tips not just for helping Missy enjoy the trip, but also for camping with dogs. Any shots that you feel the dogs should have to be safe for camping? All of Piper's shots are up to date exept her bordetella and Missy just has a rabies shot. Also my friend's Boxer might be there. Missy met her a few years ago so I'd have to reintroduce them. I've looked around for tips on the net, but haven't found anything all that helpful.
One thing I am planning is asking my sister if I can barrow her fold up crate and letting her use our plastic one. And also I'm going to bring lots of treats.
Thanks in advance.:)

running_dog

Honored Member
Camping with Missy! Sounds great!

I don't know about what shots you would need for dogs where you are but I have had Zac camping with me a couple of times and Gus once so here's my few ideas...

A tie out chain can be useful (Zac chews through leads if he is tied up) and mean your dog can hang out with you while you are busy around your camp without you worrying about keeping hold of the leash.

If you are camping in a tent be aware that some dogs sometimes just try to walk through tent walls if they decide to get out. My mosquito net inner tent flap never looked quite the same after I had to stitch it up where Zac walked through it!

Dogs in tents always seem to make loads more condensation than people but they are great for keeping warm when it gets cold.

Stinky dogs at night are not fun to share a small space with. Gus rolled in something one day and we didn't notice until we were back in the tent and couldn't do anything about it, he stunk so bad he made me ill :sick:. At least grumpy Zac wouldn't let stinky Gus come to his (and my) end of the tent ;). However the moral of this tale is to always sniff your dog before you let it into your living place!

It might be a good idea to take some kind of muzzle for Missy (the cage type is better than the soft fabric wrap around type because dogs can still communicate a bit), it's just you don't know who might be camping next door and once in a while you might want to relax for a few minutes without being on Missy watch. I know the cage will do this in part but the muzzle is more versatile sometimes. Still I'd understand if you didn't want to start down the muzzle route and with reactive dogs muzzles can make them feel more insecure and therefore make them more reactive.

Camping with your own dog is great, I think you and Missy will love it! Just be prepared to make this your holiday with Missy, you will end up being left out of some things because you'll have to mind her but you'll also get to explore places together and do things together that you wouldn't do at home. Zac isn't ideal to camp with because of him wanting to chase things but having him with me is worth many times as much as the things I miss out on.

Hope you have loads of fun!

southerngirl

Honored Member
It might be a good idea to take some kind of muzzle for Missy (the cage type is better than the soft fabric wrap around type because dogs can still communicate a bit), it's just you don't know who might be camping next door and once in a while you might want to relax for a few minutes without being on Missy watch. I know the cage will do this in part but the muzzle is more versatile sometimes. Still I'd understand if you didn't want to start down the muzzle route and with reactive dogs muzzles can make them feel more insecure and therefore make them more reactive.
I have a fabric muzzle, because my old dog Domino was dog aggressive and I've used it with Missy here and there. When I used it for introducing her to my friends dog she wanted nothing to do with meeting the dog she layed on the ground staying as far as she could. No barking. I'll see about a basket muzzle I always like having one in hand just in case.

southerngirl

Honored Member
tie out chain can be useful (Zac chews through leads if he is tied up) and mean your dog can hang out with you while you are busy around your camp without you worrying about keeping hold of the leash.
What do you think would be better a normal tie out or a trolly. I was thinking of getting a trolly because I won't have to worry about tangling.

running_dog

Honored Member
I have a fabric muzzle, because my old dog Domino was dog aggressive and I've used it with Missy here and there. When I used it for introducing her to my friends dog she wanted nothing to do with meeting the dog she layed on the ground staying as far as she could. No barking. I'll see about a basket muzzle I always like having one in hand just in case.
I think she'd probably prefer a basket muzzle - I have seen dogs wearing both (the poodle I often walk with wears a basket muzzle all the time off leash) and though the fabric muzzle looks better to us it is much more restrictive than the basket kind. It's good she already has experience of wearing something like that round her face.

running_dog

Honored Member
What do you think would be better a normal tie out or a trolly. I was thinking of getting a trolly because I won't have to worry about tangling.
If you know there'll be space to set up the trolley tie out that would be better, mostly on the English campsites I've been to there isn't space! Just be aware that people are not always conscious of where a dog can get to when on a tie out - and also if you are on a campsite a lot of people will let their dogs and children "go and play" with strange dogs so you'll have to keep an eye on what's going on.

southerngirl

Honored Member
I think she'd probably prefer a basket muzzle - I have seen dogs wearing both (the poodle I often walk with wears a basket muzzle all the time off leash) and though the fabric muzzle looks better to us it is much more restrictive than the basket kind. It's good she already has experience of wearing something like that round her face.
Thanks I look into getting one. Oh and she wears a gentle leader all the time so having something on her face is nothing new to her.:)

southerngirl

Honored Member
If you know there'll be space to set up the trolley tie out that would be better, mostly on the English campsites I've been to there isn't space! Just be aware that people are not always conscious of where a dog can get to when on a tie out - and also if you are on a campsite a lot of people will let their dogs and children "go and play" with strange dogs so you'll have to keep an eye on what's going on.
I'll just get a normal tie out then. And I will really have to keep an eye out for kids and dogs since Missy doesn't do either and with Piper's jumping she could hurt a small child.

running_dog

Honored Member
Thanks I look into getting one. Oh and she wears a gentle leader all the time so having something on her face is nothing new to her.:)
That's great she is used to the gentle leader. The great thing about cage muzzles is they are really visible and so people stay away which is exactly what will make life a lot easier for you and Missy :cool:.

I'll just get a normal tie out then. And I will really have to keep an eye out for kids and dogs since Missy doesn't do either and with Piper's jumping she could hurt a small child.
I think if Missy wore the muzzle when she was on the tie out then people would tend to keep their kids and dogs away. From what you have said you are going to be quite a large group? Sometimes you can set up your part of the camp to make it more private just by the way you pitch your tents. If you are obviously a group it can help to keep other people from wandering through :). All the campsites I've been to dogs are supposed to be leashed on site anyway (though sometimes people don't stick to the rules) if it is similar where you are there might not be a big problem with dogs.

Do you have a belt clip? Maybe you could sometimes just hook Missy to that and have her walk around with you. It is much easier on the dog because it doesn't have to adjust it's distance for what you are doing with your arms all the time. And you have both hands free to do things - that includes having two hands to give Missy treats :LOL:

southerngirl

Honored Member
I think if Missy wore the muzzle when she was on the tie out then people would tend to keep their kids and dogs away. From what you have said you are going to be quite a large group? Sometimes you can set up your part of the camp to make it more private just by the way you pitch your tents. If you are obviously a group it can help to keep other people from wandering through :). All the campsites I've been to dogs are supposed to be leashed on site anyway (though sometimes people don't stick to the rules) if it is similar where you are there might not be a big problem with dogs.
We'll have 8 people and we are reserving two camp spots beside each other. Yeah they are suppose to be leashed, but some people do what they want.
Do you have a belt clip? Maybe you could sometimes just hook Missy to that and have her walk around with you. It is much easier on the dog because it doesn't have to adjust it's distance for what you are doing with your arms all the time. And you have both hands free to do things - that includes having two hands to give Missy treats :LOL:
Love this idea!:D

running_dog

Honored Member
Love this idea!:D
I don't have a belt clip but I almost always hook Zac's lead over my shoulder now when I am walking rather than holding it in my hand, I can grab hold of it if I need to shorten it. He seems much happier and more relaxed. We can train lots more tricks as I have another hand free :)

Oh and here is where we are going. It looks so pretty.
http://www.gastateparks.org/CloudlandCanyon
Gorgeous! You must take lots of photos! I really think you will have a great time!