Calming Signals

abby_someone

Thanks Fly!! Great video! I love Kikopup's vids. I don't have time to look through the 1000's of videos on YouTube and I am very happy when someone else takes that time and posts them here!

AliciaD

Her connection with using calming signals to show your dog that you aren't stressed and are in control is spot on! I usually look out for calming signals from my dogs to know they are stressed, but never used them in turn.

Duncan went to lie down and thudded on the hard floor, so Cameron started barking up a storm thinking someone was here. I did the yawn, sigh, lip licking, and avoidance and she stopped barking in record time! Oh sheesh, is it that easy?!

Ah! Just did it again because my dad pulled into the driveway! Quieted them down super quick! :D

abby_someone

Her connection with using calming signals to show your dog that you aren't stressed and are in control is spot on! I usually look out for calming signals from my dogs to know they are stressed, but never used them in turn.
I had heard of them but didn't know what they were. I now know what to look for in my dog and how to "talk" back :D. I like that I now know more of their language. I can watch for his stress and work on calming him when he needs it. I only wish that I had learned earlier.

Lexy88

Interesting isnt it. I looked into similar stuff for my horses many years ago, and have always practiced yawning, big sighs, lip licking etc while riding. The horses pick up that youre calm, so they calm down. Its good practice for calming my nerves too ;) as I originally looked it up because I would get tense and cause my horses to tense up [after an extreme riding accident - not my horse involved, but he picked up on my nerves when I started riding him again - after a few years rehab]. I do the same with Blade - 'pretend' to be uninterested, bored, calm about a situation and so he just follows suit.