Brushing the dog

kbox8

Any suggestions on how to get a hyper dog to sit to be brushed. I know my dog has short hair but he still is sheding that baby hair. He always bites the brush when you try to brush him and no matter how many times you have him sit. His attention span is like a 1 second. I keep doing it but for me it can make me crazy.:dogblink:

CollieMan

Experienced Member
I had the exact same issue as you had. Then I remember reading that for such dogs, it's often best to wait until they are a little drowsy, or at least until they are not at their most active. Even then, don't push your luck, and just do a few seconds. I would just stroke Ellie for a while, and then surreptitiously introduce the brush to the mix.

These days, if I ever want Ellie to go to sleep, I just brush her. It's like hypnosis! :)

I also changed the brush too, as it was the handle on my older brush that was the issue for Ellie. She would see it and think it was a toy.

kujo3405

ya my puppy wasnt so sure about the brush and ow he just like passes out wen i brush him he even start to do that little kicking thing wit his leg

kbox8

I will try

Thanks I will try this today cause I gave him a bath and he naps around 9pm. He will be sporting the studly look:msnohyes:

splitz831

I just give my pup a crew stick or a really good chewy toy and he lays down with it and doesn't pay attention to me until I get to his head. At which point I need to replace the play thing with something so it's exciting again and he's fine. I also taught him show your tummy, he rolls over on his back, legs away from his tummy and lets me do whatever I want because he knows he'll get tummy rubs after that and a treat! Perhaps a combination might help you.

hockey390

My only suggestion would be to have him lay down. It may be a little harder to brush some spots that way, but then he might be slightly more comfortable.

milissa

i would say just do it ALL THE TIME
several times a day until it's such a boring daily routine that he just ignores it

be sure that YOU are very calm and relaxed-- if you grab the brush and tense up all over, ready to wrestle, he'll know something's up and get even more wound up.

alix

I was just ordering tartan collars, and noticed a product they have called Cowbow Magic, it is supposed to detangle hair for easier brushing. I don't need it myself, but I thought some of you would be interested in reading more about this product just in case it would be helpful :)

bigboytex

hmm...I never had to worry about that as long as ur petting them or messin with them my mutts will just stand around for me

J

jasper

kbox8;3476 said:
Any suggestions on how to get a hyper dog to sit to be brushed. I know my dog has short hair but he still is sheding that baby hair. He always bites the brush when you try to brush him and no matter how many times you have him sit. His attention span is like a 1 second. I keep doing it but for me it can make me crazy.:dogblink:
Now this is one thing I have not had any problems with as I thought. My dog is HUGE and is very playful. He does know lay down or just down and brush belly. While I brush him I pet him and talk to him. We do make a game out of it and I also get his good spots, the ones he loves to be petted; get brushed. Jasper does get brushed a couple times a day as his fur is long and he has 2 coats. Maybe try a different brush, make a game of it by playing first and getting your dog tired. Do you ever tell your dog good boy or good girl? No matter what they are doing and if with you, tell them "good" along with what they are doing. As in good lay down, good down, good stay. At least this is what I had to learn with Jasper. I don't know if it would work. Every dog is different. Try to make it if you can, a fun time for the both of you. That way your dog will enjoy it. I know I would. I love my hair brushed and even my back scratched!!

jasperaliceuk

Experienced Member
I go along with a lot of the advice given here - my pup will submit to brushing when in a dopey state, he gets praised continually with a 'good' word. I also use it as an opportuntity for handling exercises so I name paws, ears etc as I do it. He likes to lie next to me on the sofa while I do it. Its also useful initially to hold a number of treats in our hand releasing them one by one for letting you brush calmly (that's for when he's in a not so dopey state!).

Sue

J

jasper

Don't you just love it when they lie next to you and you give them all the attention? My Jasper eats it up! I finally bought him an undercoat slicker brush, a rake, wide toothed comb and a dematter. Boy, do all of those work! He has 2 coats and shedding like there is no tomorrow. What kind of dog do you have? Jasper is a handful but I wouldn't trade him in for a thing.

Debbie