Border Terrier

leema

The Border Terrier is a breed well recognised in the UK, but less seen in the USA and Australia. The BT is a true package - intelligent, hardy and game, while still having a charming expression. The BT was developed with legs long enough to "follow the hounds", but a body small enough to fit down a fox hole.

Once in a fox hole, the BT's job was to drive the fox out of the hole. However, if a confrontation was to occur, there is a number of breed characteristics to help the BT get the upper hand. One of the most disturbing to people not in the breed is the border's pelt. The pelt of a BT is loose and thick, and BTs can be picked up by its pelt safely. A border's tail can also take a substantial amount of weight, and served as a handle to pull a dog from a foxhole.

Another trait is its wiry coat. This coat needs to be stripped about twice a year, where the harsh outer layer is pulled out to expose the softer undercoat. Originally, running through bushes and the like would've allowed this coat to be stripped out naturally. When the hair is stripped, it poses little discomfort to the border. When encountering the fox, this hair would provide some protection to the border. Though this coat comes out easily, the border does not leave a lot of hair provided its loose hair is regularly stripped.

Though in many breeds, the acceptance into kennel clubs has seen strains develop of 'working' and 'conformation', Border Terriers have not succumbed to this fate. The standard constantly refers to the BT's working ability, and there are many border terriers that work and have their conformation titles. Some borders having 'working certificates', some earthdog titles, and some are just known to work in the field in no given competitions. There are not different types of borders in ability!

The Border Terrier was built for endurance. Given the appropriate fitness training, and the opportunity, the border will go for as long as you can keep out! Though some people have different experiences, my borders have always been house potatoes who are undemanding of exercises. However, upon the suggestion of a walk, they go tirelessly and effortlessly for much longer than me!

This breed has proven to be versatile. Borders have been titled in all dog sports they can participate in. Truly a terrier by nature and trainability, but completely rewarding to train to a standard or to see working its innate abilities in earthdog, endurance or tracking.

The Border Terrier is generally affectionate towards people, and not so aloof as some of the other terrier breeds. Border Terriers are also one of the 'less feisty' terriers. Stemming to their hunting roots, BTs were expected with packs of foxhound, and dog aggression was not tolerated. This terrier breed is not typically yappy, more likely to bark at SOMETHING rather than for its own enjoyment. Of course, this characteristics are dependent on the individual dog and the upbringing it receives.

Border Terriers have a high pain tolerance threshold, and have a habit of becoming quite sick before you know about it! Despite this, they have a low tolerance for 'misbehaviour' and, like any breed, should not be left unsupervised with children. They are quite laid back for a terrier, but still a terrier at heart.

I was attracted to the border terrier for its small size, game nature, low-shedding coat, reserved energy needs, and non-yappiness. I have not been disappointed! The Border Terrier was an ideal choice for my lifestyle, and I am completely smitten by their personalities and their expression. I find nothing more appealing than their characteristic head tilt - especially at appealing suggestions such as "would you like some tea?" and "wanna go to the park?".

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
I was attracted to the border terrier for its small size, game nature, low-shedding coat, reserved energy needs, and non-yappiness. I have not been disappointed! The Border Terrier was an ideal choice for my lifestyle, and I am completely smitten by their personalities and their expression. I find nothing more appealing than their characteristic head tilt - especially at appealing suggestions such as "would you like some tea?" and "wanna go to the park?".
Great article about Border Terriers! :D I think you should post some pictures of your dogs to give readers more references. Although they can always view your signature. :dogsmile:

leema

Okay, here's some pictures. :)

Clover is a blue and tan and is only a puppy:

Mac is a 'red grizzle' and is just 6 years old:

Also, if anyone is interested in the breed, I have a border terrier website. :)

katz

I am researching different terriers because I am looking at getting a terrier in 2 years. You can never do too much research. Border Terriers are at the top of my list! I was happy to log in and see your article. We have a miniature dachshund who is a great joy. We plove to play and she does great with the kids...she just gets tired too easy! Not a big issue because she loves to snuggle when she is done. I am becoming more of a little dog person. I never thought I would say that! We currently also have a yellow lab and a border collie. The 2 larger dogs are probably the most laid back specimens of their breed. I have always played fetch to relieve stress and the only on e that will play is the dachshund. If I have had a really rough day at work...Piper just can't last long enough. I am a dispatcher for law enforecement, 911 and fire. My day is full of the bad of the city I live in and my dogs keep me sane so my family can tolerate me! Any help on breed research would be great.

natty

I like border terriers , i havent had one of my own but my grandparents always had them when i was growing up so i am familiar with the breed . its a breed i would like to own one day. id be interested in how easy they are to train for things like retriveing and obedience . heres a little border terrier story.

my grandparents had a lovely border called dukey when i was very small and my grandfather grew all his own vegetables and my grandmother was a wonderfull cook. every sunday we had a delicious roast . there was just one problem for me . I hated the peas , trouble was they were home grown and my grandfather was very proud of them . im sure they were nice as peas go but i dont like peas! . thus instead of offending my grandparents and incuring his wrath ( he was a huge man and very scarey to me ) i used to discreetly pop my peas under my chair where dukey would be reliably waiting to silently gobble them up . problem solved .
at least until many years later when dukey passed away and a new border terrier called vicky was adopted into the home .
we sat down as usual and when noone was looking i as always discreetly popped my peas under the chair for the dog , alas it was only after the meal that i descovered that vicky didnt like peas either ! i got well and truly busted by my grandparents who were utterly appalled at my dishonest behaviour :( i got in a lot of trouble and now i always eat my peas and think of that day . i still hate peas tho .

katz

Thank you that was a very cute story. Border terriers seem very versatile and hardy. If we decide on Border Terriers and my daughter starts eating her peas I will be sure to check under the table!