Border Collie Rescue

collie23

So I found out today that the breeders dog that I was hoping to adopt from isn't pregnant so need to go back to the drawing board.

I wondered if anyone knows of any decent Border Collie rescues? hopefully in Southern England (would be helpful) I live in Southampton.

I will be honest that I didn't give a decent look first time as i really want a puppy and figured 'every dog needs a home, why not home one from a decent breeder' but now that its fallen through I'm going to give the rescues a proper look (although i'm not guaranteeing that i'll get one). I still want to adopt as young a Border Collie as possible which i know might not be possible unless from a breeder but any suggestions are more than welcome.

Mutt

Experienced Member
Sorry I don't live in England so I can't help you with rescues, but maybe it's an idea to contact the border collie breed club? Sometimes it happens that a puppy comes back to the breeder(family can't take care of the dog anymore). or look at the (local) shelter? Although the origin of those dogs sometimes are unknown.
Good luck finding the right dog!

Dogster

Honored Member
If you search up "border collie rescue uk" or something like that, tons of sites will pop up. Here's a good one, there are many border collies close to you:) : http://www.pets4homes.co.uk/search/?type_id=3&breed_id=97&location=southampton&advert_type=2

My personal favourite from the listings (so far) is Jem :love: He is so CUTE!!!!http://www.pets4homes.co.uk/classifieds/97888-jem-1-year-old-merle-collie-with-hope-leeds-caerphilly.html

If you decide to get an adult dog, you won't have to train him/her to not bite, pull on the leash, housebreak them, etc. depending on the dog. That's a really good thing, especially if you're a busy person and can't spend every minute of the day with your puppy. I hope you'll find a dog that interests you!!!:)

Adrianna & Calvin

Experienced Member
I'm so glad to hear that you're considering adopting rather than buying.

I will be honest that I didn't give a decent look first time as i really want a puppy and figured 'every dog needs a home, why not home one from a decent breeder' but now that its fallen
Overpopulation is a huge problem in dogs and cats, so every home that goes to a purposely-bred dog means that one more dog sits in the shelter (if s/he's lucky) or is euthanized (if s/he's not) for lack of space. So again, major kudos for looking to save a rescued dog rather than buy from a breeder.

Besides the links posted, remember that there are often young "washout" farm dogs (good pups who may not have as much "eye" as others in the litter) who need homes, so keep the word out that you're looking for a young BC. Local clubs may be another place to hear of these dogs.

Dlilly

Honored Member
You can also check a website like Craigslist, look for dogs that people are giving away or are about to bring to the pound. NEVER buy a dog from there! Some people are really trying to find a good home for their dogs, so checking it out won't hurt.

My mom was flagging back yard breeder's ads on Craigslist when she came upon an ad about a woman trying to re-home her Australian Kelpie, she was going to bring him to the shelter the next day if no one took him. She asked for a fee to make sure he went to a good home, but she gave him to me for free because of my rescue work. (YES, this how I got Rory!) I'm too lazy to write the whole story, but basically she bought a dog from a bad breeder and she knows what she did was wrong, and that keeping him in the suburbs is just crazy.

Be SUPER careful and really make sure they aren't breeders or trying to make money. I know of some people who have also gotten their dog from someone giving him away on craigslist. As long as you are careful everything should be fine.

collie23

Hi , Fortunately i've found my little girl now (see profile pic) :) but in the future i'll definitely check it out :) thank you