Blood Bath

LauraMarie

Well, I went to work today for five hours (I only have two days a week when I am gone 5 hours - it's the most I'm ever gone - Tuesdays and Thursdays). I have a non-carpeted are - also known as the kitchen - which is closed off from the rest of the house. I leave Frankie there.

On Tuesday when I left for work, Frankie tore up a whole section of wallpaper. So this time, I got a little smarter, and covered the walls will cardboard boxes I opened up and duck taped in place.

When I came home today, it was a bloodbath. Blood all over the floors, the cardboard and there furniture. I rent this place, and as I've mentioned people here are NOT dog friendly. It is imperative that Frankie not destroy things.

When I came home I could hear her whining and crying from outside the building. Five. Hours. Later. Her paw was all torn up - there's a loose flap of skin - and blood was everywhere.

I checked everywhere for something she might have torn it on, but I can't find a thing. It looks like she got so obsessive about trying to get out that she tore up her foot.

I don't know what to do.

I am dreading having to leave her alone again, even to go to the store.

God help me Tuesday.

Please, any advice would be great. I don't know what to do. She clearly has major anxiety about being alone.

Attachments

fly30

Experienced Member
Oh poor Frankie !!! Just an idea but, can you find a huge fresh bone anywhere where you live ? This could keep her busy for a few hours.

fly30

Experienced Member
Other things : is this room where she usually sleeps or do you leave her there only when you go ? If she is used to sleeping there, she may be less stressed. So try to have her sleep there often when you are here.
Also, try and leave her there 5 minutes and come back. Don't say you are leaving and come back as if nothing happened. Then try 10 minutes and so on. She should realise that it's normal for you to come and go and above all, that you always come back and that this is normal too. Your departure and your return should not be something special (so no fuss and no "oh my love here you are !!!", no excitement). After 5 minutes after you're back, you can start playing with her again. Also, if you discover big disaster on your return home, don't say anything. She won't understand why you are angry and will associate that when she's left alone, you're always angry when you are back which will make her all the more anxious. Just be as if nothing happened. Dogs have immediate associations. Your behaviour is always associated to what has immediately happened, not what happened two hours ago.

LauraMarie

The kitchen isn't normally the room she sleeps in - I was letting her sleep with me. No longer, I assure you! She will be sleeping in the kitchen, she's got to get used to it! I have taken your advice and begun to work on leaving her there short periods of time. She immediately pees, which is a bummer, since we were doing so well on potty training, but I don't mind.

She is terrified of the outside, of walks, of life. It's sad to see her so debilitated.

sara

Staff member
Freeze a stuffed kong, give it to her ONLY when you leave. At first, put her in the kitchen, give her the kong, then step out the door, then immediately come back in, pick up the kong, and go about your buisness, do this several times the first day, then do the 5 minute/ten minute thing. also, put her in the kitchen when you're home for 1/2 hour or so, get her used to being away from you without the stress of her being alone.

fly30

Experienced Member
She needs to be more confident. It's going to be hard work but it's worth it. Maybe you could start trick training. This will make her busy and will tire her a bit. It will also make her trust you more and more. No matter what you allow or disallow, be always the same and this will reassure her. Teach her to touch things with her nose and when she's affraid of something, invite her to touch it then give her a treat. I do this with Fly who is not always self-confident (but her case is an easy trip compared with your little dog). Don't give up and be patient, and it will get better.

fly30

Experienced Member
Sara, I'm not sure LauraMarie finds a Kong where she lives. But maybe she can make a wooden Kong or something. It has to be something hollow where you can stuff food into.

LauraMarie

I would love to get her started on trick training... but honestly I don't know where to begin. Do you have thoughts? Or a suggested page/thread to look at?

Amateur

Experienced Member
I second the crate training. My first dog had separation anxiety too - not as bad as Frankie probably. We would show her the kong and she would run into her crate - it was a good safe place for her.
I crate my dogs for a bit, even when I am home, so its not just a sign I am going away for a long time.

laramie

Experienced Member
I definitely agree with fly and cowgirl on how to train with the separation anxiety. I also think crate training is a good idea, but my dogs have still proven that they can tear up stuff when in there (out of boredom, not anxiety). Fairley began to chew the hair off of her tail and her legs, so this still might not solve all of your problems, but it's something else to try. Kongs are great, but if your dog is too anxious, she might just ignore it.

If you're going to work on tricks with her, I suggest looking into Kyra Sundance's books. After you've done the basics, try doing simple things like shake. Also, try socializing your puppy as much as you can. It will help build her confidence. This is a good place to start. http://www.brisbeethewhite.com/id29.htm

Fairley is afraid of everything. Our neighbor gave us a cantaloupe and I shook it at her, just screwing around, and it terrified her. If I would have known that she was actually scared of it, I would have never done that. But, I started rolling it, and being a Border Collie, she chased it. Just recently, we had out jack o lanterns on our porch, and she was scared of them too (not the faces, just the pumpkins in general). So I let her sniff them, and even took the top off and let her lick it, so she realized it wasn't going to come and get her (took a little more work than I just explained) Now they're her best friends.O_o If my little chicken can do it, so can Frankie. ;)