Blackdog Harness Users--some Questions

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
So, some of you may have seen the post about my newest addition, the so far unnamed Weimaraner girl. I do want to get her a BlackDog harness; I think I will like this product very much. I was a fan of the Easy Walk harness too, the idea of either one is great. But I do like the BlackDog harness better.
So here's my question...I understand the concept of the double-ended leash that attaches on the back and chest, but is it either necessary or all that much more helpful?
I really don't think I will need the double-ended leash, but then again I've never used one so I just don't know if there is a big benefit there.
Anyway I just want some input on the double-ended leash.....?
Thanks!

sara

Staff member
I LOVE the double ended leash. I clip one end to the front of Oliver's harness, and the other end to his head halter, in this way I can hold the leash so as to not allow his head to be snapped around if he lunges, it turns his whole body, instead of just his neck. I'm very nervous about the damage a head halter can do on it's own. Oliver's head will turn partially, then the harness gets the pressure, and his shoulders get pulled around.

I also like it for the fact that you can clip one end to the collar, so you have an extra safety. But it's not necessary. TTouch people use the two points of pressure, one on the back, and one on the front to keep a dog balanced on 4 feet, but I'm not sure if it's necessary.

I bought Scout the harness and double ended leash, I clip it to both front and back, and she walks well like that. If I'm letting her loose lead walk, I unclip the front and let her wander, but if I need to keep her close, I clip to both.

It's not necessary, by any means, but I really like the versatility of having it... and it's so light and soft... but expensive for a student ;)

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
I don't plan on using a head halter with her; just the harness and some training. She's not going to be difficult to leash train; I've already tried a couple of different methods together(turning around when she gets ahead, as well as--once she gets it--stopping and waiting for her to come back where I want her before walking again) and she responded very well. She's great with other dogs as well as people, so no concerns with needing to have more control; simply a matter of working on improving her on-leash behavior gradually.
The double ended leash, to me, just seems awkward to use. I'm sure you get used to it, but it just looks like it'd be a little odd at first. Both the TTouch harness and the BlackDog describe it as being like driving a horse. Not so sure about that. Plus eventually I want to walk all three dogs together(once the new dog is very well leash trained), so I will have a 3-dog link...(a tripler? Lol)

I make my own leashes out of paracord, so really I need to decide if I want to make a double-ended leash or a normal leash for her. It's much cheaper than buying the Balance Pack with the double ended leash, so I'm just going to buy the harness anyway and then make whichever leash I decide to go with.
I tried to find Ollie's picture in his harness the other day with no luck to see the "real" color since it's hard to tell on the website. I like the color of her collar now(in the picture on my new dog post); it looks like it's not quite as bright as the green on the website's color chart. I think the purple would look good too though. I'll decide on Friday when I buy it. :) Maybe by then she'll have a name too. xD Poor thing.

Hayley Thompson

I tried using a 6 ft leash as a balance leash for Riley as she often pulls...and I was amazed! I had so much more control and she was much more confident, I only used it one or two days and then I had her on a normal lead the other day and I felt she was much more well behaved..not sure if that was just coincidence or not, but I really found it much easier to walk with her on a balance leash

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Hmm....interesting input on the double-ended leash. Still pondering on it, but ordering the harness tomorrow.
Thanks for the suggestion SouthernGirl! I've decided on a name, now just to decide on which harness to get her. :) Decisions, decisions.

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Thanks Sara!!
I think I will go with the purple...but would love to see your pic of Scout!! :)
I can't wait to buy her a tracking harness, but it will have to be blaze orange for safety when she's out hunting with us. CAN'T WAIT TO START TRAINING HER FOR ALL KINDS OF TRACKING! She's going to be very useful. :D

katz

tx_cowgirl,
Let me know if you have found any good books on tracking!!! Scooby is going to have to start school. We were going to do bird dog but with his play drive I am wondering if tracking may be more useful....wonder what we should train to find?

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Katz, here are some books that you might find helpful:

Try Tracking! by Carolyn A. Krause (Field Trial training stuff as well as practical uses)
Making Scents of Tracking by Deborah R. Davis (more AKC field trial type stuff)
Tracking Dogs for Finding Wounded Deer by John Jeanneney(if you are interested in blood trailing)
Positive Gun Dogs by Jim Barry(if you do decide to try out bird dog stuff--NO shock collars, force retrieves, or other such traditional methods here)
Fun Nosework for Dogs by Roy Hunter(this one has been recommended to me, but I haven't gotten it)

I have a whole slew of tracking books on my Amazon wish list, but these are the books that were recommended to me. I currently only own Try Tracking! and a few other tracking books that I was pretty disappointed in; they were just over my head at this point. They might be beneficial when I know what I'm doing. xD

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
I went with the purple. It shipped today so should be here in a week or so! :D Now if I could only find a tracking harness I liked. >< No one has blaze orange.