Blackdog Balance Harness--love It!

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
First of all, thanks to everyone that posted about these on another thread; I had never heard of BlackDog.
I ordered one for my newest dog, Gypsy. I liked the design very much and it looked like a good product. It came in yesterday and I immediately put it on her.

After getting it adjusted, I walked her in the house for just a couple minutes, more for me to figure out this whole double-ended leash thing than for her to grasp the concept. Using a double-ended leash is extremely awkward at first, or it was for me, but I like it now.
When I thought I kind of knew what I was doing, we went outside. Just in walking from my front door to the dirt road beside my house, she was walking beautifully!! That's only about 60ish feet, and it took us less than a minute to get to the road. We continued walking for another 45 minutes in a field and she was great the whole time! I was just stunned, with sooooo little actual training she was a completely different dog in this harness. There is no doubt in my mind that it's all in the product; Gypsy is a fierce puller and I hadn't hardly done any actual training with the harness.
What an excellent product! Of course, every dog is different, so not sure if it's this wonderful for all dogs, but I am very impressed with the balance harness.

Wow! Two thumbs up for the BlackDog Balance Harness!

sara

Staff member
YAY I'm glad it's working for you too! Did you end up going with the purple?

Wow, great results!! Happy it works!
We don't have Black Dog around here.
Neither do we, I ordered mine from Australia :)

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Yes, I got purple. Haven't attempted to get a picture of Gypsy in it yet; she's so hard to take pictures of, lol!
@Anneke-me either, I had to pay for international shipping. I thought the shipping would be outrageous but it was only ~$8 to ship from Australia to the US.

jackienmutts

Honored Member
Glad to hear about this, Tx. I love hearing about new stuff like this. And wow, $8 to ship from Australia? Sheesh, it'd probably cost the same thing to ship from the east coast to Ca. Who knew? :confused:

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Lol yeah I was actually expecting more than that so I was okay with paying the $8. :p Still expensive for shipping fees, but I was expecting more to ship this far.

mewzard

Experienced Member
I love the black dog harness..... but my pain in the backside dog (:love:) decided she would chew through the front of it whilst i had my back turned for 30 seconds. Then (separate occasion) she managed to get the double ended lead out of a deep box whilst we were out and chew though it in 2 places!! So i have to replace the whole lot when i get monies again!!
She is going though a big destruction phase and has chewed so much stuff up recently :mad::rolleyes:.
I worked out that for me it didn't cost much more than buying the easywalk harness from within the Uk

Pawbla

Experienced Member
Wow, it's pretty expensive. How is it better than most harnesses? It looks totally adjustable so that sounds like a big pro.

mewzard

Experienced Member
Multiple adjjustment points, lovely soft webbing, front clip (and a back one) lots of nice colours.

What i ahven't been back here to say is that the lovely guy from Black Dog read my above post and send me a brand new and improved harness for free!!! it's great!! Fits better and hasn't become dog food.