Best ever homemade toy

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
//"Can I use turkey necks if I can find chicken ones? Chicago is currently the capitol of Hell's kitchen and I hate to turn the oven on to roast a chicken just to see if Asher likes the neck...but of course I would!"//

well, no oven req'd nor recommended, dogs can ONLY chew on RAW bones. Chicken necks are great for their teeth, but the bones HAVE TO BE raw. Never give a dog a COOKED bone,
i learned that the hard way...don't do it, my last dog had bloody stools after i stupidly let him chew on a cooked bone in middle of rib-eye steak. Ended up at the vets, but, luckily, he ended up okay, i was lucky.

point is--------only give RAW bones to a dog. RAW bones make great 'toys' or 'chew items' for dog.

JoAnne

no, no I didn't mean to imply I was cooking the bird for him, just for me me to not waste it just so he could have the neck! Since that post, Asher (who is doing so well, I am soooo proud of all he's learned) has been on a raw diet with most of it being chicken and beef rib bones when they're on sale. He's doing fantastic on the raw diet!

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
:ROFLMAO: oh duh, of course! lol, why didn't i realize that! lol, we recently had a thread on raw bones, i was not reading your words right.
HOW ARE YOU!? Hows the dog?

JoAnne

He is so awesome! He's got his service vest; he can not only take all of my clothes off, but if I have him do it in one room, I can have him drag them into the bedroom and put them away in a storage bench. Not so good with long things like pants and sweat shirts, but socks, slippers..."bite size" things. The other day he had my husband's sock and I made him deliver it to my hand. It was soooo cute and so sad at the same time! How'd I do it, you ask? PORK RINDS!!!!!!!!!!!

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
AWESOME WORK, BTW, sounds like you are doing GREAT on your service dog! bet he LOVES the lessons and work! KUDOS!! HUGE ROUND OF APPLAUSE FOR YOU OVER HERE!!

JoAnne

AWESOME WORK, BTW, sounds like you are doing GREAT on your service dog! bet he LOVES the lessons and work! KUDOS!! HUGE ROUND OF APPLAUSE FOR YOU OVER HERE!!
It took forever to find something he liked on a regular basis, he might love it at noon but by the 3:00 'trick session' not anymore, but the pork rinds...btw, he'll eat the cheapie generic ones but if I realllllllllly need focus I have to use the ones that are 'homemade' from the Mexican market. The only problem is the"One for Ash. two for mommie" thing!

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
do you mean those things that are sort of like potato chips, very crunchy thingies? is that what YOU mean by "pork rinds"?
(to me, "pork rinds" come in a bag, are sold next to chips, and are super super flakey, crunchy things, almost like a cheeto chip.)

is that what "pork rinds" are to you?