Bergin University Of Canine Studies

jordyquint

Experienced Member
Hey guys,

I just stumbled on Bergin University of Canine Studies a few days ago and ever since it has been on my mind. I am currently taking classes at my local community college and then planned to go to my local university for English, Psychology, or Criminal Justice (wide range of interests, I know!) in the next year... but then I found Bergin.

I've always wanted to train service dogs... since I was 12 to be exact. Two of my sisters have autism and they are in our local special olympics, so I have a real passion to help those with disabilities. I'm thinking about transferring, either in the next year or after I graduate from my local university. I have a lot of options and am having a hard time deciding what I want to do! Anyway, I haven't really found any reviews on Bergin, so I was wondering if you heard anything or know anything about the school.

http://www.berginu.edu

Thanks.

srdogtrainer

Experienced Member
As a graduate of Bergin University I would say if you want to be a service dog trainer or a dog trainer in general I would definitely recommend BUCS. You will learn A LOT. I went into the program with very limited dog experience and got a well rounded experience. I am now comfortable with just about any aspect of dog training. Here are some of the reviews on their website.

http://www.berginu.edu/discover/reviews.html

jordyquint

Experienced Member
Thank you! I'm seriously considering going.

Is there anything else you want to add? There are a lot of positive reviews and that's great! Is there anything you didn't like about Bergin? I would probably have to stay in the dorms. If you did, was it enjoyable?

srdogtrainer

Experienced Member
It is really hard to come up with anything negative, because when ever there was something else we wanted we would just talk to Bonnie Bergin and she would go out of her way to make it happen. For example we said we really wanted to learn a little bit about guide dogs so every week a instructor flew in just to teach the class.

I also liked that it was very diverse and we had a variety of teachers and training styles.

srdogtrainer

Experienced Member
Oh and I wished that we got to train a few different breeds and some more challenging dogs and I saw that they did that at least one year since I was there. They brought in a few collies and they also got to train some rescue dogs to help them get adopted.

srdogtrainer

Experienced Member
BUCS is the only college that has a service dog training program. It was 10 months and you have to get your other liberal arts and elective type classes at another school. They only have dog related classes or classes that directly relate to the field. You can also go through programs at different service dog organizations.