Bella

VickiL

This is my Westie, Bella. She was 1 year old in July. We have alot of fun together but my training skills have not been so good. She is smart but she knows I love her too much and usually gets her way.

Attachments

Jukes

Hi and welcome to the forums:D
What a cute dog you have there - I hope you both find this forum really useful for your tricks and lots of other doggie stuff.
If you have any questions at all don't hesitate to ask;)

running_dog

Honored Member
Welcome to DTA!
I do know what you mean... sometimes I laugh at my dog too much because he is funny even though he isn't doing what I have asked :)

VickiL

I'm having trouble getting her to stop barking outside at everything she see or hears. I have tried everything.
any other suggestions?
:eek:

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
VICKI! IS THAT YOU? I *think* this is my dog-loving sister-in-law She has it baaaaaaaad, a real dog lover !! i could be wrong, but, that looks like Bella!
SO STOKED TO SEE YOU HERE,:D if this IS you! (even if it is NOT my sis-in-law, still a warm welcome to whoever you are):)
Bella is a BRILLIANT and most adorable dog! I can vouch for that!
To learn how to begin teaching tricks, DO LOOK AT "CLASSROOM" up above, is a lil sign up at top of page. Keep all lessons super-short, like 3 to 5 minutes for beginner dogs. You can repeat the lesson a few times a day, but, keep each lesson short.
Here is Kikopup, a 'positive only' dog trainer, who focuses mostly on behavior issues in her videos. She has made FIVE videos on how to help a dog stop barking, each one of the five videos focuses on a different type of dog barking. NOt sure which of the five is best for Bella's type of barking.
Anyway, HERE is Kikopup's video #1, on Dog Barking, and IF you watch this on youtube, you can easily spot Kikopup's videos #2 thru #5, along the side of the youtube page. If the videos #2, #3, #4, and #5 don't show up on the side of the youtube page, you can google "Kikopup barking #2" and so on, the video will pop up.
Barking cessation IS a toughie, but YOU CAN DO IT VICKI!!!! If you have problems following the video, or questions, do post your questions, everyone here is nice.
http://youtu.be/Jp_l9C1yT1g

sara

Staff member
Barking cessation IS a toughie, but YOU CAN DO IT VICKI!!!! If you have problems following the video, or questions, do post your questions, everyone here is nice.

HA! Not everyone here is nice... Apparently I'm nasty:sneaky: (I stuck up for Pitbulls on another forum... not nicely apparently :rolleyes:)

My sister had a tough time with her Westie to stop her barking... One of the things I told my sister to do is to go to the window or door, look and then say "Good JOB Annabelle!!! Thank you soooo much, nothin' to worry about though!" then throw a handful of food on the floor away from where she was barking... It worked. But you have to be careful to time things properly, or you'll end up with a dog who barks to get treats! LOL

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
lol, Sara IS nice!
Sara, i too, share your annoyance at the pitbull-bashing that is so rampant, i would have been with you on that one, too. I mostly stay off all other dog forums, (except a dog-aggression website for owners of dogs like Buddy:ROFLMAO:)
as i find the general populations of other dog forums not that dog-savvy to interact with, lol. Most of the time, i almost get a headache on OTHER dog forums, reading what they believe...shiver.
It's very hard to learn anything true or useful on other dog forums,
but,
on THIS dog forum, i learn something every time i log on.
Yeah, Vicki, there are many many ways and approaches to helping a dog bark less,
and feel free to post how it is coming along for *your* dog,
and others here can help you. Vicki, YOU ARE NOT ALONE! Many of us here have struggled along trying to solve a problem,
and then,
someone else comes along and helps us.
wow, if i even began to count the number of times others here on DogTRickAcademy have helped me with Buddy...well, it'd be like trying to count the stars, lol :D

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Or maybe this video #5 might be more helpful for your situation? If your dog is the dog behind the fence (oppostie of what is shown in THIS video,)
maybe
that last moments of this short 5 minute video might be more helpful to you, not sure.
ALL KIKOPUP videos are only about 5 minutes long
and
easy to understand.
http://youtu.be/3n_fPKPLA2g

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
and here is something (another 5 minute video, NOT a long one at all.)
if you are imaginative maybe you can modify this video to fit your needs....
as something you can do
while sitting out in your yard with Bella,
to help Bella stop barking?
maybe..
http://youtu.be/TBvPaqMZyo8