Bella Has Learnt "yummy"

Caitikoi

That's great! We need to teach our dog that! Could you share with us how you started teaching him this trick?

TiflovesBCs

Experienced Member
That's great! We need to teach our dog that! Could you share with us how you started teaching him this trick?
I started teaching Bella by smearing a bit of soft butter on her muzzle, had my clicker at the ready and clicked and treated everytime she licked her lips to get the butter off.
After she got the idea i then added the cue word.
I did start using peanut butter but it doesn't agree with Bella :sick:

Caitikoi

Oh man my family needs a clicker. But, our Seamus still isn't even a year old yet, I'd assume we definitely have some time before he's "unteachable". Oh, by the way, just because it came to me our family used to have a dog named Bella, too. Well, "Belle", but pronounced the same.

Anneke

Honored Member
Me, jumping in quickly....Caitikoi, A dog can learn anything at ANY age!!!! Younger dogs might get it a bit quicker, but an old dog can learn just as well as a young dog!!;)
If you don't have a clicker, you can use a "markerword" like YES, instead of the click.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Tif, doesn't it seem the MORE tricks you teach a dog,
the easier it gets? and the faster the dog "gets it"??????? KUDOS ON YET ANOTHER GREAT TRICK!!!

I also taught this same trick, with cue word "kitty cats" so i could turn to Buddy,
and ask him, "Buddy, do you like kitty cats?"
and he'd lick his lips!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

BUT, i had to let that trick go,:oops:
cuz, Buddy kept messing up "kitty cats" (lick his lips)
with his
SMILE trick, apparently, TWO mouth tricks was one too many for MY dog.:rolleyes:

so i thought about it, and decided, between "kitty cats" and "smile" i just looooooove his smile trick.

Caitikoi

Oh my god this is incredibly embarrassing. We underestimated both the peanut butter's stickiness and the length of Seamus's mustache. Long story short, we had to trim one half of it. Oops. Ah well, we're not gonna keep him trimmed with the long mustache anyway. I suppose we'll try the butter then? I'd guess that's less sticky.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
:ROFLMAO:
TOO FUNNY! OH NOooo!!!

even a small bit will get a dog to lick his mouth, just a little itty bitty tiny dab will do the job!!

What cue word will you use to make your dog lick his lips? You have time to think one up, no hurry.
but It's fun to think of "jokes" so you ask a question,
and dog would lick his lips to your question!!

"Seamus, do you like ___X____?"
and X can be anything---Steak, eating cell phones, squirrels, cats, shoes, the mailman, tequila, ice cream, chewing Fred's leg, whatever.

If you do a question,
to make a joke,
just use LAST word of the question,
not the whole question. so you'd train Seamus to lick his mouth if he hears the word "kitty cats" or whatever then Seamus would lick his lips, "Seamus do you like kitty cats?" and he will lick his lips.

really, making tricks into JOKES can be fun, too!!
but Yummy is cute, too!!! and you could do same thing, is ask a question, "Seamus, is this cake yummy?" "Seamus, do you think this cell phone would taste yummy?" and so on.

SD&B

Experienced Member
Oh man my family needs a clicker. But, our Seamus still isn't even a year old yet, I'd assume we definitely have some time before he's "unteachable". Oh, by the way, just because it came to me our family used to have a dog named Bella, too. Well, "Belle", but pronounced the same.
Sometimes I don't have a clicker handy and I use a click of my tongue. The important thing is to have a marker, the more consistent the better. A clicker is just convenient, not the only marker. You can use a ball point pen, if the environment isn't too noisy.

Seamus is such a cutie. Love the peanut butter story.

SD&B

Experienced Member
:ROFLMAO:
TOO FUNNY! OH NOooo!!!

even a small bit will get a dog to lick his mouth, just a little itty bitty tiny dab will do the job!!

What cue word will you use to make your dog lick his lips? You have time to think one up, no hurry.
but It's fun to think of "jokes" so you ask a question,
and dog would lick his lips to your question!!

"Seamus, do you like ___X____?"
and X can be anything---Steak, eating cell phones, squirrels, cats, shoes, the mailman, tequila, ice cream, chewing Fred's leg, whatever.

If you do a question,
to make a joke,
just use LAST word of the question,
not the whole question. so you'd train Seamus to lick his mouth if he hears the word "kitty cats" or whatever then Seamus would lick his lips, "Seamus do you like kitty cats?" and he will lick his lips.

really, making tricks into JOKES can be fun, too!!
but Yummy is cute, too!!! and you could do same thing, is ask a question, "Seamus, is this cake yummy?" "Seamus, do you think this cell phone would taste yummy?" and so on.
I need this forum because my cue words and trick names obviously stink :notworthy: . I call my Yummy trick "lick":ROFLMAO: . I can change it, though, since I haven't attached a verbal yet.

TiflovesBCs

Experienced Member
Tif, doesn't it seem the MORE tricks you teach a dog,
the easier it gets? and the faster the dog "gets it"??????? KUDOS ON YET ANOTHER GREAT TRICK!!!

I also taught this same trick, with cue word "kitty cats" so i could turn to Buddy,
and ask him, "Buddy, do you like kitty cats?"
and he'd lick his lips!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

BUT, i had to let that trick go,:oops:
cuz, Buddy kept messing up "kitty cats" (lick his lips)
with his
SMILE trick, apparently, TWO mouth tricks was one too many for MY dog.:rolleyes:

so i thought about it, and decided, between "kitty cats" and "smile" i just looooooove his smile trick.

Yes it does.

I'm thinking of making the trick Isn't this .......... yummy??

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
//

Yes it does. //

I SOO think so, too!!
You are so successful at getting Bella to learn tricks, how often do you train?
How long is an average lesson for Bella last?

//I'm thinking of making the trick Isn't this .......... yummy??//
OH duh!! :rolleyes: OF COURSE!!

TiflovesBCs

Experienced Member
//

Yes it does. //

I SOO think so, too!!
You are so successful at getting Bella to learn tricks, how often do you train?
How long is an average lesson for Bella last?

//I'm thinking of making the trick Isn't this .......... yummy??//
OH duh!! :rolleyes: OF COURSE!!
I train nearly every day, she likes toys too (obviously lol) so i do have her go over her tricks whilst playing fetch.
She can have anywhere from 1 to 4 or 5 a day about 5-10 minute lessons.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
//I train nearly every day, //

I suspected as much, :ROFLMAO: with how fast your Bella "gets it" and how often you post yet another new trick, i thought you probably did! KUDOS TO YOU, TIF!
the more i think about it, the more i become convinced, that DAILY lessons, or ALMOST DAILY lessons---------even if short lessons,
seem to really help some dogs increase their ability to learn tricks, imo. Plus, no doubt, the human ALSO is increasing their ability to teach the dog, too.

I kind of think, that if i only trained Buddy once a week, or only a few times per month,

i don't think buddy would be able to learn tricks, no matter WHAT "method" i used....i don't think *my* dog could build upon the last session, nor make much progress,
if Buddy had to wait a week or two between lessons.

I'd probably be posting stuff like, "Help! My dog can't learn tricks" and stuff, if i only trained him a few times per month.