Beginning Vocabulary Lessons

JazzyandVeronica

Honored Member
//aw, lots of dogs are very "soft".
there are lots of dogs, who just can not bear rejection, "no", correction, etc.//

I am learning that. I never had a soft dog before. I haven't had allot of dogs, but the ones I have had have had attitude; and I have secretly liked it.

I had my Basset Hound Frannie for almost 14 years; she was our dog before we got Veronica. I remember one time Fran had done something she wasn't supposed to; and I was verbally scolding her and wagging my finger in her face....and she reached over and bit my finger. Not hard, hard, but she caught a hangnail and drew a little blood.

She didn't get in trouble for that, and I know it was a problem behavior and I shouldn't have had to leave the room so she didn't see me laugh, and that behavior should not have made me laugh....

but I guess I am just used to dogs with a little chutzpah!

Tending to Veronica and all her tender emotions can be...draining sometimes!

But Veronica never in a million, thousand years would ever dream of even trying to bite your finger...so I guess that's a good thing!:)

Dogster

Honored Member
GREAT trick idea, Jazzy!!!!:) Veronica is super smart!!!:D How long did it take for her to understand all 3???

I don't say NO, sometimes I say Ooops! but in a happy tone. I mostly just ignore the behaviour and try again until she does it right.

JazzyandVeronica

Honored Member
It's taken Veronica about 3 - 4 weeks to learn the 3 objects, so...not THAT smart. :p

What I am doing now if she flounders, makes a mistake or gets frustrated is usually asking for a kiss...so she comes over and gives me a smooch and I tell her what a wonderful, smart, incredible dog she is.(y)

// I have two very soft dogs - Ayla and Knoxx and Juni especially out of the pups is showing signs of heading that way...oh the joys of tender hearts!//

High maintance is what they are!! Goes hand in hand with being a little diva!

Evie

Experienced Member
Great idea!

I've been wanting to teach Evie the names of objects, but I just never got around to it :oops:

However she does know what the word 'frisbee' means :rolleyes:

Funniest thing I ever saw was a dog at a dog park who was refusing to come when it was called..... so the owner very quietly said the word 'treat' and all of a sudden her dog was sitting on her feet waiting for its treat....

As for verbally correcting dogs, I TRY not to do it, but some situations require it for her safety (eg. chasing horses). If Evie gets confused, bored or sick or training she lets you know about it lol. She will ignore what ever you say to her and run full speed at you and lick your face to death. If you ask her to do the thing again, the licking starts all over :p

She so cute when she's like that because she gets all 'wiggly' too :p

sara

Staff member
You'll hear me use "No Reward Markers" with Oliver alot. He needs constant feedback when training. this is not a correction (and he doesn't feel it's a correction either) it just means that he needs to do something different. I dont use no or uh uh or anything like that when training a trick. It's usually "Keep going" (if he hasn't gone far enough or long enough) or "again", "more" Sometimes I'll use the negative sounding NRM's when working on a trick he knows, or to get him to calm down and think, but again it's not a correction.

There's alot of controversy (and arguments) over NRM's, some, like Tigerlily, feel that they should never be used, some, like myself, feel they can be/are useful for feedback, some feel they are necessary. I think it depends on the dog. Oliver will just sit and look at me if I dont give him feedback, however Mouse is a different kettle of fish altogether. She will just keep trying and trying over and over again until I click for something. the only feedback she needs is the light (clicker). Every dog is different, and learn at a different rate, and learn by different means.

JazzyandVeronica

Honored Member
NRM's are what I was referring to all along; I guess I wasn't clear....if people were thinking that I was giving a verbal "correction".

My intent has only ever been to give feedback and communication; and I actually think that can be a rather good thing in the learning process.

I have used "uh-uh", but also "try again".

Thing is Veronica gets upset. She wants her treat. She gets frustrated. Her feelings get hurt easily. She wants the treats to come easily...just for looking cute.

I want training to be fun for her. But sometimes I think it is a delicate balance. I want her to...push herself. She is a very smart dog, but she doesn't reach her full potential...because she often doesn't try.

I always kind of thought that "pushing" someone (dog or human) just a little bit to reach their full potential...was a good thing.

I know I have to respect Veronica's feelings; yet at the same time, I don't want to over coddle her. She is a much loved, horribly spoiled (though not ill behaved) dog that gets treated far better than I would guess do 90% of the world's children. She should (I think) be able to suck it up and tolerate "No, sorry that is not correct, please try again" without falling apart.

JazzyandVeronica

Honored Member
Oh...here is an example of Veronica not trying...

If you give her a kong and it is packed too tight and she can't quickly get the treats out...

She brings it to us and drops it in our lap, and whines until we get the treats out for her and hand them to her.