Banned Dog Breeds

kcmetric

....That's a no to Russell then.... :( was that list from a reputable site?
Yes, keep in mind these breeds aren't banned in every county/state. For instance, in Colorado, Pit Bulls are banned in Denver but not elsewhere. As southerngirl mentioned dogs get banned for many reasons, it really just depends on incident rates and problems.

For example, let's say there's a town that has lots of golden retrievers that were bought from puppy mills and they're wreaking havoc because they all have serious genetic problems like ADHD and whatever other combination. With that many poorly bred goldens there's probably a ton of bites so the city council decides to ban them...

As I mentioned previously, some towns have ridiculous rules like requiring dogs to wear diapers outside of their yard.

Dogster

Honored Member
The Labrador Retriever is banned/restricted.... (?!?!??!?!?:eek::eek::()

....So I can only bring half of Shivon.:p

MaryK

Honored Member
Why would you ban a Saint Bernard? The only 'danger' with those dogs is if, like a friend's dog, they think they're Chihuahuas and try to sit on your lap.:LOL::rolleyes::oops: Then of course you may just be suffocated or squashed. Failing that happening, what on earth have they done to be banned in some States? The more I read this list, the worse it becomes, just about every known dog breed is listed.

rouen

Experienced Member
Saints are prone to neurological issues due to poor breeding, similar to cockers. I know someone who had adopted a male that would attack without warning, she spent 2 years with him trying to get him safe but ultimately had him euthanized when he attacked her bad enough that she had to go to the ER. She knew what his usual triggers were(being stepped on was a big one) and she educated herself on body language, but she still never saw warning signs for his attacks. Unlike a 20-30lbs cocker, a saint with neurological issues that result in attacks is a dog that has the capacity to kill you quickly. Not that that qualifies them for BSL, they should make stricter regulations on breeders and choosing breeding stock, that would eliminate or at least reduce the number of dogs being brought into this world that are genetically deficient.

kcmetric

I started a new thread for this, not sure why, I should've just posted it here, haha:

Every year pit bull terriers are responsible for the death of 3 people.

40 children a year drown in 5 gallon water pails, in your lifetime you are 16 times more likely to drown in a 5 gallon water pail than be killed by a pit bull.

Pit bulls were known as the number 1 family dog in the 20th century, but the very same qualities that make this breed such a wonderful pet, are also valued by those who use them as fighting dogs, training them in brutal methods, some even going as far as to sew bottle caps under the dogs skin to ensure they're in constant pain, to make then more aggresive.

150 people a year are killed by falling coconuts, making you 60 times more likely to be killed by a palm tree than by a put bull.

Pit bull puppies, ones that have never fought before are often killed because their parents were fighters, since when did it become guilty until proven innocent?

According to the American Canine Temperament Testing Association, 82.5% of the American Pit Bull Terriers that took the temperament test passed, compared to a 77% passing rate for all breeds on average. In the test a dog is placed in a series of confrontational situations. The first sign of aggression or panic is a failure of the test. Pit Bulls have achieved the fourth highest passing rate of all 122 breeds tested.

It is more than half a million times more likely that a human will kill a pit-bull than the other way around.

For every pit bull that kills, there are 10.5 million that don't.

Most pit bulls are killed by they're owners because they REFUSE TO FIGHT in dogfights.

So millions of pit bulls are being blamed for the actions of .94% of the breed.

Copy and repost this somewhere else if you think the banning/killing of pitbulls is wrong.

MaryK

Honored Member
Saints are prone to neurological issues due to poor breeding, similar to cockers. I know someone who had adopted a male that would attack without warning, she spent 2 years with him trying to get him safe but ultimately had him euthanized when he attacked her bad enough that she had to go to the ER. She knew what his usual triggers were(being stepped on was a big one) and she educated herself on body language, but she still never saw warning signs for his attacks. Unlike a 20-30lbs cocker, a saint with neurological issues that result in attacks is a dog that has the capacity to kill you quickly. Not that that qualifies them for BSL, they should make stricter regulations on breeders and choosing breeding stock, that would eliminate or at least reduce the number of dogs being brought into this world that are genetically deficient.
I can understand about a Saint with neurological issues, but as you say, control the breeders, make the regulations stricter, don't ban the dog it's not their fault!

Thank you, fortunately over here and back home, all the Saints I've met haven't had any problems.

MaryK

Honored Member
KC have just copied/pasted on Ra Kismet's FaceBook page. Thank you, great post!:love:

Not surprised Pit Bulls where higher than average in passing the test, they're wonderful dogs and I would LOVE to have one but they're banned in South Australia:mad:

JazzyandVeronica

Honored Member
I'm new to pit bull ownership. I've had Veronica for 6 years but she is my first.

I have spent allot of time on several pit bull forums and talking to pit bull owners on the internet and in person and there is one point I would stress.

Dog and animal aggression is not human aggression. Some pit bulls do wonderfully with other dogs, cats, rabbits you name it. However, anecdotally from everyone I have talked to over the years that owns the breed - there seems to be a much higher preponderance of generic pit bull type dogs that are dog/animal aggressive. It may be the Terrier in them, terriers are known to be scrappy and according to the AKC definition: "Terriers typically have little tolerance for other animals, including other dogs. Their ancestors were bred to hunt and kill vermin. Many continue to project the attitude that they're always eager for a spirited argument."

It may be decades of only DA dogs being bred that ingrained the DA trait in the gene pool; but it is really there. Maybe some were killed because they wouldn't fight; but most or at least a good majority will give it a go if put in the situation. It's the responsibility of humans to make sure they are never put in the situation, to ensure that all their experiences with other dogs are positive.

Another example of the above is that bully breeds play HARD. Their play is often too much for other dogs; allot of body slamming and wrestling. As you can imagine with that kind of rough play and arousal levels, it can be pretty easy for the switch to flip and for play to turn to aggression. Picture 2 little boys wrestling, one jabs the other in the eye by accident, the other little boy gets angry, retaliates, jabs his play partner in the ribs...next think you know, they're rolling around on the ground in a real fight...

I think part of the problem pit bulls face is people without experience come across a few dog friendly pit bulls and think they are all like that. Then they exercise poor managment, put the dog in a situation where it is set up to fail, something tragic happens, bad publicity for pit bulls and one more person convinced that the breed is bad.

I have read too many stories on the pit bull boards where people leave dogs that "previously loved each other and never had a problem" unattended and came home to a blood bath. People wouldn't think of leaving 2 toddlers home alone together, or an 8 year old to watch a 6 month old sibling... I don't know why just a little extra caution can't be used in keeping dogs safe.

Hope this made some sort of sense...it's late. :confused:

JazzyandVeronica

Honored Member
Southerngirl, you're welcome to a picture of Veronica; is there any sort of theme you want...

looking dignified?
looking dorky?
Christmas elf?
On the Easter Bunny's lap?
Doing smoochies with the only other dog in the entire world that she can stand?

southerngirl

Honored Member
Southerngirl, you're welcome to a picture of Veronica; is there any sort of theme you want...

looking dignified?
looking dorky?
Christmas elf?
On the Easter Bunny's lap?
Doing smoochies with the only other dog in the entire world that she can stand?
Thank you. The theme of the picture doesn't really matter, I just want to show how sweet and amazing Pit breeds are.

MaryK

Honored Member
I loved the vid of Veronica eating her greens, so dainty and so sweet. Realize though Southerngirl you probably cannot use that in your speech. Veronica has such a sweet face, she'll win hearts over to Pitties:love:

southerngirl

Honored Member
Here's my speech, I hope you guys like it:) I had to copy it because it wouldn't let me attach the file. Feel free to give me your opinion it'll help me improve my writing. I had to give this speech in front of the classroom I'm horribly shy when it comes to people I don't know so I was shaking(I really hate talking in front of people it's torcher:mad:). Thanks for your helpful links, pictures and suggestions.

Danielle Evans
Watkins
JR. America Language Arts
10/9/12
Stop Banning Dog Breeds
Is it okay to ban a certain breed of dog? Would you be okay if a certain ethnic group of people where banned? For me the answer is no. Whether it is dog or person, no one has the right to classify them as vicious, and mean. “Pit Bull” breeds are the most commonly banned breed, because they are so called vicious and a danger to the public. Yes, when they bite it causes more damage than a Chihuahua. Does that mean that all “Pit Bull” breeds are vicious? Ask an owner of a “Pit Bull”, Rottweiler, German Shepherds, or any other banned breed. Try telling a little kid that their best friend is vicious, the one that lets them tug on their ears, fall asleep on them, the one that alerts their parents that they’re having a seizure. I’m sure that a good bit of those owners will tell you their dogs are sweet as can be; well they might lick you to death. Watch out you wouldn't want that to happen!

To protect the public from these so called vicious dogs some Countries, States, and cities have banned or restricted certain breeds of dogs. It’s called Breed Specific Legislation also known as BSL. A banned breed usually requires that all dogs of a certain appearance to be removed from the area that it has been banned. After it is put in place dogs that are identified as banned breeds are killed, a few lucky ones are relocated. Banned breeds that are grandfathered in are allowed to stay, but have restrictions. Some of the restrictions are muzzle the dog, Spay/Neuter, make the dog wear a vicious dog tag. If you own one of these beautiful dogs you’ll have to look into their begging eyes as you muzzle them so they can go on a walk, you’ll watch as their wagging tail drops when a parent pulls away there kid who is petting them. They don’t understand why no one pets them anymore, why they have to wear and muzzle.

BSL is supposed to reduce the number of injures to people from “vicious” breeds. Does it? In the United Kingdom BSL was put in place in 1991. In 2008 it was reported that the number of people hospitalized for dog attacks increased by 50%! Yes, 50% more people were hospitalized after BSL was put in place. Obviously banning a certain breed does not “protect the public”! In the U.S. in 2011 71% of people were fatally attacked by a “Pit Bull” breed, 13% by Rottweiler’s. Once again this is after BSL was put in place in some cities and states.

“Punish the deed, not the breed” ~Unknown~ I’m not saying there aren’t vicious “Pit Bulls”, German Shepherds, or Rottweilers. I know there are, but the majority of them are owned by irresponsible people. I say educate parents about safety with family pets and not leaving their children alone with them. Children need to be taught not to tease animals, approach them without permission, and stay away from fenced or chained animals. Owners need to be taught to socialize and train their dogs, and that under no circumstances should a dog be roaming the neighborhood. There is a leash law! If we the public work together we can make our children, our communities a safe place by educating the public on safety around dogs, and writing laws that will hold owners responsible for their animals actions, not the dog.

MaryK

Honored Member
Fabulous Speech APPLAUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!(y):love: You wrote from the heart, with passion and it shows through. Vid was fantastic especially as you were only allowed 30 seconds. Recognized a certain PB there:love:
Structure was great too, beginning, middle and end. Well written! You have only a few seconds to grab your audiences attention, your opening would get their immediate attention.

May I post this on Ra Kismet's FaceBook Page? Together with vid?

southerngirl

Honored Member
Fabulous Speech APPLAUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!(y):love: You wrote from the heart, with passion and it shows through. Vid was fantastic especially as you were only allowed 30 seconds. Recognized a certain PB there:love:
Structure was great too, beginning, middle and end. Well written! You have only a few seconds to grab your audiences attention, your opening would get their immediate attention.

May I post this on Ra Kismet's FaceBook Page? Together with vid?
Yes, you can and thank you.:D