Balance Ball Training

fickla

Experienced Member
I am very excited as 2 balance balls (65cm) I ordered arrived today! However, I'm not entirely sure what I want to do with them. Has anyone here ever used balance balls in training to help with muscle strength and stability in their dogs?

Right now I'm just having both dogs learn to jump onto the ball, stand, sit, lie down, and starting to beg. Any other ideas?

CollieMan

Experienced Member
Yep, I have a 75cm one that I use for Ellie.

You can get them to place their front paws on it and walk around it, or both paws on it and get them to walk the ball along while standing on their rear legs.

The ball is great for building a dog's physical confidence.

xsara

We use it, it helped us to regain Xsara's muscles after she was sick and couldn't train for months. It's incredible how much the muscles work no matter what the dog does on the ball. We also did left/right turns (circles) on the ball and in the beginning when she really had no muscles I just had her relaxed with a chewie on the ball and I moved it left and right or back and forward with one hand, very equally of course. I also did the handstand and had her walk on her front legs while relaxing her rear legs on the ball. And I always give her warm up and cool down massages when I use the ball - no matter how easy it looks, muscles still need to work a lot on the ball. I am very happy with the results so far, it's very nice to feel some muscles instead of only bones!! She is almost as strong as she used to be before her illness :)

fickla

Experienced Member
ooh those are good ideas too! and thanks for the advice about the massages, I wouldn't have thought about that. I'm excited to hear that you liked the ball so much

CollieMan

Experienced Member
P.S. I stole the idea of the ball from xsara. :) Come to think of it, I steal most of my trick ideas from her too! :)

<Waves to xsara>

xsara

I have a DVD but haven't had the time to watch it yet. When I find some time, I'll watch it and write if there are any other excercises and pieces of advice in it:dogwink:

xsara

CollieMan;17596 said:
P.S. I stole the idea of the ball from xsara. :) Come to think of it, I steal most of my trick ideas from her too! :)

<Waves to xsara>
No problem, I steal many of them from Silvia anyway:msngiggle:

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Speaking of which--does anyone have any particular recommendations as to what TYPE of ball to use? I have several regular old exercise balls, but there's millions of different kinds...is any one ball better than another for this purpose?

CollieMan

Experienced Member
tx_cowgirl;17610 said:
Speaking of which--does anyone have any particular recommendations as to what TYPE of ball to use? I have several regular old exercise balls, but there's millions of different kinds...is any one ball better than another for this purpose?
I just use an RBK Exercise ball. It seems fine for the purpose.

marieke

fickla;17612 said:
Wow, that video was interesting. I have never heard of treibball before!
The trainers at the dogschool where I train with Guus are learning it. They went to Switzerland for workshops because there it's already quite a serious sport. Eventually
they will be teaching it too. Looks pretty cool huh?