Are You Shy?

Jess99

I started teaching Jess "are you shy" today and she caught on so quickly! :D (this is a video after 5 minutes into her first session of 'shy')
Using the halti seemed to work really well! and she actually had to actually think about what she was doing (once the halti was off) rather than just being lured :):love:

MaryK

Honored Member
Wow!!!!!!!!! That's AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm impressed!!!!!!!!!(y) Jess really has caught on quickly and she looks so cute!!:love:

I'm still trying with shy with Ra Kismet. He wears a Halti, so that one won't work:(

MaryK

Honored Member
I'm having issues with duration too... I've got to spend more time on that trick :)
Wish my issues were just duration, I'm STILL trying to get Ra Kismet to do this trick.:( So far nothing has worked, will just have to try harder I guess.:)

k9 crazed

Experienced Member
I was just reading about this trick in a couple of books and found a couple tips- it's not much but maybe it could help someone. Try a thread or light string over the nose and experiment with where to place it. And encourage your dog to go for the thing on his nose use touch and/or voice to get him excited, or cue him shake hands.

MaryK

Honored Member
Thank you K9 Crazed, will try that, I'll try anything that doesn't harm my boy, I do so want him to do Shy, cuz LOL he's anything but shy!

sara

Staff member
I have no idea why my deaf dog Scout got it in one session, (and she held it too) and the rest of the dogs I've taught it too can't seem to figure out how to hold it!

Dogster

Honored Member
For the members who's dogs can't hold "shy"...

My hand signal for Shivon's "shy" was putting my finger on my nose. When I hold my finger on my nose for longer, Shivon does "shy" with duration. Maybe this could work...

Anneke

Honored Member
That is great!! My dogs just can't seem to do this while sitting:rolleyes: I have them lie down and Jinx has it now. I'm working on duration now and that's just a matter of training it more.
Cooper on the other hand is still having trouble. He knows what to do, but somehow he gets mixed up. He puts his nose on top of his paw, instead of his paw on his nose:ROFLMAO: He has to try a few times and then gets it. But he doesn't make much progress. Ah well, as long as we're having fun training it.:p

sara

Staff member
For the members who's dogs can't hold "shy"...

My hand signal for Shivon's "shy" was putting my finger on my nose. When I hold my finger on my nose for longer, Shivon does "shy" with duration. Maybe this could work...
You got that one from me, didn't you? LOL That's my dogs' sign too... worked for Scout.... Mouse, Boo and Ollie don't get it LOL

Dogster

Honored Member
You got that one from me, didn't you? LOL That's my dogs' sign too... worked for Scout.... Mouse, Boo and Ollie don't get it LOL
LOL, I had no idea!!:p So I guess only a couple of dogs will get it with that hand signal...