Are you a first time dog owner?

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
I have been eager to create a poll for this question:

Are you a first time dog owner?

If you are a new dog owner, you can elaborate on what kind of dog you have and what motivated you to get a dog.

If not, then you can elaborate on how many dogs you've had in the past, or your current dog! :dogbiggrin:

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
My first dog was my Siberian Husky, she been my toughest challenge in learning how to train dogs and how to live and understand dogs. Some say it's better to start off with a hard dog so that you learn more. I find that statement true as it was a lot easier to train my Border Collie, although they are different breeds and temperament.

:)

hockey390

I am a first time dog owner. I am only 22 years old, so I've had multiple dogs in my family my whole life. We used to bread cavaliers, so raising a puppy was nothing new to me. My dad had a Golden Retriever that was the best dog I've ever been around, and I considered the dog to be mine because I took care of it and spent every second I was around my dads house with the dog. From that day on I knew I would always be a Golden Retriever owner.. I always wanted a dog of my own, and once I got an income that was steady enough to support one, and myself, I went looking =)
Now I have my beloved Emma. 7 Month old Golden Retriever Girl :dogwub::msnhugegrin:

l_l_a

I'm not a first time dog owner, but my present dog represents a "first" in many regards for me. He's the first dog I've owned that has had aggression issues, for example. Because of that as well as other unrelated things, many aspects of the way I live with him is also different from how I lived with my previous dogs.

leema

I don't understand the question. :/ I'm not a first time dog owner for Clover, but I am for Mac... ??

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
leema;5350 said:
I don't understand the question. :/ I'm not a first time dog owner for Clover, but I am for Mac... ??
A first time owner is somebody who has never owned a dog before, so if you've had a dog in the past then you are not.

leema

I didn't own a dog before Mac.
I did own a dog before Clover.

So I "never had a dog before"... When?

E

emmasmamma

I had a toy poodle as a child and one just prior to Emma.

hockey390

leema;5353 said:
I didn't own a dog before Mac.
I did own a dog before Clover.

So I "never had a dog before"... When?
I'm assuming you got Mac and then got Clover.. I would say you are not a first time owner. But If you got them at the same time then I would say you are.

szecsuani

Experienced Member
I'm a first time dog owner.
I'm 15 now, and I've been nagging my parents to get a dog since I can talk.
I'm just so in love with dogs, that I can't imagine my life without them.

She is my own dog afterall, becouse my parents won't do anything with her. They say that I wanted her, so I will take care of her.

I think I will become a crazy old women, with at least 8 dogs in my house....:dogbiggrin:

morgancherilyn

Szecsuani: You are an amazing young lady! Most teens can't be nagged into taking the dog out to do its business or to feed it. I just watched the video and you have really put some effort into training Pami. That dog loves you! It shows. I'm going to work hard and see if I can't get my Coco as well trained. How long have you been working with her?

l_l_a

I agree with Morgancherilyn; Szecsuani you are a remarkable young lady! I can't believe you're only 15, that's so amazing, most teenagers wouldn't have that level of commitment! Pami is your first dog yet from your videos you look like you have been handling dogs for some time. clearly you are devoted to her and her training. And if you do grow up to become a "crazy old dog woman", well, those of us who are already in that state will welcome you into the club! :)

szecsuani

Experienced Member
Szecsuani: You are an amazing young lady! Most teens can't be nagged into taking the dog out to do its business or to feed it. I just watched the video and you have really put some effort into training Pami. That dog loves you! It shows. I'm going to work hard and see if I can't get my Coco as well trained. How long have you been working with her?
Thank you very much! :)
I have been training her since July 2007, when we adopted her.

I agree with Morgancherilyn; Szecsuani you are a remarkable young lady! I can't believe you're only 15, that's so amazing, most teenagers wouldn't have that level of commitment! Pami is your first dog yet from your videos you look like you have been handling dogs for some time. clearly you are devoted to her and her training. And if you do grow up to become a "crazy old dog woman", well, those of us who are already in that state will welcome you into the club!
:D Thank you!
I'm looking forward to joining the club! :msngiggle:

daisy

I've had dogs all of my adult life. They were and are beloved members of my family. I cannot imagine not having a dog in my life and I think I have learned much more from them than I have ever taught them. The newest member of my dog family has been a little more challenging because she is very timid and shy. She is 16 mos. old now and is getting much better...she at least doesn't cower and shake when she meets a stranger. She still not big on strangers petting her but is content to stay sitting by my side.:msnrolleyes:

CollieMan

Experienced Member
I'd just like to echo what others have already said, Szecsuani, before I forget...

Training a dog is one thing, and, in reality, it's relatively easy. Getting the dog to wag its tail, and voluntarily watch you, and stick to you like glue while training, that's the really challenging part.

You've achieved that, and in quite a short time. I think you could have a great future with dogs, if that is what you chose to do.

I for one will be eagerly waiting for more videos. :)

szecsuani

Experienced Member
CollieMan;5471 said:
I'd just like to echo what others have already said, Szecsuani, before I forget...

Training a dog is one thing, and, in reality, it's relatively easy. Getting the dog to wag its tail, and voluntarily watch you, and stick to you like glue while training, that's the really challenging part.

You've achieved that, and in quite a short time. I think you could have a great future with dogs, if that is what you chose to do.

I for one will be eagerly waiting for more videos. :)
:)
I'm really touched that you think that this is a such a good thing. Thank you very much!

luna may

Well, Szecsuani, they stole my words. Really, really, really well done!
I nagged my parents for a dog forever too, lol... :D
I got my first dog when I was nine, and started training her a year later. Nustalgia... :doghappy:

E

emmasmamma

What more could I add, Szecsuani, except that Pami is one lucky dog!:dogtongue2: