Are Some Tricks Over-stimulating?

srdogtrainer

Experienced Member
If you don't have someone to tape for you, I usually set it on a low table like a coffee table and angle it a little forward on something. Then I look to see in the camera how much of the room it is capturing and where I need to be. If I need to I use a prop to make sure it is in the view finder. They also have these little claw tripod things that you can use to hold up a digital camera. Have fun! If you want to send me videos I will be glad to look at them for you, but only if you want me to.

blacknym

Experienced Member
I think srdogtrainer got it. LOL. I usually do my filming with my ipad...i set it up in its base and angle it how i need it. :nods:

If you like and are comfortable...I'll send you my email. :)

Maggi

VIP Silver Member
Thanks, both of you. I will try to do some filming this week, and let you know how it goes!
Hi Brody's Mum, I hope you manage to get some video, even if you don't feel like sharing it, I find it useful to be able to look at what I'm doing with Solas so that I can make adjustments. But I hope you're able to share it with the members who've offered to watch it! ;) I'm not sure if this would work with the weave nipping or not, but if Brody works for a toy, could you use the toy as a lure, then you could let him have it for a play as the reward, which might direct his teeth towards the toy rather than your leg! Sounds a bit painful! :(

brody_smom

Experienced Member
Hi Brody's Mum, I hope you manage to get some video, even if you don't feel like sharing it, I find it useful to be able to look at what I'm doing with Solas so that I can make adjustments. But I hope you're able to share it with the members who've offered to watch it! ;) I'm not sure if this would work with the weave nipping or not, but if Brody works for a toy, could you use the toy as a lure, then you could let him have it for a play as the reward, which might direct his teeth towards the toy rather than your leg! Sounds a bit painful! :(
I'm not sure how to interpret his reaction to this trick (figure 8s through my legs)! He does it quicker than anything else I've taught him, but he seems a little stressed(?) by it rather than eager or excited. He makes a sound which he only ever makes when he's frustrated, like when he wants to bark, but has been told to stop. I want to be sure that the tricks he's learning are fun for him, not stressful. He has stopped nipping, but I can only ask him to do one pass and then get him to sit for his treat. I don't need to lure him with anything but my closed fingers behind my legs. I was hoping to get him to weave through my legs, but I guess I'll have to wait a bit for that. I am thinking of doing some agility with him, but if he won't enjoy it, I'll have to find another outlet for his energy, especially since fetch isn't really his thing either. Someone suggested lure coursing.

I do have trouble getting him to an ideal zone for training. He's not the typical hyper Border Collie, but because of his tendency to mouthiness and jumping up, I don't want him too excited. On the other hand, if he's not excited enough, when I ask him for a down, he will settle into a relaxed down (legs out to the side, rather than tucked under), which makes it harder to lure or shape other behaviors. I was trying to use a mat for targeting, but since he has learned to go to his mat and settle, he thinks that's what I want when I put a mat down for him to sit on.

Dlilly

Honored Member
My Kelpie gets nippy when I'm teaching him a trick and he gets confused or frustrated. Maybe Brody is getting frustrated (My question mark key doesn't work)

If you show us a video we could really help you out. You can just borrow a friend's camera, cell phone, or buy a video camera online, there are plenty of cheap ones out there. You can have the camera set up with her head being out of the shot if you'd like.

I'm also very camera shy, I have trouble with talking to the camera. I understand how uncomfortable it is…. But your dog needs you to conquer your 'fear'!

MaryK

Honored Member
Ra Kismet gets very excited with any tricks which involve 'high energy' levels, like jump through hoops etc. If he become over excited, I just ask for sit or drop and do a 'calming' trick. Or give him a break with a play session before resuming training, he'd train all day if I had the time! Also with the nips, don't click or treat if Brody nips you at the end of a trick.

With the video, you can always film from your waist down:) I hate having my photo taken or a vid. but for the dog's I've taken a deep breath and LOL try to get my partner to just vid the dogs not me!

saimgee123

Yes i agree with you.A large number of dogs are vocal and i don't like the vocalizing so any good trick to change it.

brody_smom

Experienced Member
My Kelpie gets nippy when I'm teaching him a trick and he gets confused or frustrated. Maybe Brody is getting frustrated (My question mark key doesn't work)
He's not confused, he actually does the trick really well. I don't ask him for it very often, because I don't want to stress him out, but he offered it to me the other day without a prompt. I was just standing in the kitchen with some new treats in my hand. I guess my legs were slightly farther apart than what I would normally have them, but he did his usual little bark and growl, then whipped through my legs so quickly. I'm just not sure what his emotion is, because he always does the trick very quickly once I prompt him. Sometimes I just have to say "figure 8s?", and he gets all excited and goes right to it. Occasionally I need to just hold my fingers together behind my open legs as a prompt to get him going, but he always does it really quickly. He doesn't nip at me anymore, but he always barks/growls.