Apparently, you can train a dog to shiver!

C

clcourtn

When I was a kid at my parents' house, I had a collie/shepard mix who stayed outdoors. Occasionally, he would come to the backdoor, look in, and shiver. I couldn't stand seeing him like that, so I would sneak him inside while saying, "Awe, Comet, are you cold? Comet, are you cold?" He was still shivering when I would say that. After a few years of that, every time I said, "Are you cold?", he would start shivering! It's funny what they can learn to do! This is definitely not something I want to teach my little chihuahua, though. The last thing they need is more shivering!:dogbiggrin:

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
Hehehe, you can do that with sneezing, yawning or anything your dog does. It's kinda cool :)

niki

That is so cute! Since it gets cold really cold from time to time in the winter where I live, so I will try this and see if I can get my dog to do it! I never thought of the yawning thing either...she does that to let me know when she is bored, so maybe I can get her to do it on que too! I'll probably need lots of good idea's during the winter to keep us busy!

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
Yawning works, I've trained it with my dog. You just have to sit there with a bunch of treats in your hands, and wait for your dog to lie down and yawn. Click everytime he yawns and throw him a treat. After only a few sessions mine started yawning more and more, and now she knows what earns her a treat :)

szecsuani

Experienced Member
My dog never barks, or yawns... Only if she has a really good reason, wich means that she "shouts" at other dogs...

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
She doesn't yawn when she wakes up? Or when she is tired? I think you should watch her more carefully! :)

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
No not really, try it yourself! Grab a bunch of treats in your hand, sit down on your couch and wait for your dog to try and do stuff for it, just sit there quietly, he will most likely lie down, and yawn. Click the moment he yawns and throw him a treat.

The more often you do this, the quicker and the more often he will yawn.

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
After you've done it for a while, you will start to see what your dog does before he yawns.

You can say Yawn just before he does it, then click and feed.

Or say your Yawn right after your click.

After a lot of repetitions, you will be able to say "Yawn" and your dog will yawn. I know it sounds strange but it works!