Apollo The Standard Poodle

chipup1313

Apollo is a 4 year old Standard Poodle. He has been a certified Therapy dog for 2 years and has just started training in Rally Obedience.
Apollo is my constant companion. Last summer I left him at home with my roommate and all of his buddies when I went to a reunion. (The hotel did not allow dogs). We were gone two days and he stopped eating, and was totally depressed. It took over a week to get him back to his old self. So needless to say if Apollo can't come neither can I.
While doing our theray I started trying to teach Apollo some tricks to get smiles from the people we visit. The favorite of most clients is for him to say his prayers. We also go to several school functions so I have taught him to do a fire prevention routine. When I tell him his therapy vesr is on fire he wil stop drop and roll over. Although some times he will just stay on his back with all paws in the air and grin.
He will also crawl acros the room because of the smoke in the room.
One of visits consists of a mini agility course where the clients can to the agility course with the therapy dogs. Apollo usually knocks the jumps off the stand because they are so low for the small dogs. But he loves the tunnell and tire jump.
In December we started taking Rally Obedience classes. He is doing very well in these and already gotten his Rally novice titles in AKC and ASCA. But I think we need to concentrate more before we go off lead. He gets a big laugh when he has to do a down and rolls over on his back.012.JPG100.JPG 229234_4213742534137_558259140_n.jpg58761_4213750694341_1509539660_n.jpg

southerngirl

Honored Member
Apollo sounds like a great dog and he is a handsome boy. I have the same problem with my dog getting depressed when I go on vacation it makes it hard to leave. I love the stop and roll over trick it sounds cute.:love:

MaryK

Honored Member
Apollo is a very handsome boy!!!!!!!!!:love: He sounds absolutely delightful, bet he's a real hit with everyone he meets.

My younger boy, Ra Kismet, will not 'speak' to me if I have to leave him, despite being home with his daddy, so I'm like you if the boys cannot go neither will I.

jeanniecogan

Mike told me the other day that when i went to the store both Bonnie and Maddie sat on my chair and looked at the door the whole time i was gone. We usually take them everywhere.

Pawbla

Experienced Member
Aww. You dog is gorgeous. His fire prevention routine seems very cute, I want a video!

My dog is a bit like yours, he follows me around and we go almost everywhere together. But I travel a lot and I always leave him with my friends. He adores them so he doesn't get that sad, but I don't like the part when I have to leave and he looks me with his puppy eyes and you imagine the "why am I not coming?". I want to get a car so I can travel with him :( but it's not a viable option right now.

JazzyandVeronica

Honored Member
What a handsome boy!!! Sounds like he is quite accomplished!

I wouldn't know about having a dog so absolutely devoted to me...Veronica is a love slut and I swear would go off with a complete stranger without a backwards glance :confused:. Is it wrong that I would want her to make herself just a little bit sick at the thought of not being with me? :oops:

chipup1313

Aww. You dog is gorgeous. His fire prevention routine seems very cute, I want a video!

My dog is a bit like yours, he follows me around and we go almost everywhere together. But I travel a lot and I always leave him with my friends. He adores them so he doesn't get that sad, but I don't like the part when I have to leave and he looks me with his puppy eyes and you imagine the "why am I not coming?". I want to get a car so I can travel with him :( but it's not a viable option right now.

k9 crazed

Experienced Member
Nice! I used to have a rescued Standard Poodle he was also a certified tharapy dog. The thing that the kids loved best that he did was pull them for rides in a wagon.

chipup1313

Nice! I used to have a rescued Standard Poodle he was also a certified tharapy dog. The thing that the kids loved best that he did was pull them for rides in a wagon.
I love the idea of pulling a wagon. I may have to work on getting a cart and harness for APollo. I'm sure we could put it to good use(y)

blacknym

Experienced Member
What a great team you make! When i first got Deja i wanted to work towards getting her therapy dog certified but she does not have that love of people a therapy dog needs. Maybe my next dog. LOL So congrats on that because that is a huge accomplishment. :)

We are working towards rally o and hope to have some fun with that. :)

srdogtrainer

Experienced Member
Apollo sounds amazing! He seems like a big goof ball who loves to get laughs! I think that is a poodle trait.

My dog loves APDT Rally, because they allow food in the ring. He has taken agility classes but he is pretty mellow and gets tired out quickly.