Anyone know about dog boots or shoes?

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
It's now minus 32 with the wind chill here!! EEEK! And tons of snow, too.
Anyone use dog boots? I was thinking of getting some, poor Buddy, he was kinda prancing like he didn't want his feet to hit the road, which was plowed, but still covered with shallow snow over the cement. (buddy demands walks to poop, he will NOT poop in our yard, so he does get at least two walks a day, but in this weather, we are keeping walks to 20 min. max)

Anything to look for in purchasing dog boots? I've never used these before.
Anyone know a specific brand they liked or hated?
Snooks you mentioned your dogs use boots, what kind did you use?
THANKS!!

CollieMan

Experienced Member
I'm not a dog boot kinda guy, but there are serious problems that can be caused by your dog's paws being exposed to the cold and the snow.

It is recommended that you wash the dogs paws in warm water after a walk, and then rub Vaseline (petroleum jelly) on the pads to help prevent cracking and soreness. (Apply before a walk too, to provide a film of protection.)

Also make sure the claws are well clipped as longer claws causes the dogs 'toes' to seperate, which, in turn, can trap ice and salt (salt is regularly used to help melt snow on pavements and roads) between them, and it's really painful for the dog.

For those who do go into the whole boot thing, I'm told that these neoprene boots and shoes are good, and these.

Hope that helps.

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Mud wears boots from time to time because her paw pads are extremely dry---I keep paw pad conditioner on them, which works wonders. After applying she'll wear the boots for a little while and when she goes outside. I have a heck of a time keeping them conditioned enough to not tear and crack. We're so active it's important her paw pads are in good shape. :)

I prefer going to hunting/camping equipment stores. Those boots are much more durable and stay on better than most pet store boots. If this is the route you choose, make sure you get some with straps or some means of fastening...I've seen some that just slip on, but they suck. Lol. My town's Gander Mountain recently got in a great set of boots that I LOOOVE and I want to get some. They are very well made but much cheaper than Mukluks and the like. I'm sure you could order them off their website if you don't mind them being camo. They're the best boots I've found around here. Of course, in Texas dog boots aren't in high demand anyway so they aren't sold much.

Hmm...haven't thought of the Vaseline CM. We've used it on horse hooves but not on paw pads...good idea!

Hope this helps.

stormi

There are some really good boots available here that are like a trainer (sneaker), unfortunately I gave the paperwork away to my friend and can't recall the name...they are similar to what collieman posted though. I was told some search and rescue dogs use them.

Tx_cowgirl I've found vaseline can really help a dogs paws. I've found best results after a bath, like collieman recommends. I tend to use a paw wax before a walk (e.g. on very cold pavement) rather than vaseline though as it's supposed to help with grip.

snooks

Experienced Member
When dogs are picking their feet up its most likely too cold as you suggest. I tried muttlucks but both dogs hated them b/c the ankle part is very tight like a turtle neck and pushed the fur backward in getting them on. I just ordered these http://www.ruffwear.com/Barkn-Boots-Grip-Trex?sc=2&category=11# after trying some loser cheaper leather bottom ones which only lasted through 3 wearings. You could find cheaper I'm sure. I got them b/c of the meshy loser top.

The biggest thing in comfort seemed for my dogs to be ample room for the paw to expand when weight is place on it. Having a lower sole or sides is more comfy since their feet move inside a bit. Having contrictive sides seemed to be less comfy to my dogs. Also having a tread on the bottom that will grip on the terrain if it's icy or snowy is important. The cheap leather bottom ones were kind of freaky for my dog that slid on the deck with them. After a while I looked out and she was sliding on purpose. :doglaugh: That obv wouldn't be good on a walk though.

When you measure be sure weight is on the paw so that it's fully expanded to get the best comfort. Too low a top and not properly fitted and snow can get in, too high and it feels weird and is easier to get too tight. So base it on how much snow you have. Most mushers use lower rise boots I notice in Alaska and I assume it's b/c of the higher rise boots potential for circulation problems or movement. I think only one or two musher on the Iditarod had problems with snow in the boots this year. It was pretty warm though so wetter ~15 F on the warmer days.

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Hmm good to know Stormi. Thanks!

Lots of boot suggestions here Tigerlily, you should be able to find one that suits the both of you. ^^

bellapup

I have the opposite problem...living here in the desert, Bella's paws are subjected to extremely hot asphalt and concrete and also has a hard time going potty when she's trying hard to get her feet back on something somewhat cooler.

I've been looking at some boots so that I can walk her longer in the extreme heat. Sometimes it can get to about 120 degrees out, which means the ground is hotter. You can literally fry an egg on the sidewalk.

I had other owners tell me about bad pad blisters or burns...

I also heard that most boots only last one season...which means I'll be buying $60 boots every time. That's quite a big expense if that's true. Any info on which brand is more long lasting if there are any? Bella seems to like the lower ones a bit better...although it was quite amusing seeing her hop around like a bunny the first time I tried them out on her. *LOL*

snooks

Experienced Member
Have you looked at the hiking and trail sites like Patagonia and the technical trail sites. Most of this equipment is meant for rugged season after season wear and is made with super materials that breathe and are protective. Just like a human trail boot though very tough and meant to last they only have so many miles on them. It's sort of a given that a trail shoe only has so many miles in it and you pay for the protection versus the light weight.

The older human trail boots that had vibram soles and lasted forever have been banned on a lot of trails b/c they cause damage to fragile ecosystems. The reason is they are so tough. They do still use vibram in doggie boots though and this stuff is very rugged and would be ideal for asphalt. It also sounds like they drain and ventilate well. I also like backcountry.com's site and found Ruffwear's boots there on sale. I have not tried the boots but I LOVE everything else I've tried from Ruffwear from leashes to gear bags to collars.
http://www.backcountry.com/store/RUF0038/Ruffwear-Barkn-Boots-Grip-Trex-Set-of-4.html

There's a nice objective review of the boots by a backpacker http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Animal Companion Gear/Dog Wear/Ruff Wear Barkn Boots/Test Report by James E. Triplett/
http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Animal Companion Gear/Dog Wear/Ruff Wear Barkn Boots/Test Report by Chuck Carnes/

A terrain chart for another boot type http://www.youractivepet.com/boot_compare.htm
The only thing about asphalt is that distance without a solid sole will wear the boot through fast. The solid sole is more rigid hence a little less comfy maybe if the fit is not right.

If you're using them for walks on asphalt and such consider the number of miles and observe wear. If you're just using them for casual walks they won't wear as fast if you buy a quality boot. If you're logging some miles then they will.

I would also carefully observe my dog for overheating if wearing a boot since they cool with their paws. Since I don't know how a dog reacts to boots in a hot climate, it may make over heating harder or easier. Just keep an eye out. I googled dog hiking and trail boot test review and found a lot of tested boots. If you mine through the doggie hiking clubs the brands and review are abundant. It looks like you could get a good boot for $30 that might not last nearly as long as a vibram sole for $50-60. Vibram also does not transmit heat as the other rubber or pliable (rubber) sole boots will. This seems most crucial to you.

When measuring paws be sure full weight is on the paw so it is fully expanded-pick up the opposite paw if needed and generally measure paws 1,2,3,4 three times and average each paw's independent measurements is the most accurate way to measure dogs for anything.
Hope this helps. :dogwink:

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Well, you know, i never did get Buddy those boots last year, just too broke, so i just shortened the walks instead.

Now i am fixing to order some. Anyone have any new input? I read carefully the reviews you posted, Snooks, very helpful. I have to check about where Buddy's dew claw is...wonder if the high-top style is better or worse for preventing dew claw irritation?
Tx, the Gander boot you said you wanted to try has got kinda bad reviews by consumers, did you ever get them? HOw'd they work out?

I'm thinking of getting the ulra paws durable boots: (same as snooks posted, different site though..)
Ultra Paws Dog Boots, Dog Shoes, Boots for Dogs, Dog Booties, Durable, Rugged, Traction
ONe of the consumer reviews on that one said these are great for keeping dog paws clean, she said she takes her dogs to her work and she puts them on her dogs between the car and her work so when she gets inside, her dogs feet are clean. clever, i thought.

or the pair that CollieMan posted. Their sizing chart is really nice, too. OH wow, wait, that is $26 for only two boots? ohhh. Well the second link he sent has some too, though....

(where'd CollieMan ever go? never see him around here lately!)

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
No, never did buy them. I liked the design better than some others I'd had, but guess it's back to the drawing board! Thanks for the news on those.

I haven't been looking for boots lately, really, but I need to. Will have to check out the ones you looked at.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Yeah, Tx Cowgirl, i too, LOVED the design on those boots, and was stunned when i read the customer reviews, i really was...

but, on the other hand, sometimes i wonder on the sites with all good reviews, do they delete bad reviews? Do all the employees get a bonus if they just type some good reviews in? who knows?

yeah, i'm back to the drawing board, too...it IS overwhelming, so many kinds of them....really. If these were cheap items, (some are not!) i wouldn't worry if i made wrong pick.

...so far, i know i want RUBBERY bottoms, and a strap. I'd prefer a hi-top style, cuz of the dew claw thing that Snook's review mentioned. If i wasn't so poor, i probably wouldn't study it up as much, ha ha!!
........i'm thinking dog boots would be hard to return, too, hee hee!!

ilovemydog

i use doggie boots for my chihuahua. At first she didnt like them but now she wears them. They are warm. Try not to get a velcro couse the more you use the boots the more the velcro wont stick. Thats the problem i have with one of her boots she lost it in the snow. Now that the snow melted i found it lol (montreal)

ailhibbard

We help you choose and shop for you dog needs. Everything under the moon for your dog is here. Visit us we are happy to serve and help you with your needs.

curry

We got the Ruffwear Bark'n'Boots and they are perfect if you need "hard" shoes with grip. Luna had to wear them when one of her paws was injured and infected.

Jukes

I bought Jukes Ruffwear Bark'n Boots Polar Trex. They have a really hard grip and they're designed for the ice so they have a good grip. They're quite long which is good because I can strap them on tightly and so far they haven't come off, (we haven't used them in any deep snow yet, just shallow snow and ice covered pavements - they have worked really well for this)
http://www.backcountry.com/ruffwear-barkn-boots-polar-trex-set-of-4

(I didn't buy them from this site, I just can't remember where I bought them)

mcgarry

I am a new member in forum. Not expert about dog shoes. I always prefer the leather shoes, which is more comfortable from any other shoe. But I must say, shoes wearing is not enough, we have to care about it. I mean to say how can we maintain our shoes. For that reason, we have to know about the best shoe care materials.