Anyone Else An Eldad Fan?

rouen

Experienced Member
Just curious if anyone else was an Eldad follower?
If you've never heard of him, he lives in California but travels around mostly the south west to help catch dogs that have been dumped in places they shouldn't be.
He has also saved dogs from kill shelters that would have no chance at all at being adopted(fear aggressive).

Adrianna & Calvin

Experienced Member
I saw his blind dog video some time ago but didn't know that he had a thing for catching strays. I looked at a few more videos when I saw this thread, and I think the work he does is great. I have to say, I'm surprised at some of the basic, less-than-ideal handling he does, like reaching over the head all the time. Universally dogs don't like having the top of the head touched, and he does it over and over and the dogs all cower, not a one of them is receptive, but he's got a habit of it I guess.

Great work, though, it is very hard to catch street-savvy dogs!

rouen

Experienced Member
Adrianna & Calvin, even though he does reach over the dogs he's still able to catch dogs that other people can't even touch. Some dogs do give him a run for his money though.

MaryK

Honored Member
No but I'm a huge fan now! Even though he does come over their heads, I honestly think the dogs know he means it all with love.

MaryK

Honored Member
I embedded the vids on Ra Kismet's FaceBook page. Think I screwed up though as the coding is showing UGH!

Adrianna & Calvin

Experienced Member
No but I'm a huge fan now! Even though he does come over their heads, I honestly think the dogs know he means it all with love.
I commented about it just because it's an oddity; it doesn't take away the great job he does. As I also mentioned before, it is very hard to catch dogs so it's a niche that few people can fill.

A lot of people are very much in the habit of reaching for the top of a dog's head; probably some/many/most of the people reading this :) It's natural for us to do, and therefore a hard habit to break. Dogs really tend not to like it and generally find it annoying and/or intimidating. I don't think the dogs in the videos like it or know it is out of love, but they tolerate it and it hasn't led to any dogs escaping in the videos I've seen anyway! I mentioned it because this is a forum for people who are interested in dogs and dog-human interactions, that's all. Didn't mean to make controversy.

MaryK

Honored Member
I commented about it just because it's an oddity; it doesn't take away the great job he does. As I also mentioned before, it is very hard to catch dogs so it's a niche that few people can fill.

A lot of people are very much in the habit of reaching for the top of a dog's head; probably some/many/most of the people reading this :) It's natural for us to do, and therefore a hard habit to break. Dogs really tend not to like it and generally find it annoying and/or intimidating. I don't think the dogs in the videos like it or know it is out of love, but they tolerate it and it hasn't led to any dogs escaping in the videos I've seen anyway! I mentioned it because this is a forum for people who are interested in dogs and dog-human interactions, that's all. Didn't mean to make controversy.
A & C I apologize most sincerely if you thought I was trying to be controversial or disagree with your comments. I didn't mean it that way at all so sorry, please forgive me it wasn't meant just that those dogs seemed to love him and accept his over the head pats guess I didn't look hard enough at their body language - lesson learned here.

I do agree totally with your comments on dogs being patted over the head, I was told ages ago not to do that as dogs do not have the type of vision/head movement (forgotten the technical terminology) to see above their heads as we can and therefore do find it intimidating or annoying. I still forget at times:( with my own dogs but never with strange dogs.

Again, I totally respect your post and am sorry. You made a very valid point and anyone reading the post can learn and know how to approach dogs, especially strange ones, in a safer manner.

Adrianna & Calvin

Experienced Member
Oh dear me, no! I didn't take offense, I didn't think your comment was against me in any way, I said what I did about the controversy just to make the point that I was explaining myself rather than trying to flame discussion.

Now lets have an apology contest ! ;) I'm sorry to have made you feel like YOU had to say sorry!

MaryK

Honored Member
Oh dear me, no! I didn't take offense, I didn't think your comment was against me in any way, I said what I did about the controversy just to make the point that I was explaining myself rather than trying to flame discussion.

Now lets have an apology contest ! ;) I'm sorry to have made you feel like YOU had to say sorry!
Thank you LOL on bended knee I apologize. - What's your move?:ROFLMAO: Hey next trick challenge - humans showing their apology trick!:ROFLMAO: Glad we've settled it all:D(y)

bekah1001

Honored Member
Are you working on this with him?
Trying to, he's an odd pup. It's mainly when visitors come over as soon as they're in the door he's barky and can be growly when they touch him. He'll do this to some people and not others but the people that he will growl at 5 min later he is best friends with them.