another newbie

crawford

Hiya everbody
my names crawford and ive just started using this site with my dog sophie . the videos are great and she is coming on a treat.we've just learn "paw" "bang" both in a couple of days cant believe that she would learn so quick. ive got a couple of Qs

1/when were trying to learn a new trick i find it very hard to keep her attention any ideas

2/i want to learn some games that i can play with her in the house

3/am trying to get sophie to perform "roll over" i can get the onto her side just like the bang position but cant get her to turn right over

any advice from any 1 would be great!!!!

cheers crawford

mikecamper

You may want to exercise Sophie before training. Bouncing the ball upstairs is a fun in house game we play. I taught Luke as a puppy to roll-over. I actually rolled him over by hand while repeating "Roll-over". There are some very good tricks on this site also!

zcoonhound

crawford;6736 said:
1/when were trying to learn a new trick i find it very hard to keep her attention any ideas
Try keeping your training sessions short. I found that Z was much more attentive when I stopped the session before she could get bored. That way I left Her wanting more. I usually do several short sessions a day rather than one long one.
2/i want to learn some games that i can play with her in the house
To me, the best game is trying to come up with different combinations of tricks that she can perform for family and friends. We also are currently training for search and rescue, and believe or not, to Z THIS is a game: searching for some poor lost person!
3/am trying to get sophie to perform "roll over" i can get the onto her side just like the bang position but cant get her to turn right over
I used the treat lure for Z. When in "down" I rotated the treat around to the side of her head each time and kept her nose following it. Each time she had to turn her head more and more until presto: SHE ROLLED OVER!!!! VICTORY:doglaugh:

Be sure to check out the montly challenges and the lesson discussions. I look forward to seeing some of your videos and pictures! WELCOME TO THE ACADEMY!!

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
End your training sessions at the peak emotional state of your dog. Don't wait until he is bored and tired. You can also end by playing a tug game!

My dogs turn around in circles if I grab their leech (we train outside most of the time).