Another Hungarian Breed, the Mudi

szecsuani

Experienced Member
The Mudi breed is a rare breed from Hungary. They are fondly regarded by Hungarian shepherds as the best dogs they have for herding.
(I have to say, that they are getting more and more popular these day because herding became a very popular sport here)
Recommended for: pet, working dog

Temperament:
The Mudi is truly a rare dog. The few owners who employ and favor the Mudi find it incomparable. It has served as a flock guardian, sheep herder, cow herder, guard dog, hunter of wild animals, killer of mice and weasels and as a companion. This breed is highly intelligent, it can learn as quickly as a Border Collie or even faster. This dog is extremely powerful and courageous, is afraid of nothing, not even wild boar, which it can overpower quickly. It makes a good watchdog and guard dog; it will defend both property and person; it doesn’t trust strangers. It is very loving and gentle in the family and makes an excellent companion dog. It will do okay with children if it is raised with them from puppyhood. The Mudi is friendly with other dogs and will do okay with non-canine pets if they are raised together from puppyhood or properly introduced as a new pet in the home. It is a friendly, obedient and playful dog, but can sometimes be noisy. This breed likes to feel independent; it is capable of handling its own flock without the assistance of a third paw. In Finland it is used as mountain-rescue dogs. This is a very active breed; it needs a lot of running and other exercises to be in a good condition. This dog loves to play and will excel in all kinds of sports such as fly ball and Frisbee.

The Mudi's Physical Characteristics

Here are some of the characteristics of the Mudi breed as determined by the Mudi Club of America's published breed standard.
Size: males 16 - 18 1/2 inches; females 15 - 17 1/2 inches
Coat: dense, shiny, short and smooth hair on head and front legs, the rest is uniformly wavy or slightly curved
Color: fawn, black, white, blue-merle, ash, brown
Eyes: narrow, slightly pointed at inner and outer corners, slightly oblique set, dark
Ears: high-set, prick, V-shape
Muzzle: strong, straight nose bridge
Nose: narrow, black but brown for brown/liver dogs

Living Environment:

This dog can live in an apartment if it is sufficiently exercised; however, it needs space to run and play and would do better if not kept in one. It is moderately active indoors and will do best with at least a large yard. This breed can live outdoors.

And now some pictures:

And videos:
www.youtube.com/tboges
This is a hungarian mudi breeder's channel.

Hope you like it! :)

ruffmuttk9z

There is a Mudi in one of my dogs' agility classes. Cute little dog but extremely shy and weary of people and new things.

szecsuani

Experienced Member
Not all of them. They usually don't care about people, other than their handler, but they are rarely shy.

ruffmuttk9z

It's just my experience with this one dog. The dog has been properly socialized since a very young age and still isn't too sure of itself. There are exceptions to every breed! :)

Liz

I love the Mudi's personality and performance ability, but I won't touch their overabundance of HD or epilepsy with a 10 foot pole. I have been corresponding with an international breeder of Mudi's who has been making an impressive effort to spread awareness of Mudi's health problems, as well as the importance of health screening. Hopefully she will continue to make a difference!

androvjones

I haven't held one but I do know someone who has a Mudi mix. He is a excellent boy. He's great power, being that Mudis are herders. And he also tries to herd the kittens and cats, but seemingly that's not the situation with most.