Alan Titchmarsh Interview

Mr-Remington

Experienced Member
I don't know if anyone has seen this interview with Caesar Millan. I personally applaud Titchmarsh for taking a stand, and voicing his concerns about Caesar's training methods. There is a debate going on the youtube page for this video as well as on my twitter feed. People think that Titchmarsh was in the wrong for trying to embarrass Caesar, and that he was childish for doing so. Others say he had every right to bring light to the abusive methods that Caesar uses. I'm curious what you guys thought of it.

Anneke

Honored Member
Well, On one hand, Titchmarsh didn't give Milan much room for actually answering his questions... BUT on the other hand, Milan didn't give very good answers.
I do use food... and in one case a parrot?????
I am not a huge Milan fan, but he has some good points, when it comes to the education of dogowners. I just don't like the way he handles the dogs.
Here in Holland this clip has been going round in the dogworld. It has been stirring up discussions here too.
Anyway, Milan wasn't so calm and assertive here:D

Mr-Remington

Experienced Member
I agree I don't like his methods. But one thing he was right about was that people wait until they are ready to snap before they seek help. Millan just needs to update his methods of training. I've never seen a dog that didn't respond well to being trained using treats and clicker.

Dogster

Honored Member
Hehe, he was so nervous!!!:p Definately not calm and assertive.

I liked this video because I liked to see what responses he had to people who don't agree with his methods- the responses to the questions weren't good. I liked Titchmarsh's statement when he said "You wouldn't do this to kids, so why dogs???" Completely agree.(y) I didn't hear him explain when he used treats. He said he used a parrot?!?!?O_o Millan is still using old training methods that can really harm dogs. We should snap his brain out of it.:D

Oh, I found a pic about this vid:

MaryK

Honored Member
Agree Dogster, Milan looked anything but calm and relaxed. And it was good to listen to his responses. From my view point, he didn't come out too well, only agreed with the part about 'training' the humans, other than that a parrot?????? Using a parrot as a food reward? I assume the parrot survived.

Again, totally agree Dogster with the statement "You wouldn't do this to kids, so why dogs?"

Yes Milan needs to snap out of his old training styles and LISTEN for once. I really don't like the man, or his training methods, and didn't hear him respond really to the statement by the RSPCA. Also noted his doesn't have one single certifiable qualification in dog psychology. He needs more training than the dogs!

Loved the picture Dogster, really good, says more than words ever can!(y)

Adrianna & Calvin

Experienced Member
Nothing childish about it. It was a good interview, though hopefully no one believes any of the b.s. Millan was able to spout during it. Re: the cat & the Rottie, the cat isn't dominating the Rottie ... the cat can't say, "please sir, you do offend me with your persistent sniffing of my face and I must insist you desist immediately!" or "whoa, dude, enough with the sniffing!" The cat communicates as he's able to, with a non-injurious whap to the snout, that his face is not to be persistently sniffed.

And the dog who bites the face when the woman kisses it ... sigh. The dog has problems, but let's use his fear of the parrot to make it so the lady is able to kiss her dog like she wants to. Because forcing kisses upon your dog's face is important.

Mr-Remington

Experienced Member
A&C- I thought the exact same thing when he said he used the parrot as a training tool. I would never use my dogs fear of my pet rat as a tool to prevent him from doing something, all that does is terrify the dog. All I can think is one day that dog snapped and injured/killed the poor bird.

I love the picture dogster! He learned calming signals without realizing, I just wish he would learn to listen to a dog when they use them!

MaryK

Honored Member
I agree, I have never used fear to train my dogs. And yes, I too wondered just how safe the parrot would be, though depending on the size of the parrot, it may be a case of how safe the dog would be in a fight. Ghastly to think of what could well happen. Both animals could be badly injured.

He's too arrogant to listen to anyone, human or dog!