Agility Tunnels

krazykai0905

My dog Kai and I are starting contact agility(she's a pup, so I can't jump her for another year), and we don't have a tunnel. I get to barrow my friends tunnel from time to time, but I would really like to get one of my own. But all the "agility appropriate" tunnels are around $200 +, even on affordable agility! I'm not looking for anything super long, just one that would be big enough for a German Shepherd when she grows up.

~~*Harper & Kai*~~​

stormi

Whilst she's still a puppy maybe you could use a childs play tunnel? They don't cost much (here anyway) especially if you can find one second hand. Not sure about tougher ones for when she's older...maybe see if any are being sold second-hand (e.g. from a local agility club)?

fickla

Experienced Member
i would search for dog agility tunnels on ebay. while they aren't going to the greatest quality, they will be good enough for practicing. I got off of ebay, you can find them ranging from $30-$60.

oh, and why you shouldn't be really jumping your puppy yet, you can easily put the bars on the ground and still practice all the handling for little sequences.

krazykai0905

Thanks! I'll try that. I do place poles on the ground and on the ground just off of a jump-base. She loves walking over them, same with attacking the weave poles while she weaves. :)

~~*Harper & Kai*~~

fickla

Experienced Member
sounds cute :) I'm sure you know that a puppy shouldn't be doing a closed set of weaves, but thought I'd clarify that for any other people reading this thread. I do think it's great to introduce pups to the channel method though and do a tiny bit of 2x2s with them!

krazykai0905

@ Fickla: I leaned the poles out to the side and had her walk between them and gradually brought them to a standing position, so she did have time to figure it out. Though just recently she seemed to have completely forgotten them...:q

~~*Harper & Kai*~~

fickla

Experienced Member
Kai's only 4 months right? I think it's great that you're starting weave poles, although I've never used the "V" method myself. But most trainers would say that you shouldn't bring the poles up in a straight line until your dog is done growing, at least 1yr of age if not older.

krazykai0905

Fickla: Why do they say that? I asked my vet about agility and weaves, they said weaving should be fine if she doesn't do extreme amounts at a time. We only do three or four full weaves every other day.

~~*Harper & Kai*~~

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
I'm just posting so i can relocate this thread.

A pal of ours just loaned us an agility set, weave poles, a tunnel, a jump, and a ring. How lucky are we!? Buddy loves them.

His weave poles are set into a base, not into the ground, which is kinda nice, i can move it around the yard.

fickla

Experienced Member
Well I am not entirely sure, but everything I have ever read and everyone in agility I have talked to have all said the same thing, wait until the dog is fully grown. I think this is because weaving is the most unnatural thing we ever teach our dog to do, and it requires multiple bends in the dog's spine. Thankfully some agility organizations have just voted to increase the spacing in the weave poles to 24in so it is better for the health of the dogs.

I know Susan Garrett, developer of the 2x2 method, suggests waiting until the dog is closer to a year and a half and doesn't even start puppies on anything until that time since dogs can learn so quickly with her method. Silvia Trkman does start puppies on the channel method, she started Bi at 6.5months, but this is because she spends so much time working on entries with a puppy and she doesn't close the poles until much much later.

But like I said, I am not a vet and am no expert in agility either. But in my opinion I would spend my efforts training other things, and/or re open the slants and really work hard on angled entries, getting independent weaves regardless of your body position, and speed in and out of the weaves. It's a lot of work if you want this independence and speed and I don't think a puppy has the coordination down. Even if you have a great performance as a pup, the striding is going to be completely different when she's finished growing.

So with Vito, 11 months and 18inches, he is "jumping" 8 inches and we are doing a ton of little sequences and flat work. I also am working on his contact behavior (we're doing running contacts), but don't do an actual aframe yet and rarely do the full dog walk. We practice weaves occasionally, but never closed. I just want Vito to know that weave poles are really cool and to be able to find his entry regardless of where I am.

krazykai0905

Oh, I see about the spine thing. :) I'll try and keep her from the weaves for a while. Kai is working on contact agility, mostly the teeter-totter. Because I had her so early, she's un afraid of moving things(unlike my mom's dog). Though my touching it(so it doesn't slam on the ground to fast and cause impact on her shoulders) might play into her confidence with that. But she's not afraid of skateboarding...:q

~~*Harper & Kai*~~

snooks

Experienced Member
We did a scaled down puppy agility class that was smaller equipment and taught not to fear these weird things and stay with ur trainer. Those things I thought helped me out a lot. I had my 6yo Golden boy in the puppy agility class because he never did any of that stuff before and I had a great time in the class with him. My 4 mo puppy was in there too. Both got a lot out of the class and went on to LOVE big dog agility. Puppies should not be jumping tho until they are old enough to be OFA imaged or PennHIP for hips and elbows and are determined to be sound enough not to injure themselves. The puppy class had jumps that they just walked over since the PVC pipe was ON the ground. Weave poles I've not heard of being an issue given you aren't pounding the dog endlessly through them. Which would likely be boring for the dog anyway. It's the impact on bony growth plates before they stop growing that you much watch out for.

More info at http://www.offa.org/ and you can read about disease information. If you have any questions ask ur vet how to safely exercise a young dog.

Great cheap nice agility equipment at www.cleanrun.com. That's where I got my tunnel and chute. These are light portable ones---the heavy duty ones are there too but much more $$. My nylon ones are still doing nicley after two years.