Agility constructions

marieke

It's for children to crawl through. My sister bought it for my niece but it's great for dogs too. It's not very high though, too small for big dogs unfortunately.

storm22

Experienced Member
ive got quite a few at home agility gear i made an old bike tyre on poles for a tyre to jump through, a couple of those kids tunnels (storm loves tunnels), ive got some fencing stakes (for electric fencing) used as a weave only problem is i move them round 1 by 1 so sometimes there a bit uneven and this old little kiddy size picnic table for him to wait on (its like a pause box)

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
You can build your own jumps and weave set using PVC pipes at Home Depot. A lot cheaper than buying it from an agility dealer. There are plans and even books available for easy construction. Make sure you look at the proper dimensions for weaves. And if you build a jump, make sure that the bar is able to fall down. You don't want your dog to trip on the bar and hurt himself or crash into a jump.

marieke

I should make a weave set for Guus. He's very unflexible in his back. When I tell him to walk cirles he makes squares instead. I also like Storm's idea of using a bike tyre on poles. Guus isn't old enough for it yet but that gives me plenty of time to make my own agility things. Thanks for the tips guys!

storm22

Experienced Member
you can rest the tyre on the ground and give him the idea of going through a tyre first before he is ready to jump so hes not so worried about it when the time comes to jump we did this at training for the first 4 or 5 weeks all our dogs just ran through the jumps and tyres so they werent scary when a pole was put onto jump

ilovemydog

oOhhh that looks awesome. I will have to go to shopping. How old does your dog have to be to start agility classes? she is 6 month old chihuahua

reveuse

Im not very handy or very crafty but i was able to make an adjustable jump for Romeo with just a pvc cutter and some pipe and the directions i found here at instantagility.com (i can't post links yet since i dont have enough posts lol)

It took me maybe half an hour once I got all materials and my act together. I skipped the glue because my dog is pretty small and also because I wanted the option of taking the jump apart since I live in a smallish apartment. ALSO for the first jump i made i couldn't find the "jump cup holders" they describe so i used the method they list for cutting the pipe in two places and although it was tricky it worked fine. - found the saddle clamp things they suggested for the second one but havent gotten around to making it yet.