Ackward dog health/hygiene problem

marieke

A bit of a stupid question maybe and kinda emberassing for Guus but his little weewee aparatus is dirty, it looks like some kind of puss of goo. I only noticed it this morning, and I should have seen it if he had it before because I put him on his back every day to put eczema cream between his toes. Should I clean this if he doesn't do it himself?

leema

Is he interested in it? If so, there may be an irritation in his sheath. You can roll back his sheath to see if there is something in there - when you put his lipstick back in, make sure not to catch hair in it! (ouch!)

Sometimes dogs, especially puppies (not sure how old Guus is?) have very mild infections that result in their urine appearing a bit 'thicker' and sometimes collecting on the hair around their penis/vulva. These normally clear up with little discomfort quickly.

Hope that helps. :)

marieke

Thanks! Guus is 8 months old so it could be the mild infection thing. I just remembered that Buck had it too when he was a puppy (11 years ago already). I'll keep an eye on it, if it doesn't disapear in a week orso I'll take him to the vet.