Accidents When Left Alone :(

Holly

I've recently adopted a 6 months old male Lurcher and am very aware of their breed traits. Even if we leave him alone for 10 minutes he tends to poo and wee on the floor, even if he's just been out. Are there any techniques other than the doggy pads that you can reccommend? I don't want to encourage him to do his business in the house at all. He is very well behaved all other times, and since starting basic training has come on leaps and bounds......... any advice?? Thanks

charmedwolf

Staff member
I'd like to plant the idea of this being possible seperation anxiety as some dogs tend to loss control of their bowels and blander when under anxiety.

For now, I would clean all the areas that he has pooped and peed in extreme well with enzymatic cleaner or neutralizers in order to get rid of any smell that might still be there that he can smell. I would also look into a crate or a x-pen into to keep him confined to an area.

jackienmutts

Honored Member
If he doing this even if he's just been out and even if he's alone for only 10 min, and going both pee and poo, it sounds to me like it may be more of a case of separation anxiety than truly having to potty. Whatever you do, don't ever punish or even so much as comment on it. There are lots of threads on separation anxiety, you may want to look up and read them.

Just very briefly, start very very slowly with him, take him out to potty, leave him only for *a minute* and come right back. When I say a minute, try not even that. Make your comings and goings VERY quiet, no dramatic "bye baby, see you when I get back" and then "omg, there's my baby, ooooh, (add baby talk and squeals here) ordeals. (not saying you do any of this - some people do) Just quiet leavings, and quiet returns. Literally practice, leaving only for several seconds, then come back. They truly need to learn ** over time ** that you'll come back. The peeing and pooping is out of nervousness (if it is separation anxiety) and they can't physically stop themselves. It can take quite a while and lots and lots of patience, lots of practice, lots of coming and going.

See if you can find old threads, I remember Fickla had an excellent thread a while back - or perhaps post more info here so we know what your routine is - I'll try to give you some ideas, you may be doing this already, not sure. Exercise him before you leave - take him for a good walk or play a good game of ball or whatever he likes (which means, especially for an anxious dog, at least a 30 min walk or a 30 min game of ball, not a 5 min potty walk, or 3 ball tosses). If he's tired, some of that anxious energy will be spent. Also, be sure you give your pup something great to chew while you're gone to occupy his time, maybe a frozen stuffed kong, a bully stick, something of that nature. You want to get his mind off his fears and troubles - and if you're only gone a few minutes, take that chew away as soon as you come home. You want him to look forward to getting it when you leave. You want that to be a *special something * he looks forward to, so that altho he may dread you leaving, on the other hand, he's got that incredible huge bully stick, or frozen peanut butter stuffed kong, or .... you get the idea, that he knows he'll get.

Am wondering also, how long have you had your boy? Has his schedule changed? He's still young, am wondering a few things here ... wish you'd post a little more info. What's his/your schedule?? Hmm....

Holly

Hey thanks Guys,

We only got him on Saturday so last night was his second night with us. night one we had wee and poo during the night so last night I tried spraying my perfume on his pillow to comfort him and not even tinkle all night! He 5 to 6 months old and was a stray until taken into kennels where he lievd for a month. His progress these 2 days since we got him has been amazing, we've made sure their is no drama or reaction to him when leaving and entering the house apart from 'bye' in a monotone voice and then ignoring him when we get in, waiting till he returns to his bed calmly and then praising him and the little things like that have helped him to be less stressed when we leave.

I have ordered a cage/crate online, a 42 inch one and have made several toys using cheese spread, mini dog bones and spreading them inside bottles with small holes in etc and he's loving them. I've taught him to sit, give his paw and lie down and we are practising stay at the moment, our schedule is a walk first thing about 7-7.30 each morning for about 30 - 45 minutes including a good sprint or two, then home and 30 minutes later he has breakfast, as soon as hes finished eating hes straight outside for wee wee's or poo poo's (high pitched voice!) and 5 - 10 minutes of that, if he doesnt go, i try again every 15-20 minutes and if he starts sniffing around, circling etc. At the moment either me or my partner is in most days so he isn't being left alone in the day very much but the crate will help with that, we both work full time but alternate shifts and im leaving soon for a part time job so im around more. Usually after walks and breakfast hes ready for a nap, when he next gets up we practise obiedience and he is incredibly well behaved to the point where whenwe get in the garden, he sits and waits for me to enter the house before following me in.

We go for another walk around 5.30, if im working then as soon as I get in, thiswalk is a good 45 - 60 minutes to ensure he sleeps well and settles during the night, this walk includes 2 or 3 good sprints, occasionally with my partner running with him (which i'd pay good money to watch on tv as its hilarious)
He then has his tea about 30 minutes after getting in and we follow the same toiletting procedure.

He has plenty of treats in the day during training so is getting plenty to eat and I am on top of the world with him, he knows who his pack leader is as Ceasar Milan would say and he's become a much loved member of the family in these 48 hours and we wouldn't be without him. Im going to crate train him as soon as it arrives to help him but I don't think we will need to use this too much, we'll see when he gets to 9 months and starts tearing up the house I guess!!

All my life I have had dogs in the family and loved them all dearly but this is my first time rescuing a lurcher and I will never go back, absolutely adore our little Trigger!! (partners name choice!)

Holly xx

Dodge

:plove it,just one thing . . .forget you ve ever seen Milan(!!!!:sick::censored::sick:) Victoria Stilwell is the way to go (y)
I cant manage to put a link on,but check out the "Dominance Myth" in behavioral problems(maybe somebody else will add the link(:whistle:),possitive training is the BEST EVER way to train your doggy,forget (honestly,just wipe your memory!) Milan is not the way forward(y)

jackienmutts

Honored Member
Oh I had no idea you had literally just brought him home - poor thing was probably just scared, very nervous, didn't know the schedule, nor how to tell you he had to go outside to take care of his business. He sounds like a delightful pup, and you're doing a wonderful job with him. Can I suggest one thing? I'd skip spraying your perfume on his bed. Their noses are so very sensitive, their sense of smell is sooooo much stronger than ours, he was probably thinking that stuff you sprayed was awfully strong. ;) (Think about what they prefer to smell like, what they like to roll in :p).

:plove it,just one thing . . .forget you ve ever seen Milan(!!!!:sick::censored::sick:) Victoria Stilwell is the way to go (y)
I cant manage to put a link on,but check out the "Dominance Myth" in behavioral problems(maybe somebody else will add the link(:whistle:),possitive training is the BEST EVER way to train your doggy,forget (honestly,just wipe your memory!) Milan is not the way forward(y)
I have to whole-heartily agree!!!!! I think most (if not all) people on this forum all are positive-based trainers (and Milan is definitely NOT). We're huge Victoria Stillwell fans (if we're talking TV shows/tv trainers), and there are lots of threads here on the forum, lots of books, DVDs, etc, we can help you find, loads of info if you need it - just ask.

Give him a little time, a good schedule, training, boundaries, exercise - and he'll reward you with love and respect and his whole heart forever ... and not because you were dominant over him and proved to be a firm pack leader. Throw that one out. He has no designs to take over your household, nor pay your rent or mortgage -- he only wants to share your life and love you. Have a great time with your new best friend!!!

running_dog

Honored Member
It sounds like Trigger's really fallen on his feet with you. Taking a wild guess from the photo you might have some mix of a Greyhound (and/or whippet) and border collie, it is a common mix (other possibilities would include staffie (but his head is a bit narrow for that) or bedlington terriers). Be careful if there is any suggestion of saluki in his make up, they are notoriously sensitive to any negatives (real or imagined).

Lurchers are (generally) very soft dogs. Don't worry about dominance, it really isn't normally their thing. Catch him being good and the sky is the limit. That said don't be fooled by the super-obedience, there is a good chance he'll start bending the rules once he's settled and running :LOL:.