A Lump On Piper :(

southerngirl

Honored Member
About three weeks ago I noticed a little spot on Pipers shoulder and just figured she cut herself or something. Well it went from being about the size of a pea to a size of a nickle. I'm thinking it's a Histiocytoma. She has been scratching it so it has scabbing on it because of that. I have tried covering it up with ace bandage, but she manages to get it off. She's going to the vet this weekend.
Thoughts??
Sorry about the pictures, my camera isn't working well for some reason.(n)

Honored Member
Holly had a histiocytoma when she was a puppy. It was on her head, just in from the top of her ear. It came up really quick and we didn't know what it was so we took her to the vet. The vet diagnosed it and said it should go away on it's own in a couple of months and it would be unlikely that it would need to be removed.
They were right, it went away after about 4 weeks, disappeared just as fast as it appeared. It didn't leave a scar or anything, the hair grew fine. You would never know she ever had one.

It's hard to say if that's what Piper has as the photo's arn't great and she has very different skin/coat to Holly. But it does sort of look similar.
Holly's was small when it first came up, looked a bit like a wort I suppose but then it changed over the first few days, then stayed the same until it was gone.
Holly's was round and raised and the skin looked a little dry. It didn't look vgreat but it didn't bother her. We never covered Holly's.

jackienmutts

Honored Member
So sorry you're going thru that, I know how worrysome it is until you know something for sure. Alfie had a histiocytoma several years ago on his mouth by his lower lip. I took him in to be sure it was nothing (cuz it looked horrid). It came up fast, got big, just stayed there and looked awful for a while, and and went away on it's own.

Hopefully that's what will happen with Piper. Is it sweling at all? I'm wondering if it could be a cebaceous cyst? Makena has one on her shoulder area that occasionally will burst, scab over, run a bit, etc. (for years now). Keep us posted, we'll send some good thoughts your way.

southerngirl

Honored Member
Thank you guys for the Positive thoughts and prayers. Me and Piper appreciate them.:) I'll let you guys know what the vet says. Crossing my fingers.

jackienmutts

Honored Member
So glad that's all it was - those darn things are scary tho, they pop up so fast, and then our minds go to places they shouldn't go. Great news, esp right before the holidays -- lots to be thankful for!!! (y)