A Cheap Scent Discrimination Game

CollieMan

Experienced Member
I spotted this last night.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0uO-YZ30PI[/media]As you can see, a very cost-effective and efficient way to play a scent-discrimination game with Fido. All you need is a pad of Post-It notes and some Latex gloves, and we all keep the latter in the house, er, don't we?

In case it's not made clear enough in the video, you need to make sure that you only touch one note with the 'naked' hand to avoid confusing the dog.

szecsuani

Experienced Member
How does the dog know what he has to look for at the first time?
This was the only thing I didn't get... I think this is a great idea!

CollieMan

Experienced Member
At first, it may be that because you know which note contains the scent, then the split second your dog touches it (his curiosity if nothing else will drive this) click and reward.

Do that a few times, and he'll soon think "hang on a second, if I touch this one that smells of him, then I get a reward. If I touch these that smell of nothing, I don't get a thing."

Some breeds and dogs are more naturally adept at scent work than others, but I think almost all dogs will get some enjoyment from this simple game.

l_l_a

it looks like a neat game! Maybe if you don't have latex gloves you could use a plastic bag on your hand or something like that? I'm not sure how the dog knows that it is your scent that is the thing to watch for? repetition I suppose!

CollieMan

Experienced Member
I tried this last night with Ellie. At first, she wanted to just eat the Post-It notes. A new angle was needed, I figured. :)

What I then did was just stick a note on my hand and encouraged her towards it. The moment her nose touched it, I clicked and rewarded. I then repeated this several times.

After she had got that, I stuck it to the wall instead of the hand, and essentially repeated the same process. Once she got that, I introduced the scent-less notes and only clicked her for touching the right one.

I would say it took about fifteen minutes for her to get the idea.

l_l_a

excellent! maybe I'll give this game a try too, first I gotta go and get some post-it notes (I have them at work but not at home...)