4 Month Old Golden ...

Taneisa8

and he's a wild one! Actually, it's the first time I've ever raised a pup while working full time, and he is a full time job all by himself! So this is also my first time crating a dog, and that is going very well! It's also the first time I've ever brought a puppy into my home when there wasn't another dog already in residence ... who knew how much another dog entertains and teaches a pup!!!
Anyway, I've looked all around the forum and read all kinds of neat advice!
Teyha is almost four months old, and one of the most dominant dogs I've ever owned! (the picture of him with his nose in the grass is PERFECTLY him ... this is just how he looks seconds before he is about to go full devil dog!!)
He already has his 'sit' and 'give' pretty much down pat. He's doing ok with 'down', but seems to only want to do it if there is a treat in it for him. We're working on that!
My struggle at the moment is his nippiness and jumping. He was an only pup, so he didn't have the advantage of siblings to wrestle and play with. He also hasn't gotten to play with any other dogs as his puppy shots won't be complete for another week and a half.
So ... as I said I've been reading here for a full day now, and I've started using the 'off' for when he jumps, and then folding my arms and ignoring him. It .... shows promise! And offering him a toy when he wants to nip and chew.
This is a wonderful site! And as this pup has boundless energy and is very, very, very smart! ... I'm hoping that in learning all his obedience commands and some tricks, it will help him to be the happy golden boy that he deserves to be!
So glad to have found this forum!!
Cindy (Teyha's mom!)

southerngirl

Honored Member
Welcome. I love your dogs name and he is a little cutie.
It sounds like you have found out how to deal with his biting and jumping(y). You should really look into getting him into puppy classes. The key window for dog socialization is the first 16 weeks. At puppy classes they are usually very sanitary so it's safe for pups to be sure you would have to ask. :D

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
WELCOME!! WHAT A CUTE DOG!!
Feel free to post more photos so we can see him better!
so so great you are into training your dog, YAY for you!

sounds like you are doing great on the crate training, yay for you! (remember, never ever send dog to crate as a punishment/time out thing, or dog WILL remember that and hate his crate).
Yeah, i so admire those humans willing to bring home a baby dog, they are wild! lol, i'm way too lazy to raise up baby dogs now!:ROFLMAO: Hang in there, dogs do grow up!

Hope this video gives you some ideas on helping the puppy nipping. all of kikopup videos are great "positive only" advice, she has lots of videos on raising puppies. (potty training, crates, home alone, etc, etc etc)

bekah1001

Honored Member
Cute pup! I have two goldens :) I found that my goldens as puppies werent as bad as my friends golden. They called her a devil dog too :p

MaryK

Honored Member
Lovely pup and YEAH he's doing well:) Had the same problem with the biting with *my* rescue boy, toys did the trick:) He too was basically an only pup. He also completely missed puppy pre-school as he was 'too old:LOL: by the time my vets had enough puppies to run the pre-school I would advise getting your boy into puppy pre-school as it really makes a difference. My last two puppies Zeus and Tiger Lily both went to pre-school as brother, I sure noticed the difference with Ra Kismet.

Dogster

Honored Member
WELCOME!!!!!:D Puppies ARE a handful.:rolleyes::p Teyha is ADORABLE by the way!!!!:love: If you need any trick ideas, or if you have any questions, we are happy to help!!!!:) Hope you enjoy the site!!! Good luck with your pup!!!

jackienmutts

Honored Member
Hi and welcome! Teyha is just precious - laughing at "full devil dog" :LOL:. A good friend has a Golden who just turned a year, also the only survivor of her litter (mom also died, sad situation), so was hand-raised. Same thing you've described as far as not being with other dogs, etc. Tried as I could, I couldn't convince of the necessity to get her into puppy classes til all shots were finished -- "devil dog" was the sanitized version of what they called her! :ROFLMAO: They finally did get her into classes tho - and what a change, all for the better (for everyone!!).

Keep up the good work, and do post any questions, frustrations, successes, pictures, etc - we LOVE puppies, and hearing of their progress. And just remember (when you're having a bad day) - it's a good thing all puppies are cute, they HAVE to be ... or no one would keep them around for long.:LOL: :ROFLMAO: And the best part is, they grow up into wonderful dogs!! :love: