10 month Golden problem

leighdu

Hi all,

We live in a house on an acre of land so I like to let my Golden run around freely while I watch her. However, as soon as I turn my back for one minute she runs to the neighbors house and starts pestering their dog. As soon as I call her she runs right back, but I would like for her never to go there at all. Is there anyway I can train to her never step foot there? She knows it is wrong because she always always runs there the minute I turn my back to her.

fickla

Experienced Member
First of all, you need to be very excited that your dog is actually coming back as soon as you call. Coming with distractions (the other dog) is really hard and you need to give your dog a ton of credit for actually doing so. Secondly, realize that 10 months old is a teenager and a time for testing the rules and being stubborn- so be even more proud that your dog is coming to you!

As for the training, dogs can actually learn boundary training pretty quickly. The hard part is proofing it against distractions so they respect the boundaries even when ____(fill in the blank). Ideally you would start teaching her the boundaries when the other dog isn't there. I like to set up flags (or something the dog can easily see) and then attach a long rope to the dog. First I just walk the border with my dog and then I start stepping across the border while body blocking the dog to stay on the other side. Once the dog understands that she can't cross the line even if I cross it, I start proofing it. I act real excited, throw food across, throw a toy, etc. And then I would start turning my back and moving further away from the line while she still has to respect the boundary. Finally you may then start to add the other dog.

In real life since you can't control when the other dog is out or not, you can still try it but be prepared for it to be harder. Or you can just always have her on a long rope when the other dog is out, and practice training when the dog is finally gone.
Just remember that she may learn the boundary really well, but it can be very hard to train the distraction part of it.

fickla

Experienced Member
Oh, I also find this is easier if your dog already knows a wait command and if you first practice boundary training with an easier boundary- such as a gate or doorway where it's much more visual for your dog.

leighdu

Thanks so much for the tips. I've never considered making boundaries but I think that may just work. She has not learned the wait command yet, but I think I will start with that first. Thanks again !

dreamr802

Yeah one thing that my dad use to do with our dog was that we would put her on the leash...and we would walk and once we got to a point we would yell at her and she'd jump back and after a while you would try to pull her across and she refused to go across that line.

snooks

Experienced Member
train with a field retriever whistle. i still think 10 mos is too young to be out off leash...imho

i have two goldens and would not have let them out off leash at that age. the older is obedience, agility, rally, CGC and she does not free roam. Puppy is a year and no way is she going out off leash.

meant kindly..just would hate to see anything happen. also the more roaming is rewarded by seeing neighbors dog even for a second the more it will be done.

silasandfocus

I need a little clarification. When you walk the boundry with the dog (on a long rope) if the dog crosses the boundry how do you respond??

How does the dog get the idea that you can go out but they can't? Are you saying anything or just casually walking?? I love the idea just not completely sure I get all the details yet. Thanks so much for the great advice!

fickla

Experienced Member
Does your dog know "wait?" Like I said I would first practice at a gate or doorway where the boundry is clearly defined. Then I tell the dog "wait" and just open the door. I get in front of the dog so I can use body blocks (not the leash) to prevent the dog from going through (I don't actually go through the door yet). In the beginning as soon as they stop trying to get out the door I reward them. I then start telling them wait while I go through the door without them and reward them.

For the yard, it's basically the same thing, but your dog should already be responsive to body blocks and a verbal "ah ah." I generally practice waits as I go across the flags, and do some body blocks if I need to (keep the rope shorter here so you can actually be in front of them). Once the dog can do that really well, I stop putting them in a "wait" and just use a verbal "ah ah" if they wonder to close. If they stop right away, I click and throw them a treat, or sometimes call them to come.

But your dog still shouldn't be left outside unattended even if they do learn the boundaries as something could always happen.