Starting Nosework Today!!

Dlilly

Honored Member
It was very last minute, but Rory is signed up for a Nosework class that starts tonight! I'm very exited, this class is perfect for reactive dogs.

For those of you who have attended a Nosework class, is there anything I should bring other than treats, a leash, poop bags, water, and a clicker??

I will make sure to keep this thread updated. :D

jackienmutts

Honored Member
Woo-hoo!! Can't wait to hear how it goes!!! I know way late with your answer, but nope, nothing else, not even a clicker. No behaviors or obedience are asked for in Nosework - the dogs are allowed to just 'be dogs'. (y):cool:

Can't wait to hear how it goes!!! Please post as soon as you can!! Nosework is GREAT for reactive dogs. It's been fabulous for Makena. She LOVES Nosework, and honestly, I think she's realized that dogs come with it, she knows I'll always have her back, and because of all that, it's really helped her to calm down around other dogs. The dogs always work alone, but she sees other dogs while waiting in the car, etc, and it's just never a problem anymore. She's also developed such confidence, it's been such an incredible journey watching her develop her skills and grow. It's going to be so fun to have someone else to talk to!!! :D

Dlilly

Honored Member
Rory made me so proud! Although he did react to some dogs he saw, he didn't jump on anyone! (He is soo bad about jumping on people) Since this facility is a boarding kennel and daycare, Rory could hear dogs barking, and would sometimes see a dog, but the man who would put our dogs in the crate area was pretty good about keeping other dogs out of sight. I'm hoping Rory will become used to seeing the other dogs.

All of the handlers will stay in the room we're working in, then the assistant will bring out each dog one at a time then put them back in their crates.

I was thinking Rory might not even care about he boxes/treats because of all of the people, but after he greeted each person, he got busy and went searching for treats. He had a blast. :)

I actually need to get him a new harness that he will only wear during his classes so he knows that it's time to work. Do you (jackienmutts or anyone else) have any suggestions for a good, cool looking harness? Right now he's wearing a Comfortflex, I have a regular harness I can also use, it's just a pain to put on and off.

jackienmutts

Honored Member
I'm so glad it went well, and Rory and you had a great first night and a good time!!!! Isn't it fun?? My bet, he'll keep doing the "meet-n-greet" thing for a bit, but once he really gets into it, and gets more focused, he'll start coming into the room to search (more down the line, when you have a search cue, etc) and just get to work, no time for his adoring fans. Just you wait! It's so cool to see the dogs get to that point - you ask them to "go search" (or whatever your cue is, that happens to be ours) and watch them just go, paying no attention to anyone in the room (or outside, or wherever you happen to be). Once they're finished tho, Makena will still make a fast trip over to people to say hi on her way out. :LOL: She can't pass up a few quick pets from all her adoring fans, after all!! :ROFLMAO:

As for a harness, wish I could help - I can't. We use a 2" Martingale as our 'search collar" from this place (they have a HUGE selection) http://www.2houndsdesign.com/Our-Favorites-c-16.html I think most of the dogs at our facility use 2" Martingales, with very few exceptions. Any particular reason you're opting for a harness? Makena only uses that wide collar for Nosework (altho I do have an ID tag on it, cuz her regular collar is then off), it feels very different from her other collar (much wider), and she knows when that collar goes on, she's "in search mode". She's so cute, when I put her collar on, she gets so excited - and serious - at the same time. She totally goes into "work" mode, getting very focused. Whichever you choose will work, but a collar is very easy -- just make sure if you opt for one of the Martingales, you get a wide one, so it feels very different from his usual collar (hence, the 2" one). I've volunteered at several trials, and competed at several, and it appears most people have decided to go with collars instead of harnesses, but the decision is yours.

How fun, seems we both have class on the same day - ours is on Wednesdays too. :) Just think, if you get as addicted to it as we have, we'll still be posting in this thread a few years from now!!! :ROFLMAO: I never dreamed when we starteed 3 years ago, that we'd have this much fun, and still be going to class every Wed night. It's been a blast, and it's helped Makena in so many ways. Granted, we've done loads of work outside of Nosework, but it's such a fun sport, and it turns you into such a bonded team with your dog. You'll learn to read Rory like you can't believve - cuz you'll learn to study his body, his breathing, you have to know when they're searching, when they're crittering, when to step back and let 'em rip, and when they need your assistance. The communication that will develop between you will amaze you. It's gonna be a fun ride!!!! :cool:

Dlilly

Honored Member
It's cool we have the same class on the same day!

Rory is the only dog in my class who walks into the room and doesn't immediately start searching. He comes in panting and crazed. That's because he has seen another dog. It takes him a few seconds to calm down and start searching. Either him seeing dogs will make him better, or worse. I'm hoping it will make him better.

I'm using his old regular red harness instead of buying a new one… But he did get a new collar!