Sophie's new trick

sassybrat

I had wanted to teach Sophie to hide her eyes with her paw when i say "are you shy" but i didn't know how to go about it...I used the advice on the lessons page and put a piece of tape on under one eye and asked are you shy? and when she would paw at the tape i would give her a treat....we did that during 2 training sessions...today was the 3rd time I tried...we started out with the piece of tape...but by the end the lesson she was doing it without the tape! I was so happy I gave her a whole handfull of tiny treats and told her she was sooooo smart!

we'll still be working on that one, but I was so happy that she did it for the first time without the tape! No one is here to tell lol so I decided to post it!

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Way to go! ^^ I haven't gotten to this one with any of my dogs yet, but it's on the to-do list. =) Good job with Sophie! Keep it up!

leema

Congrats on Sophie's new trick. :)

Mac loves this trick, and it's one of the most showy. We ask him, "Is something SCARY?" and he'll cover his face with his paw and hold it there. We originally asked him to target a ball near his face, until we were getting a wave like action. then I used a clicker to mark him touching and holding his paw against his face to extend it to a hold of his face. It's very cute and a crowd pleaser. ;)

szecsuani

Experienced Member
I'm sooo happy that the "lesson" I posted was useful to someone!!!:dogbiggrin::dogbiggrin:
:really really proud of self:

l_l_a

congratulations to Sophie for learning that so quickly! and thanks to Szecsuani for sharing a great lesson! :)

marieke

That is such a cute trick, well done on teaching it! I tried it with Guus but the tape won't stick to his coat for some reason. Maybe you know of some other way to teach it?

dakotamom421

you can try blowing gently on his ears and when it bugs them they will swipe at their face this worked best for my dog ( i tried the tap first and i had the same problem) good luck with guus, and congrats sophie. :dogbiggrin:

luna may

I'm teaching Kesem to "Hide and seek" by putting a cloth loop on her nose, and rewarding her for swiping at it with her left paw (at my right).
So far so good :doghappy:.

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
Nice job. Now she will do it all the time!!!

Take a look at one of my training sessions. My dog has been conditioned to do the "Shy" trick so often that she will offer it if it means there is a possibility to get treats. :dogsmile: (Even tho I wasn't training that at all)

[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nr8c2jpfzdI[/MEDIA]

marieke

I watched that film yesterday, it's wonderful to see how well clickertraining works. I bought a clicker last week, watching you do it helps me doing it better too.

I think I'll give the honey or marmelade a try. Guus is always hungry, he'll probably find that using his paw is the best way to get to the good stuff.

marieke

I just got a book I ordered in the mail. They teach the "shame" strick by putting an elastic band around the mouth. I think that might work too, it definately won't fall off that's for sure.