Shelter Dog Lab/husky?

Mr-Remington

Experienced Member
I've been volunteering at the animal shelter lately, and today I walked the sweetest dog. They are saying she is a lab/husky mix.
Here is the link(Sorry it is so long.)
http://www.petharbor.com/detail.asp?ID=A0969387&LOCATION=RVSD&searchtype=ADOPT&start=4&friends=1&samaritans=1&nosuccess=0&rows=10&imght=120&imgres=thumb&view=sysadm.v_rvsd&bgcolor=cdba96&text=3a1d00&link=3a1d00&alink=b3c95a&vlink=00ccff&fontface=verdana&fontsize=10&col_hdr_bg=97694F&col_bg=00ccff&col_bg2=00d8ff&SBG=00ccff&zip=92503&miles=100&shelterlist='RVSD'&atype=&where=type_DOG,gender_f,age_y

photo.JPG

I was wondering if you guys agree with it? Some of the other volunteers think lab but not husky. I've never seen a dog like her, but she isn't that big and shes already 7 months. I ask cause if she doesn't get adopted. I'm considering adopting her myself.

Mutt

Experienced Member
I don't see husky (coat doesn't match and she has a very broad head). I think more something like lab/staffordshire.
But I would need to see more pictures to be certain (it still is a guess and for all we know she is just a mutt x mutt, looks are often misleading).

But what would the breed make any difference? Her personality won't change if she turns out to be a whole other kind of breed. Or is it just curiosity ;)

MaryK

Honored Member
I agree Mutt I don't see Husky either, same reasons. I immediately thought Staffie with that head, but the ears have me puzzled, they're pricked. Neither Staffies or Labs have pricked ears. I think Mom or Dad or more likly both were good mixers!:rolleyes:

Am again in agreement with Mutt, she's beautiful and her personality won't change whatever her breed(s) maybe, she'll still be sweet and loving:)

Love her name it suits her:love:

Evie

Experienced Member
I'd have to agree with Mutt.

I've seen a few lab x husky before and they didn't look anything like that..... (I actually tried to adopt a 6 month old one before I bought Evie but my landlord was a week too slow to get me the piece of paper saying I was allowed to have a dog :mad:)

Here's the pic of one of the ones I was looking at adopting (there was three)

Mr-Remington

Experienced Member
But what would the breed make any difference? Her personality won't change if she turns out to be a whole other kind of breed. Or is it just curiosity ;)
I'm curious:) But also I help run an in home daycare, with my sister and mother. Since its at my house I can't legally have any bully breeds, rotties, dobermans, or anything considered aggressive.:cautious: If she were to grow up and look pittie, I wouldn't have the heart to get rid of her so I'd be out of a job. :rolleyes:

I love bully breeds, and I've wanted one since my sister sold hers, so even if she has bully breed in her, it doesn't make me want her any less. Shes small, only around 30 something pounds, or at least smaller then Remington, and hes around 50 pounds now, so even if shes got bully it doesn't show in size. :D

Mr-Remington

Experienced Member
I'd have to agree with Mutt.

I've seen a few lab x husky before and they didn't look anything like that..... (I actually tried to adopt a 6 month old one before I bought Evie but my landlord was a week too slow to get me the piece of paper saying I was allowed to have a dog :mad:)

Here's the pic of one of the ones I was looking at adopting (there was three)

I googled the mix when I got home, and I didn't see anything that looked like her. But a lab/husky mix is adorable:X3:.

Mr-Remington

Experienced Member
So after doing a lot of research and talking to some people that own a dog in looks to Mimosa, I have come to the conclusion that she is a Carolina Dog. Or at least some part. She has the temperament, and the face of the breed. What do you guys think?

Mutt

Experienced Member
I don't really believe that to be honost. The carolina dog is quit rare (even though their roots are in the US).
She looks to me like a typical mutt: average built, no extrimities, common color. The average spanish streetdog fits that profile. She also has a much broader head (muzzle) than a carolina dog.
It wouldn't be the first that the 'breed' of a dog determined by looks turns out to be completely wrong ;).
But like I said it wouldn't matter to me ;) and I hope she finds a new home quickly. This post also isn't in any way meant negatively :)

MaryK

Honored Member
I agree with Mutt, she looks like a very beautiful Mutt, with an extremely sociable family tree:LOL:

Whatever, she's adorable and I'd adopt her if I could!

Honored Member
I don't really believe that to be honost. The carolina dog is quit rare (even though their roots are in the US).
She looks to me like a typical mutt: average built, no extrimities, common color. The average spanish streetdog fits that profile. She also has a much broader head (muzzle) than a carolina dog.
It wouldn't be the first that the 'breed' of a dog determined by looks turns out to be completely wrong ;).
But like I said it wouldn't matter to me ;) and I hope she finds a new home quickly. This post also isn't in any way meant negatively :)
I agree with this.
I think a lot of mutts have probably got completely different breeds in them than what they look.

Holly is a good example of this. Most people guess either Cairn Terrier or Border Terrier, or they just ask what kind of terrier she is :rolleyes: . I've even had someone with a Border Terrier (it was standing right next to Holly) saying that she must be a Border or at least part Border. But she has no Border Terrier in her at all as far as I know O_o .
Someone at agility breeds Border Terriers and even she thinks Holly is a Border or Border cross. She said the way her ears sit is very Border, although you would never get a Border the colour of Holly or with a curly tail and Holly doesn't have a wire coat.
From her looks Holly would easily be labelled as a terrier but she isn't one and does not act like a terrier.
Holly is 1/2 Pug, 1/4 Bichon and 1/4 Fox Terrier, once people know this they start to see those breeds (eg, colour and shape is Pug, coat is Bichon (modified by the other breeds), energy and speed is Fox Terrier)

Mutt

Experienced Member
Same here 648117, every rottie owner (even a breeder) was absolutely sure that Boef is (part) rottweiler. While she is a lab (50%) x bernese (50%).
Same with Mazzel people see the lab and then think border collie (due to the markings) or american staff (due to his stocky/broad built). While Mazzel is a lab (37.5%) x golden (25%) x stabyhoun (37.5%)