Making a dog shake?

nereis

I want to capture 'shake', but Alfie just doesn't do it enough! Obviously being wet makes him do it, but I hate having a wet dog, and it's still too cold for regular swims in the lake or the sea. He'll sometimes do it after being brushed but does anyone have any other suggestions?

chevycgc

My dogs all do this after a bath but I put it to a command so they will do this when I need them to just before I start drying. I started it just by blowing in their ears. Yes they were more inclined to do it because they were wet but now when I ask them to shake, they do but I haven't try to transferred it to outside the bathtub. Maybe I should...

szecsuani

Experienced Member
I am teaching that trick now, and the only thing I do is click when she shakes after brushing (she always does it after brushing).
So I am just trying to be patient, and wait until she understands that shaking is good:)

leema

I have also heard of blowing in the dogs' ear... Some suggest using a straw.
I have heard because it is more an 'impulse' behaviour, dogs have a heard time repeating it. So if you ask for 5 in a row, the first will be awesome, and then they'll decline, and the 5th will be loserish. If you wait 5 minutes and ask again, you can get some more awesomes.
However, I think ear blows is more a head shake...

storm22

Experienced Member
storm always shakes if you just put a little water between his shoulders and ears so you could try that

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
storm22;5656 said:
storm always shakes if you just put a little water between his shoulders and ears so you could try that
Good idea, I will try that with my dogs see how it goes. :) Thanks for the tip storm!

hockey390

I'm not sure if this happens with anyone else's dog, but mine often does it when she first gets out of bed in the morning and sometimes after she eats dinner..

sammy1

Try using a spray in skin conditioner, it dries quickly and they all usually smell pretty good. The spray will eventually be the cue and you can fade that out with a vebal association. Have fun