House Manners!

Chardogs

I have been training my pup for quite a while now and he now knows not to come inside without "asking" (shaking paws). He refuses to come in the house without doing so. Is there anybody else who has taught their dog house manners?

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
AW THAT IS SO CUTE!!!:love:
Very cute dogs!!
nope, i have never even heard of this, clever!
So, dog has to stop, and wave his paws prior to coming in house, is that right?

Depends on what you mean by "door manners" i guess!:p
We've trained Buddy to hold a sit :D when i open the door for visitors,
and that he can not ever exit that front door,:D unless i tell him okay.

We have trained our dog to bark one(1) time, if he wants to come back inside. (IF his doggie door is not open).
This is very handy for US, ;) to know when dog wants back in. (he used to just sit there and wait, :( and wait, til someone noticed him, now he barks one(1) bark to let us know he wants back in).

but, having a dog wave to get to come in is very cute!!:ROFLMAO::LOL::D KUDOS ON CUTE TRICK!!

GEORGE'SDAD

Mine just come and go as they please, yesterday i forgot to kennel them when I left for drill (my wife is out of town visiting her dad). They were out and home alone for 10+ hours and were asleep on the living room floor when i got home!!! Such good dogs! I was worried all day about them destroying something but everything was just as i had left it when i got home! George and Max both need to learn better manners when someone rings the doorbell. They both bark and run to the door, then when the door is open, i can sometimes get them to sit and stay, if it is someone they know, but if it is a stranger, I have to go outside to greet them otherwise the dogs go nuts!!! But if I tell the person to ignore them until they calm down so they don't encourage the unwanted behavior, after about 15 seconds or so, they realize if they want attention, they need to sit! So we ARE improving!!!:rolleyes:(y)

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
George'sDad, that one is not too hard to fix,
teaching a dog to hold a sit when you open the door.

I began with my putting dog in sit, open door one inch. Naturally, Bud ran over to stick his nose in the one inch open door. no treat.
close door. no corrections, just close door.
start over.

Pleasantly put dog back in sit.
Try again. sooner or later, the dog will come to understand, "OHhhh, dad wants me to keep my butt on the floor when he opens the door one inch, okay, gotcha!":D
and when dog DOES hold his sit for a one inch open door, CLICK/TREAT.

repeat, repeat, etc.
Overtime, advance to a door open five inches, ten inches, slowly slowly, advancing along.

Once dogs finally master sitting there to a fully open door,:D
now train dogs to be able to do SAME THING,
after you have knocked on the door. (increases excitement). Btw, dogs still bark, even when they WATCH YOU knocking on door!!:rolleyes::LOL: :ROFLMAO: no volunteers needed yet!!:LOL:

advance along, so dogs know, when you ask for a sit, and begin to open the door after an exciting door knock, that the dogs DO hold that sit.

Then train all over again, for dogs to hold a sit for a doorbell,
dogs will bark around, even if YOU are the one who reaches out there to ring your own doorbell,:LOL:
ask for a sit. Open door one inch, then next time, open door 5 inches, and so on, CLICK/TREAT dogs holding the sit.

THEN, advance along to having a real live human on other side. (this will take time, make the friend dinner for THEIR reward!!:ROFLMAO: )

After dogs have mastered holding their sit, to that one human at the door,
help dogs generalize the idea to more and more humans, (it gets easier for each human, but that first one takes time)
teaching dogs, no matter WHO is at the door, you guys all sit down when i open the door.

this one isn't that hard, imo. Ten minute lessons, twice a day, it won't take long.
GOOD LUCK!!!

You can probably train all your dogs together,
or one at a time, whatever you think works best for your pack.

Mr-Remington

Experienced Member
I've never worked on coming in the house, cause I stay outside with Remi. But to go outside he knows to wait until given the okay. We're working on him holding a wait even when I walk away from the door and out of site.

Chardogs

When my boys come in they know to sit and wait untill I have shaken their paws. They will not come in even if the door is wide open.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
uhm, sometimes if my dog has been outside, last thing i want to touch is his paws!:censored: We get some muddy muddy springtimes where i live.
now i might want to CLEAN his paws prior to letting him indoors, though!!:ROFLMAO:

rouen

Experienced Member
Mine know they dont go outside without collars on. Dasy's better with it than Dingo though. If I open the door Dasy wont even try to leave, but Dingo might try to sneak past me, or bolt if he sees someone/something. But Dingo knows how to open the screen doors, if he doesn't have a collar on he wont push them open. :rolleyes:

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
THAT'S SO CUTE ABOUT DINGO WONT' OPEN THE DOOR WITHOUT HIS COLLAR ON!!
:ROFLMAO::LOL::p:ROFLMAO:

Slighty off topic, but, speaking of dogs and doors.
One of buddy playmates from down the street was over to play with Buddy.

His owner, a neighbor, went home, to get something, leaving her dog there, , i am outside, watching over dogs. These two dogs get on fine and have a blast chasing each other and playing.

Well, once the other owner left, her dog went nutz, and did the cutest thing! The dog STOOD UP at the gate, and PAWED AT THE LATCH!!:eek:

and since the dog has no thumbs, and could not open the gate's latch, the dog then went over to a garage door, that this dog knew could lead to out front where his owner was,
and the dog then stood up on his hind legs, steadying himself with one paw on the door,
and with his other paw, TRIED SO HARD TO MOVE THE DOOR KNOB AROUND!!:eek:

I was amazed.
then i tried to distract and play with the dog, but, dog wasn't having it, "where'd my mom go?"

Lol, my dog just sat there studying all that, probably thinking "Why didn't i ever think of THAT?"
rofl.:ROFLMAO:

Dogster

Honored Member
Shivon will sit and stay until I tell her "Okay!" . But it only works with her collar and leash ON.:rolleyes::ROFLMAO:
uhm, sometimes if my dog has been outside, last thing i want to touch is his paws!:censored: We get some muddy muddy springtimes where i live.
now i might want to CLEAN his paws prior to letting him indoors, though!!:ROFLMAO:
Ohhhh yes, I need to teach that!!!!:ROFLMAO:

GEORGE'SDAD

my mom used to have a Black Lab/Rottie mix that would sit on the rug just inside the house after she came in and wait to have her paws wiped. We never taught it, she just did it. She was such a princess!:rolleyes:

MaryK

Honored Member
Zeus will 'woof' quietly when he wants to come inside. Ra Kismet 'knocks' on the fly screen, both taught themselves those cues for 'hey I want to come inside':) . Zeus will sit, as taught, like a very good boy and wait to go out side. Ra Kismet is IMPROVING RAPIDLY with 'wait'. I can now open the door quite a way and he'll still sit there. Going to improve on this with the clicker treat;) .

Love the tips for training when pple come - will work on that one too.

Evie

Experienced Member
Lol, Love the idea of having your dog ask permission to come inside by shaking paws. SO CUTE!

When Evie was a puppy I'd ALWAYS ask her to sit and stay out at the door while I open it and only once i released her was she allowed through it.... now i'm lazy and dont do it so often, but most of the time she still glances up at me to ensure that she is allowed to pass through.

Dogster

Honored Member
Shivon will sit and stay until I tell her "Okay!" . But it only works with her collar and leash ON.:rolleyes::ROFLMAO:

Ohhhh yes, I need to teach that!!!!:ROFLMAO:
Ugh, I'm quoting myself.:confused: She does this without a collar and leash, but at the entrance to the backyard.